1. #1

    No Build Commitment with Skill Cooldowns of 15 seconds...

    How can Jay Wilson think changing skills at a whim is customization. I basically feel like im playing a console game that I can just pick and choose what skills I want for whichever fight is coming up next. I thought runes were going to somewhat lock down your build once you selected your 6 skills. Now even runes do not have cooldowns, only the skill takes 15 seconds to cooldown.



    So basically you run around playing with any skill you want just like the guy next to you. If your running with 4 mages your all the same because you can just change your skills every 15 seconds. Where is the build commitment?.....Customization with "~1 billion +" skill combinations is only fun if the guy next to you cant just wait 15 seconds and be exactly like you.


    God this is horrible.

    Why would I try different skills if I know x skill will kill Y mob in half the time , if I just swap it out and lawl?


    This is just like switching your talent specs in wow MID FIGHT, only you dont lose your mana and there really is no downside.
    Last edited by ManOluck; 2012-02-21 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Why are you so fixated on what everyone else is doing? I've never really understood this concept. Each class has around 20 skills with 5 rune types each, so 100 abilities, plus 3 passives. Sure, the person next to you could follow you around and choose the exact same skills you're using, but why would they? With so many different possibilities for skill combinations, it seems highly unlikely you'd find many people with the exact same 6 skills, rune combinations, and passives. What did you do in D2 when you were with a group of hammerdins, or orb sorcs? Did you feel special then?

    It's a given that some spells will be more beneficial in certain scenarios. You wouldn't take all AoE spells to a single boss fight for example. But why do you think that you'll 'lawl' your way through with a spell change? What if, if you take all AoE spells to a single boss fight, you always die before you even get to 75% percent? But if you choose the correct spells, you barely manage to kill it? It's all about the tuning of the fights.
    Last edited by Dacomp89; 2012-02-21 at 06:47 PM.

  3. #3
    You'd rather the old system where if you wanted to try a different skill you'd have to make a whole new toon? No thanks. I have at one point 5 sorceresses all with different builds. Sure they made it so you had limited respecs later on (3 and you could make more with items from bosses) but the truth of the matter is it improved the quality of the game by about 100% when they introduced that.

    You haven't taken gear stats into account. What if one skill needs loads of crit to get the most out of it yet your gear is i don't know stacking haste for example. You'd need to get a whole new gear set to be optimal or at least tweak your current setup.

    Personally I love the idea of being able to change almost on the fly and with mates around that could even better. You can take turns doing different roles aka kiting, crowd control, nuking whatever it may be. Sounds great. Sure i'm not unique but frankly I don't care. Even if I came up with a build that really suited me the chances are someone else out there thought of it too.

    So you can change your skills on the fly. I recon most will eventually find a combination set they really like and just stick to that. You don't hav to use the feature if it bothers you so much. You might just find the game far harder than others who are more accpting int he approach to the game.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome zEmini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    Why are you so fixated on what everyone else is doing? I've never really understood this concept. Each class has around 20 skills with 5 rune types each, so 100 abilities, plus 3 passives. Sure, the person next to you could follow you around and choose the exact same skills you're using, but why would they? With so many different possibilities for skill combinations, it seems highly unlikely you'd find many people with the exact same 6 skills, rune combinations, and passives. What did you do in D2 when you were with a group of hammerdins, or orb sorcs? Did you feel special then?

    It's a given that some spells will be more beneficial in certain scenarios. You wouldn't take all AoE spells to a single boss fight for example. But why do you think that you'll 'lawl' your way through with a spell change? What if, if you take all AoE spells to a single boss fight, you always die before you even get to 75% percent? But if you choose the correct spells, you barely manage to kill it? It's all about the tuning of the fights.
    Yes people should be able to change their skills, but there NEEDS to be some cost to doing so.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Yes people should be able to change their skills, but there NEEDS to be some cost to doing so.
    What for, and what sort of cost do you suggest?

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    How can Jay Wilson think changing skills at a whim is customization. I basically feel like im playing a console game that I can just pick and choose what skills I want for whichever fight is coming up next. I thought runes were going to somewhat lock down your build once you selected your 6 skills. Now even runes do not have cooldowns, only the skill takes 15 seconds to cooldown.



    So basically you run around playing with any skill you want just like the guy next to you. If your running with 4 mages your all the same because you can just change your skills every 15 seconds. Where is the build commitment?.....Customization with "~1 billion +" skill combinations is only fun if the guy next to you cant just wait 15 seconds and be exactly like you.


    God this is horrible.

    Why would I try different skills if I know x skill will kill Y mob in half the time , if I just swap it out and lawl?


    This is just like switching your talent specs in wow MID FIGHT, only you dont lose your mana and there really is no downside.
    Once you get to Nightmare and on, you wont be asking questions like this. . . . . You will see that ~ pack to pack, abilities need to change. Furthermore, your knowledge of the abilities and their runes are going to be paramount in these higher difficulty levels. You will have to work as a team to get things done, switching out abilities on the fly is going to be important, coordination with your group is going to be just as important.

    So sure. . . you can have 4 wizzards shooting arcane bolts. . . . you will fail hard, but sure. . . you can do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •