Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What is your personal opinion on having to pay for a server transfer?

After 4.3 a majority of my friends, and the server's PVP population paid $55 to race change, and server transfer to Tichondrius. Since this has happened, my server has become completely dead. I haven't seen a Rated Battle Ground in over two weeks despite spending hours each day trying to organize one. I spam the trade channel looking for any 3s team, and find nothing. For a PVP player this has made the game unplayable for me, and I don't feel that I should have to pay $55 (or any amount) to enjoy this game again.

In the mean time I'll continue to play League of Legends, but if my server isn't functional by the time my subscription runs out I plan on waiting until MoP comes out and starting anew on a more lively server.

Well I primarily play random BGs, but I still agree with you. Frankly, I think none of those features should cost money, except maybe name change and appearance change. Maybe race change too. But server change and faction change should be free.

I beg to differ.
    Paying for those services is - in my opinion - a hindrance to "just go to another server". And this is good, I think.
    If you do not want to pay money to change realms, level an alt there. You know, the way it's meant to be played.
    The Fogelmensch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    All your problems in this game have the easiest of solutions. And they're usually caused by you in the first place. The sooner you see that, the sooner they're all solved.
    Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.
    Kosh

Free, no, cheaper, yes. I think $25 for a server/faction change is high enough to keep people from server hoping non stop and just being random dicks from server to server because there is zero consiquince for doing so. I dont see why every one thinks blizzard should just give them every service they have, which are optional btw, just because they are too cheap or poor to buy it. If you are just too cheap, stop being cheap, if you are poor, get off wow and get a job, if you arent old enough for a job thus you cannot get the money, be happy your parents pay for everythign in the first place and be happy.

People these days want everything handed to them. Blizard should just take away all the stuff that has improved the quality of this game for just a week so you can all see how bad it used to be. No lfr, lfd, battle.net groups, no server/faction changes, no toon changes, have to run to your battle master in their respective world location (not in a major city), then see how much you actually enjoy these things.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

all i gotta say is "suck it up buttercup". just be glad the option is there. you would rather reroll than xfer!!?? personally, i hate leveling and woulda quit this game if i hadn't been able to xfer off my first server. paid to xfer my 3 toons and my brother's 4 toons. well worth every penny. just so freaken glad the option was there.

Deleted
    I didn't have a problem with transfer fee's, I'v actually bought 3-4 of them but seeing how Rift added free transfers and Guild Wars 2 will also be doing aswell, its seems pretty costly these days.

Id like to see little bonuses added to your account with each expansion, maybe get 1-2 server transfers for free or something, but if people are still willing to pay the fee's then Blizzard has no reason to change the system, you cant blame then really.

Deleted
    I love the option, but the cost is too great.
    20eur for a serverchange and 25 for a factionchange, such bullshit really.
    There needs to be a cost to make people hold back at least a little (but in the end, if people want out, they'll pretty much pay anything), but the current costs are basicly insane, especially because there's no removal of extra costs for alts. 200eur to xfer all your characters on a server (not even including faction change), you've got to be kidding me.
    What makes it worse is that these circle around circumstances you have no control over either, Blizzard will never admit defeat and merge servers (if thats even technically possible), so unless you love being on a dead server due to circumstances beyond your control, you can cough up 200eur to enjoy your game again, its just beyond ridiculus.

10eur for a factionchange, 5eur for a transfer sounds MORE than reasonable.

I'm not exactly poor, but spending so much money on virtual valuta is completely stupid
    Last edited by mmocd74118d970; 2012-02-21 at 10:14 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a good reason that it cost that "much". If it were lower, you would see realm hoppers everywhere. And I think it could do more harm than the store pets to server economies.

Just think it like this.

Something costs 10g on realm A and is in high supply.
    Samething costs 100g on realm B and is in high demand. But low supply.

Server transfer now costs 5€/$5. Someone buys out all of realm As supply and unload on realm B. Everything sells. Person transfer back to Realm A with 10times as much money.

Okay, 1 thing that's wrong in that is that you can only take 50k with you when you move server. If they made it cheaper they would have to lower it as well. Or make items that you transfer with soulbound so they can't be sold again.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosty View Post
    I love the option, but the cost is too great.
    20eur for a serverchange and 25 for a factionchange, such bullshit really.
    There needs to be a cost to make people hold back at least a little (but in the end, if people want out, they'll pretty much pay anything), but the current costs are basicly insane, especially because there's no removal of extra costs for alts. 200eur to xfer all your characters on a server (not even including faction change), you've got to be kidding me.
    What makes it worse is that these circle around circumstances you have no control over either, Blizzard will never admit defeat and merge servers (if thats even technically possible), so unless you love being on a dead server due to circumstances beyond your control, you can cough up 200eur to enjoy your game again, its just beyond ridiculus.

