Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Maybe we should be more concerned with equality among humans before we start giving animals legal rights?
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, so... point?

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 10:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Narbootz View Post
    A human in the middle of the ocean alone is at the bottom of the food chain. Just sayin~
    Unless he's Aquaman.

  2. #22
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,917
    We need to get Human rights straightened out first.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I dont think you can eat dolphin meat, so there rly is no reason to kill them in the first place.
    I'm pretty sure you could eat it if you really wanted. How it tasted I would have no clue. I agree animals deserve some rights but full on human rights is a bit on the hippy side.

  4. #24
    Mechagnome Joathen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    517
    Anybody read this and immediately think of John Varley's nine worlds series of books?

    One day, the aliens will come to liberate the dolphins and whales. It is on that day, that we shall be thoroughly screwed.

  5. #25
    Mechagnome hawt09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could eat it if you really wanted. How it tasted I would have no clue. I agree animals deserve some rights but full on human rights is a bit on the hippy side.
    Yeah I'm not quite sure that it's suggesting 'full-on' Human Rights (or 'Cetacean Rights' so to speak), more something loosely based around that concept which prevents the acts of murder, slavery, and captivity.

    The Captivity thing I'm not quite sure about, I'm pretty sure even if it came about that they'd still be in Sea-World, only they would be considered employees and would have to willingly demonstrate their compliance with working there.

    Sounds silly, but I'm pretty sure they'd find a way around it, hell, they can make Dolphins do anything at Sea-World.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    A little off topic but I've always felt a bit queasy about eating dragon flank in WoW . . . wouldn't that count as cannibalism? Dragons are sentient after all. And while I would like a bite of Alexstrazsa's ass (if you know what I mean) that's not quite how I imagined it.

    OT: The question is, are they intelligent enough to be anywhere near a human intelligence? They are very smart from what I understand but they are still . . . animals for lack of a better word. Cognitive reasoning and logic isn't enough, ants can do that after all. I'd say, in order to be on our level, they have to understand more abstract concepts and at a high degree.
    There is a cannibalism food vendor....WoW has taken their stance on this =P lol
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  7. #27
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, so... point?
    If we are unable to make the majority of humanity equalish, it's the height of arrogance to think that we can protect the rights of creatures we still can't truly communicate with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If we are unable to make the majority of humanity equalish, it's the height of arrogance to think that we can protect the rights of creatures we still can't truly communicate with.
    I still don't see the issue.

  9. #29
    Mechagnome hawt09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If we are unable to make the majority of humanity equalish, it's the height of arrogance to think that we can protect the rights of creatures we still can't truly communicate with.
    On paper, every human being does have the same rights. The willingness of states and individuals to respect said rights to the required level however, is probably unobtainable.

    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your point and agree. But I don't see human tyranny or oppression ever being a factor that is absent from our world.

  10. #30
    I'm not 100% sure about this but I heard somewhere that some dolphins have a higher IQ than some very dim humans. Anyone able to find a source for this?
    Raaaa!

  11. #31
    Good god, its an animal. It isn't a human. It deserves nothing of my rights. All it needs is to be treated fairly and not hunted to extinction.

  12. #32
    what the hell? Those who came up with this idea even less intelligent than dolphins. The guy above me says the truth, they're animals not
    "OMG DOLHPINS ARE F*CUKIN GENIUSES"...
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-02-22 at 04:21 AM.

  13. #33
    If dolphins are so smart then why do they live in igloos?
    Higgledy-piggledy Lord Wyman Manderly
    Sups with his foes, leaving Nary a crumb.

    Wolvering wolverenes Incontrovertibly
    Tell all who hearken that Winter is come.

  14. #34
    I am Murloc! ita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Malmö
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrwaherr View Post
    Humans are at the top of the food chain. Deal with it.
    Actually humans are naturally herbivores so they are at the bottom of the food chain. They aren't even omnivores based on the teeth and stomach and other anatomical facts. Humans just started eating meat at some point because their tools allowed it (spears, rocks for hunting, knives and other stuff for processing).

    But OT, I'm all for it. I hope they give the same right to apes, monkeys and some other intelligent species in the future if it passes. Well, any mammal above vermins really.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

  15. #35
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,498
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Actually humans are naturally herbivores so they are at the bottom of the food chain. They aren't even omnivores based on the teeth and stomach and other anatomical facts. Humans just started eating meat at some point because their tools allowed it (spears, rocks for hunting, knives and other stuff for processing).
    Your claim demands scientific evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  16. #36
    If only animals gave a crap about us as much as we gave a crap about them. Why are humans holding themselves to a higher standard? Just because we have a society? Dolphins have a society and sure maybe they don't run lab experiments on fish, but i have heard stories of them playing with prey before they eat it. Im pretty sure dolphins dont give a crap about the food that they are eating when its being eaten. Why do we have to care so much about other animals that will eventually die out anyway just like us.

