Thread: Shadow mastery.

Shadow mastery.

Is there a certain amount we want to aim for, before going full out mastery with 4pc t13?

My mastery seems so low(1630 or 17.09), tossing up between going back to haste until I can get more, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Cheers in advance for the feedback.

All the evidence, sims, info I have gathered for my toon suggests that mastery is superior to haste after you reach the VT+2 plateau which is 2141 or 2589 depending on whether you get DI or not.

It's rather strange the way you have worded your question, because mastery stacking doesn't become viable once you get a lot of it, infact you are pretty much saying you need to mastery stack before it's worth mastery stacking. Ironically the more of a state you get the more it's DPS effect devalues. This is one of the mitigating circumstances why stat x is good for a tier than stat y becomes more alluring (you have a lot of x therefore more of x isn't as good as more of y).

Should have worded it better, my bad.

I wasn't saying to mastery stack for it to be viable, well at least I wasn't intending too.
    I was just wondering if it went by the same rule as haste (certain plateaus give you another tick).
    Like certain amount of mastery before you start gaining an actual huge amount from your orbs, or something like that.

Anyway, thank you for your response.

For Shadow, Mastery represents a real increase in damage. In other words, Mastery makes your spells hit harder. Haste on the other hand is theoretical. That is, assuming you do the rotation perfectly, you will get more casts off and do more DPS. However, if the boss makes you move, or somehow causes you to stop casting you will see less benefit from the stat than a sim or spreadsheet might predict. Haste stacking is a sticky wicket that may look better on paper than it does in a real fight. That's not to say its a bad stat. It is clear from math and from logs, that for anyone who is any good at shadow haste is a stat you want lots of.

Haste plateaus are a bit different. That's not theoretical damage. That's another tick. That's real damage. Now, understand, it isn't the tick that makes the haste plateaus good on paper, its the fact that you can cast more filler spells before you have to refresh the dot that gives the big increase in simulated DPS. But another tick is also *real world* damage, if this is all making any sense anymore. If you screw up and don't refresh a DOT in time, or miss a filler cast or something, there's still real extra damage coming from Haste that you'd otherwise lose.

The point being, Mastery is like Old Reliable, it will always give you more damage unless you sit there and don't cast (or don't cast MB). Haste after a plateau is still good, but not as quite as good as Old Reliable, and unless you are doing the fight absolutely perfectly, Haste after a plateau may actually be giving you less DPS than advertised, depending on what kind of boss fight you are doing. There's no plateaus for Old Reliable, he's always there for you in the same amounts he's always been.

I have no idea if that makes any sense but, if you want to eke out every ounce of DPS from your character, stack Haste to the closest plateau, and reforge out of Haste down to that plateau if you cross it. VPLC will cause you to favor Crit, while 4pc t13 should trump VPLC and you should favor Mastery. If you are getting DI reliably, just keep stacking Haste. At some point you'll reach the next tick of DP (at 3202 IIRC). At that point you're pretty much geared out I believe so it is probably a non-issue.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-02-21 at 08:50 AM.

No, your gain from Mastery is pretty much linear.

Deleted
    What about reforging all haste > mastery on Madness HC?

Should I care about the 2589 cap since i'll have the haste buff on 4/5 of the platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
    What about reforging all haste > mastery on Madness HC?

Should I care about the 2589 cap since i'll have the haste buff on 4/5 of the platforms?
    you prolly want full out of mastery on both spine and madness HC on progress