10eur for a factionchange, 5eur for a transfer sounds MORE than reasonable.

I'm not exactly poor, but spending so much money on virtual valuta is completely stupid
    You can make new characters on the new realm.
    You had a long time to see and stop leveling . How can you have 10 85s on a dead realm ? "i just leveled 85 , hmm , realm is dead , ill just level another 9 then" makes no sense . No.
    Make it 5$ , all alliance players will go horde , even on some full realms , alliance side is pretty much dead ( my realm Kazzak is like that ) .
    This wont solve anything for the people who dont have a credit card .

In the end its not blizzards fault you leveled 10 85s on a dead realm and you have to pay 500$ to transfer them .

Deleted
    I'll agree there's certain exploits as you mentioned people would take advantage of, but really, to pay 200eur for a serverchange (unless you will level up your chars again), and up to 500eur if those include a factionchange, really? i mean, really? -.-
    It's one thing that this idea was discussed & launched back in vanilla or perhaps even TBC days, when people didn't have a lot of extra characters they put work into, and i'm sure not everyone has 10 characters to transfer off, but for those that do it's just beyond silly.

Other than abuse of exploits, you simply cannot blame people for wanting to get out of a dead server, a server thats going dead on numbers will go down no matter what, there's probably a few exceptions where they managed to pull up the numbers a little bit again with "new players"-tags and free server changes, but in the end if it looks bad, it'll go worse, i've been on two servers like that, and after all these years, i can't say im shocked in the slightest that they're still completely dead.
    The people that stay either can't afford the huge costs, or have memories or friends staying around, but i doubt they're enjoying themselves a lot, and they're the ones suffering from Blizzard refusing to admit defeat, even after publishing their extreme drops in numbers the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by I-like-chocolate-milk View Post
    You can make new characters on the new realm.
    You had a long time to see and stop leveling . How can you have 10 85s on a dead realm ? "i just leveled 85 , hmm , realm is dead , ill just level another 9 then" makes no sense . No.
    Make it 5$ , all alliance players will go horde , even on some full realms , alliance side is pretty much dead ( my realm Kazzak is like that ) .
    This wont solve anything for the people who dont have a credit card .

In the end its not blizzards fault you leveled 10 85s on a dead realm and you have to pay 500$ to transfer them .
    Um, you realise dead realms don't start out dead though? It can happen to any realm.
    Besides, if your alliance side is almost dead, how exactly would it make it worse if they could all go horde, nomore alliance for horde to stomp on due to numbers? The alliance that factionchanged able to enjoy themselves on horde with more people to do things with?
    You're forcing a minority to stick around to please the majority on the other side.
    I'm not going to deny a server full of horde and zero alliance sounds even more ridiculus though, i'm just saying they need to start merging servers (if not technically possible, just move the characters from one to another), because with the current state of wow on the decline, the costs of faction & server changes absolutely does not justify the means.
    Last edited by mmocd74118d970; 2012-02-21 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fogel View Post
    I beg to differ.
    Paying for those services is - in my opinion - a hindrance to "just go to another server". And this is good, I think.
    If you do not want to pay money to change realms, level an alt there. You know, the way it's meant to be played.
    I actually considered that, but by the time I leveled to 85, I would be looking at 2-3 months to get enough Cataclysmic gear that is mandatory for competitive arenas. Thus, I don't feel that I should have to pay real life money to enjoy the game that is no longer playable through no fault of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosty View Post
    I'll agree there's certain exploits as you mentioned people would take advantage of, but really, to pay 200eur for a serverchange (unless you will level up your chars again), and up to 500eur if those include a factionchange, really? i mean, really?.
    Yes, and I have 3 characters in full Cataclysmic gear. We're talking anywhere from $75 to $165 total. The one guy suggested leveling an alt, and re-gearing him, which is an okay suggestion (although it seems a bit harsh as I just spent 3 months gearing these characters). I would still be looking at 3-4 months before I would even be considered for 2K+ rating arena groups, and even then I would lack the achievements I've earned that would likely get me an invite.
    Last edited by Jersovic; 2012-02-21 at 10:32 AM.

Deleted
    Why would you ever want to transfer 10 chars? Its physically impossible you play all of them, pvping or raiding.Just transfer your main(+1/2 alts max) and if you want professions or whatever level new ones.

The ulitmate irony is with shared achievements coming in mop you basically get a free server change if you think about it

cause leveling is super quick these days
    you can mold a new player to look like your old main
    if your lucky you can name it the same
    and all your achievements will be there

it does suck though that your items wont be there but thats life i guess

OT: i personally think its a outrageous ripoff and that it should be free and have a CD of a couple of months for a server change to stop constant server jumping
    but i guess as long as people are willing to pay it will stay the same

Deleted
    I wouldn't want it to be free, people will abuse it, and you'll have massively fluctuating populations and it'll support FOTM servers and people will just jumpship to join guilds recruiting for a month on one server and then hop off again rather than work with what they've got. If people really want to move; they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I actually considered that, but by the time I leveled to 85, I would be looking at 2-3 months to get enough Cataclysmic gear that is mandatory for competitive arenas. Thus, I don't feel that I should have to pay real life money to enjoy the game that is no longer playable through no fault of my own.
    So you want something, but don't want to put in the effort.., therefor something that works and keeps people from realm jumping should be removed, I see little logic there.

If the cost of realm + faction change is to great in one lump sum, do the realm change n' collect some conquest until you have enough for the faction change.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I wouldn't want it to be free, people will abuse it, and you'll have massively fluctuating populations and it'll support FOTM servers and people will just jumpship to join guilds recruiting for a month on one server and then hop off again rather than work with what they've got. If people really want to move; they can.
    I could see why it would be abused, but in the case where a player can literally prove that his server is unplayable, I don't feel that he or she should be charged 25-55 per character just to be able to play the game again. Make the cool down on free server transfers 3-6 months or something to that nature. Of course this is fantasy, I know that a large portion of Blizzard's revenue comes from the paid services, but if Warcraft isn't playable for me before it becomes time to re-subscribe, I am definitely waiting for MoP to come out. The idea of re-grinding honor and conquest for another 4 months isn't exactly exciting, and by the time I was able to enjoy the game again, MoP wouldn't be too far off in the distance, lol! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post

Yes, and I have 3 characters in full Cataclysmic gear. We're talking anywhere from $75 to $165 total. The one guy suggested leveling an alt, and re-gearing him, which is an okay suggestion (although it seems a bit harsh as I just spent 3 months gearing these characters). I would still be looking at 3-4 months before I would even be considered for 2K+ rating arena groups, and even then I would lack the achievements I've earned that would likely get me an invite.
    But - as you wrote - most of your friends are on Tichondrius. Level your alt there, ask for their support, that's in my opinion the most social thing to do.
    Sorry, if this may sound harsh, but: Pay to play, or play to play. I've changed servers and factions because of my preference for competitive night raiding. My old realm did not have a single night raid guild. So I just paid 45 bucks and went for it.

One possibility for you may be to transfer one character (your "preferred one"), and level your alts there. So you got one competitive character and could bring your other characters up to speed in a reasonable amount of time.
    The Fogelmensch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    All your problems in this game have the easiest of solutions. And they're usually caused by you in the first place. The sooner you see that, the sooner they're all solved.
    Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.
    Kosh

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    So you want something, but don't want to put in the effort.., therefor something that works and keeps people from realm jumping should be removed, I see little logic there.

If the cost of realm + faction change is to great in one lump sum, do the realm change n' collect some conquest until you have enough for the faction change.
    So leveling three characters to 85, and fully gearing them out doesn't count as putting the effort in? I should now be willing to do this a second time, knowing damn well that the Arena season will virtually be over by the time I finished? I have to disagree with you. I put my time in. The game became unplayable through no fault of my own. I shouldn't have to turn around and do the same boring grind again and hope that the server I chose this time doesn't die out, and that I am able to compete in the Arenas before the season ends. For some people, I understand that spending $150+ on a $60 video game seems normal, but I assure you that the larger portion of society will disagree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo it is incredibly cheap when compared to the hundreds of days of playtime i have on my main, besides I would hate to see what would happen to realm economies if it was free.

All I can say is wow. People really have a sense of entitlement now. This is an issue going on throughout society right now, from the EU to the US. If I don't like something I want it changed now to suit my needs and I want it for free. Like someone owes you or something.

How about this, pick 1 or 2 toons to transfer and pay the $25-$50. Not sure why you keep saying $55/character, maybe to exaggerate your point, because you do not need a race change.
    "Peace is a lie"