    Btw my favorite animal is a dolphin btw. So cute and smart. Only reason i even came to this thread.

  17. #37
    I'd say we should be concerned with equal rights for people across the world before we start worrying about equal rights for marine animals.

    Also, dolphins will fly away and simply thank us for the fish we have fed them throughout history if the going gets bad enough for them

  18. #38
    Stood in the Fire Spritely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I dont think you can eat dolphin meat, so there rly is no reason to kill them in the first place.
    For a long time now one of the ways of hunting/fishing tuna has been to go where schools of dolphins are and start casting nets. Many dolphins have died to this practice. "Dolphin Safe" tuna simply means that they don't search out dolphins first to find the tuna, not that no dolphins were harmed in the process. Many dolphins still die every year to tuna fishers.

    Anyway, I find that whole idea weird. Why would it stop them from being used for entertainment purposes? By that logic, no humans should ever be in the entertainment business. Dolphins are extremely social creatures, they LIKE that social interaction they get from learning these things and performing them. They're paid for their work also (hello food). Not all dolphins in captivity would survive if they were released.

  19. #39
    Mechagnome hawt09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If only animals gave a crap about us as much as we gave a crap about them. Why are humans holding themselves to a higher standard? Just because we have a society? Dolphins have a society and sure maybe they don't run lab experiments on fish, but i have heard stories of them playing with prey before they eat it. Im pretty sure dolphins dont give a crap about the food that they are eating when its being eaten. Why do we have to care so much about other animals that will eventually die out anyway just like us.

    Btw my favorite animal is a dolphin btw. So cute and smart. Only reason i even came to this thread.
    As in reality, nobody really gives a crap about anybody, the last century alone has showed us this; while dolphins may play with food, we round up members of our own species and execute them en-mass for reasons they otherwise cannot control.

    Eco-systems are incredibly delicate, whilst it inevitably will not be possible to 100% safeguard them, minimising the damage is fairly significant due to the ripple effects that effect countless other factors. Extermination of predators in certain parts of the world has led to an unsustainable number of grazers for example, which have in turn over harvested the land and caused damage to both the people, and the other wildlife.

    Just because we can't shove an animal in an enclosure and breed them en-mass for food doesn't mean they're not important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    Anyway, I find that whole idea weird. Why would it stop them from being used for entertainment purposes? By that logic, no humans should ever be in the entertainment business. Dolphins are extremely social creatures, they LIKE that social interaction they get from learning these things and performing them. They're paid for their work also (hello food). Not all dolphins in captivity would survive if they were released.
    The argument in this instance is regarding slavery, many animal rights group liken the captivity of animals to holding them against their will, hence slavery or the denial of freedom.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by hawt09 View Post
    Just found this whilst trawling the BBC site, piqued my interest:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17116882

    The consensus of a meeting in Canada is that dolphins and Cetaceans in general should have their own Declaration of Rights which would ultimately prevent them from being used in entertainment purposes, wholly protect them from hunting, and (hopefully) guarantee them absolute freedom as a normal person should do.

    This is based upon scientific investigations into the complexity and brain capacity of dolphins, among some remarkable stories is the realisation that Cetaceans understand a concept of 'self', as humans do.

    Any thoughts? Not quite sure where I stand on the issue, I recognise that these are incredibly intelligent beings, however as a human, I don't frequently get myself entangled in tuna nets. The implications of 'accidents' where the death of a whale / dolphin might be accidentally caused by mundane means could be quite drastic if they are by law, given some of the same protection as human beings are.

    I want you try to see a tuna net in the deep waters of the ocean. Dolphins recognize themselves in mirrors, and know when alterations have been made to their bodies (such as markings, etc.) They also have senses of humor and play pranks and do things just for the fun/pleasure of it. (Sex, tag games, messing with fish, pranking other dolphins.) This is only characteristic in Humans and DOLPHINS, as a species to be able to evolve to this degree has to have no primitive instincts that keeps them in Fight/Flight mode 24/7 (as all species do besides Humans, entirely) meaning Dolphin's brains have evolved from this fight/flight auto mode and are now on the next level. Domestic dogs don't even have this (they're only comfortable around Humans, etc. because of years of select breeding for traits, and their pact instinct.) Also, we don't fully understand Dolphin communication, but there is tons of evidence and witnesses to Dolphins intricately communicating with each other. They also have an ability to understand Human language and grammatical sentence structure. They know the difference between (S, O, V) and (S, V, O) even if they're changed around on the fly. Dolphins also use tools and advanced problem solving. They build mud mounds to trap fish and use their tails to swat at fish and make them scared and vulnerable so another dolphin can make the catch. Dolphins have also saved people that were drowning, knowing they were in distress. Tons of other things. They are the second smartest species on this Earth, by far. They have communities and families, and make friends. They don't build or anything because they live in the ocean. There are tons of videos on YouTube detailing this, as well as articles. Go look!
    Last edited by Syroco; 2012-03-05 at 11:20 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •