Thread: Hunter PVP

Hunter PVP

I am new to the hunter class at max lvl and decided to make him my pvp toon now my question is what is a good amount of resil to have and what TRINKETS should i use, also what is the "pvp spec" to use and pet? I am currently mm and have a spider as a pet. any help would be appreciated ty

I will be doing rated bg's and some areana

Did you do any research for yourself? ;o

Just check one of the guides, either on here or AJ if it's been updated.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-02-20 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunter PvP
    And now for our next comedian....
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are represented well in some Arena teams and in Rated BGs (theoretically) are fine... although it will be nice when they remove the minimum range...

Deleted
    Hey there original poster. To answer some of your questions. MM is the typical PVP spec with silencing shot and readiness, Movement speed increase after you disengage. The pet you should be using is the monkey for monkey stun ( bad manneer ). That is what Hunters will use in arena as extra CC ( scatter shot - trap - monkey stun ) note that is shares diminishing returns with a rogues blind for example. Although a spider is OK for BG's for the root, this will most likely be instantly dispelled in arena. Also as MM using a cunning pet you will have access to roar of sacrifice ( you become immune to crits but some damage is transfered to pet ) this is very good against classes like ferals and mages who crit alot. MM can also have great burst in the opener with rapid fire nd then aimed shot, chimera shot out of camoflage.
    The other spec is BM. BM is centered around the damage from your pet with kill command. Here you will want to use a spirit beast for damage and spirit mend ( a heal on a 28 sec cd ) also note you should have more than one spirit beast or monkey on you as you can use their abilities and dismiss and pull a new pet with roar of sac or spirit mend on a new cooldown. BM is mainly BIG burst damage on a 1minute 17 sec cd ( glyphed ) this ability is called beastial wrath. This is most effective macrod with on use trinket ( not the proc one ) orc racial ( if an orc ) and other pet abilities like rabid and call of the wild. It lasts for 10 seconds but you will be able to spam arcane shot and kill command whenever its off CD. A good amount of resil to go for is as much as you can imo. As hunters are quite squishy and only have 1 heal ( limited to BM ) the more resiliance the better. I would recommend on use trinkets for both specs.
    If you like control and alot of CC then go with MM. If you like big burst damage and a bit of healing go with BM.
    Sorry I cant really shed light on survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Hunters are represented well in some Arena teams and in Rated BGs (theoretically) are fine... although it will be nice when they remove the minimum range...
    ? You do realize hunters are dead last in top 2000 rated battlegrounds on blizzards own site by a lot?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/batt...pecType=filter

Hunters 62 next lowest is locks at 182

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    ? You do realize hunters are dead last in top 2000 rated battlegrounds on blizzards own site by a lot?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/batt...pecType=filter

Hunters 62 next lowest is locks at 182
    Maintaince, we cant see shit.

Quote Originally Posted by parish View Post
    Maintaince, we cant see shit.
    odd having no problems getting to the site right now.

Hunters need a fix, and with no dead zone in MOP, that might be just enough to give us what we need. Maybe.

Oh, and I'm thinking the OP is a troll. No way someone is that clueless. Even while leveling, they have some idea of what spec to go and what pet to use when they hit 85. Unless they've been leveling without a guild, talking to no one, never doing dungeons...
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Deleted
    I find Survival to be a lot of fun in pvp. I just started pvp (mainly bg's and 2v2 arena) in general so bear with me. Survival has some nice tricks to give you the edge in a fight. Improved traps provides fast and more powerful trapping and some cc. Wyvern sting has it's uses as a quick cc to give you some breathing room, but the 1 min CD makes it a one-off in most 1v1 fights.
    Survivals best trick is Explosive Shot - High dmg over short time paired with Lock n' Load procs gives you excellent burst dmg.
    Serpent spread is useful when fighting multiple rogues to prevent them from vanishing (mainly BG use).

A few things survival is lacking is increased mobility and an interrupt. And as you may have noticed, most of survivals good tricks are located in the first 2 tiers meaning the other specs can access those as well, though a survival hunter can utilize more of them.

*As a side note: I find BM to be too dependant on a (let's face it) stupid animal, who has a tendency to run off and do weird things
    Last edited by mmocacc953e7b1; 2012-02-22 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    I am new to the hunter class at max lvl and decided to make him my pvp toon now my question is what is a good amount of resil to have and what TRINKETS should i use, also what is the "pvp spec" to use and pet? I am currently mm and have a spider as a pet. any help would be appreciated ty

I will be doing rated bg's and some areana
    at least 4000 resil

if you're new, you will likely have average pve trinkets and low resil. so you would want to go with both pvp trinkets. on use agility and a medallion. or, if you're human, 2 on use agility trinkets.

MM tends to be preferred in arena. readiness and silencing shot are key. MM or BM work in BGs. BM can be fun for zerging down people (pop trinkets and BW and spam arcane shot).

spider works, thats what i use most of the time. other common choices are monkey (for blinding people into traps), or a spirit beast as BM for the heals.

edit: SV is ok-ish in BGs. but against an organised group, they will just keep clearing your SrS and BA, and your dmg will be kinda weak

why would i be trolling when im asking a specific question I am more of a pve person and this is my first real pvp toon and just being in a guild doesnt mean the ppl there will give you the right info thats why i asked a larger community. And i asked for specific PVP ADVICE not hunter advice in general. I know how to play a hunter in pve, and as you said about me being clueless, in PVP yes i am cause i never did it seriously.

For those of you that gave me advice ty very much its been very helpful.
    Last edited by Doughboy; 2012-02-22 at 05:00 PM.

Hunters in PvP require a lot of finesse and even practice if you're not fond with them and you'll need to put in quite some effort into getting used to things like kiting and dealing with other classes' CDs/burst opportunities, etc. Specifically, lets talk about BGs since the gap between BGs and Arenas is quite big, and this will save people from arguing since I have been playing both extensively since the start of TBC.

On a general note, hunters are one of the most vulnerable classes in the game against casters and a lot will say you simply need to know what you are doing, including kiting, cooldown management and CC, since Hunters in PvP are based on those most 3 important things, along with co-ordination in Arenas (but we'll get to that later). This is because our biggest defensive CD doesn't prevent you from taking damage aginst DoTs and some pets will still attack you through detterence.

For starters, if you haven't already, check out Braindeadly's macro video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLTAV4qWJk
    He is one of the best Hunters in PvP in the world atm, and hunters tend to have a lot of macros and binds. Familiarize yourself with some of them and maybe even practice using them in duels. Key important ones are the Roar of Sacrifice, Master's Call and pet CC macros. Subscribe to him, watch some of his videos, observe his movement and how he positions himself in the Arena. Perhaps even ask him some questions - he is a nice guy

So you will want to be spec'd into MM, and use either a Spider or a Monkey, depending on the situation. Remember, you can switch pets even in combat if you can afford to, and that will allow you to gain additional CC and even a Roar of Sacrifice. For resilience, aim 4000 at the bare minimum. 4200-4400 is your goal for the future if you can reach that. If you can get the T13 2PC and maintain 4k+ resi, that will boost your DPS a lot, and pressure is a huge factor since we're not frost mages who can do 30k frostbolt crits constantly.

As far as your damaging abilities go, you'll want to use Chimera Shot everytime it is off CD, and you don't have to put serpent sting on your target first. Dump a lot of arcane shots and only used aimed on the target if they are at or above 90% or MMM procs. Another very important note is to only use silencing shot if the target is casting or to smartly use it on other classes like a resto druid or even a DK who is sitting at low HP to prevent it from using AMS; the situation will vary of course, but don't just cast things.
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2012-02-22 at 05:44 PM.

my hunter has 4.1k res (ish) and im still able to do 20k+dpss on bosses in 5 mans and 28k dps on balinda and van in av. im not totally unkillable, but i have the perfect balance oof survivability damage and skill to make me extremely annoying for healers and casters. the skill part comes in when i have a feral druid or rogue on me lol, i have to get away from someone who can constantly catch up to me >.<