Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I have seen a lot of these over the last 2-3 years.....It makes me think....Why tell people? I see one of these pop up every 2 months. It makes me wonder, are they really trying to makes us see that there is something else out there or are they trying to get something...like funding.....or they could just be trying to make us feel bad because they are not as funded as much anymore...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    No, I'd like to see us getting hit by a gigantic wave of cosmical water.
    maybe it will have some alien fish in it. if we did try to crash into it, we should try to aim it at a bit that doesnt mind getting wet, possibly canada or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    maybe it will have some alien fish in it. if we did try to crash into it, we should try to aim it at a bit that doesnt mind getting wet, possibly canada or something.
    I would pay good money to see it hit America

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    I would pay good money to see it hit America

how much we talking here? everything has a price!

--V-- see this --V--

Quote from earlier in the thread, read the article if you dont understand how they weigh planets.
    Thanks =D, thats pretty damn crazy the capabilities that we have

15+ Year Old Account
    how much we talking here? everything has a price!
    It all depends on how much money i have at the time, but it would be all of it.

Deleted
    there's not exactly much money to made in space just yet, so dont expect much commercial interest anytime soon
    http://www.virgingalactic.com/ Maybe sooner than you would think

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrnfold View Post
    http://www.virgingalactic.com/ Maybe sooner than you would think

that doesn't actually go into space though does it? thought it just near it :P i am too tired and too ill to bother reading it atm though, will read about it tomorow :P

Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Does this mean Al Gore will shut up about saving the earth? Now that its replacable and all.
    Atmosphere is 200 celsius. That's 392 degrees...

Don't think with those temps we can replace the Earth... if anything - that planet is Global warming extreme going on there! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zavius View Post
    please... tell me how they weighed the planet?
    p=m/V ?

Have volume, estimate mass by known materials, ???, star trek.
    Oswald was over hit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    No, I'd like to see us getting hit by a gigantic wave of cosmical water.
    I'm just picturing a group of scientists discussing which planet to visit first... the mineral structures, veins, distance and locations...

Then in walks a californian surfer wearing sun-glasses, swim trunks, carrying a surf board under one arm and his lab-coat slung over the other shoulder says "Yah Brah, Teh hell with that noise! Lets go Cosmic surfin' on that newly righteous planet we done just found!"

Sounds like the biggest hot tub in the universe!

Deleted
    that doesn't actually go into space though does it? thought it just near it :P i am too tired and too ill to bother reading it atm though, will read about it tomorow :P
    True but maybe, just maybe if this becomes popular there will not only be more funding, but a renewed interest in seeing more of space

You look at Earth and you're like, "Wow, there's some pretty cool things here." And then you read things like this and you get all sad. Haha, thanks for the read!

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright

That's it

Gingrich 2012

He promised a moonbase and someone's gotta get the ball rolling on space exploration.
    Putin khuliyo

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    The human race will never go to these extrasolar planets.

Our bodies are too fragile, our lifespan too short, and our physical adaptability non-existent.

Now, our decendant race however, the intelligent machines, might well do so in a fairly near future, maybe a century or two tops.
    And worst of all, our sense of adventure has been... destroyed somehow. Everything these days is profit driven; if it doesn't make money, people aren't going to do it. PERIOD.

Ohh sounds very cool. I hope it doesn't end up being made into a terrible movie... oh wait, shucks.

I think youll find its more than 100,000 times larger than the sun, going by the article "There researched found water vapor around the black hole extending hundreds of light-years in size." its a fair bit more. Assume we use 200 light years to air on the safe side (its probably a fair bit more) it comes out to about 1.35billion times the larger than the sun, in terms of diameter.
    I actually found that article referenced in another article. That was where I got the 100 000 figure.

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 03:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    And worst of all, our sense of adventure has been... destroyed somehow. Everything these days is profit driven; if it doesn't make money, people aren't going to do it. PERIOD.
    Adventure IS profitable though! If adventure weren't profitable, expeditions to find new lands to colonize would never have been funded!

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 04:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zavius View Post
    please... tell me how they weighed the planet?
    They measure extrasolar planets' dimensions by their interactions with the stars they orbit.

They take the mass of the star (which is fairly simple to calculate since stars give off spectroscopic lines to show what proportions of what elements the star is made of as well as gravitational lensing of light around it) and measure its orbit around the planet (Yes, stars have their own tiny orbits around planets). They then find the center of mass of the system and calculate how much mass the planet must have to cause that system to exist.