Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast

It sounds like a lot of casting to get one ember. It might not be a problem in pve where you are spamming your nukes all the time but in pvp you don't get to cast incinerate nearly as much. And the ember is gone with one soul fire?

It's also funny that instant cast fel flame builds embers at the same rate as incinerate, which is a bigger nuke with a cast time.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2012-02-22 at 06:46 PM.

Whats wrong with having some classes play more challenging then others? One class may be simple but the trade off would be how far you can can tweak rotations and such in order to push dps. Another class may be more complex, and while it's possible to play it bare bones and be passable, a master player knows how to stack buffs, pet swap at the right time, plan rotations to line up cd's, plan abilities to fit the encounter etc.
    That always seemed to be the big difference between lock and mage to me. Or even between different lock specs.
    Mage=automatic transmission. Lock=manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    Whats wrong with having some classes play more challenging then others? One class may be simple but the trade off would be how far you can can tweak rotations and such in order to push dps. Another class may be more complex, and while it's possible to play it bare bones and be passable, a master player knows how to stack buffs, pet swap at the right time, plan rotations to line up cd's, plan abilities to fit the encounter etc.
    That always seemed to be the big difference between lock and mage to me. Or even between different lock specs.
    Mage=automatic transmission. Lock=manual.
    This would be an apt analogy if warlocks could beat mages in a min-maxxed setting.

From your keyboard to Blizzards ears.

I hate how this new destro mechanic looks like. The mere thought of not casting all the time as caster seams so repulsing to me. Hectic and fast paced game play of destro spec at the the end of wrath was most pleasurable abilities rotation in wow for me.
    I liked and played feral at that time too, and it had similar feeling, but destro was far better for sole reason that it didnt had pauses in game play like feral did (to wait for energy). If they make mana some weird combination of energy and focus, and make us wait for it to replenish in order to be able to cast again, i am not going to renew my subscription when patch 5.0 hits live servers.
    Last edited by randa; 2012-02-22 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they said they were replacing ISF because people hated it. This just sounds like a more convoluted version of the same 'hard cast a Soul Fire every 20s' mechanic that's been so popular for the last 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I thought they said they were replacing ISF because people hated it. This just sounds like a more convoluted version of the same 'hard cast a Soul Fire every 20s' mechanic that's been so popular for the last 15 months.
    At least it will hit hard (or should) which thankfully is a step in the right direction compared to its wet noodle implementation now. I am a bit concerned about the back to back soul fires they have in the short description as wouldn't the first one eat the destructive influence that had been built up and double the cast time for the next soul fire? Hopefully something that will be squashed in beta, though I suppose its more likely to be changed two weeks after the patch goes live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Demo 4.0 > AFF 3.0 > All... old feral wasn't close and Shadow;p is such a joke....

@ComputerNerd. The number of core rotational abilities alone do not define your ability to perform.

We don't care about performance, we just want a large gameplay, having a ton of thing to do is a simple personal pleasure.

Pity I ask you to stop this Arcane blabla, you are talking in GC's mouth and it's so disgusting here, especially here.

Preaching the unique SPEC feeling philosophy with a whole homogenisation act, is a LIE.
    I'll say it again... I don't get the hype behind 4.0 demo, I levelled up a lock and was beating locks that gave me the same boring "locks are hard" routine as demo in a few days. Watch a few cool downs, manage a couple of dots, pet management and that's it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kildragon View Post
    While I find this new system interesting I have a couple of serious concerns.

1.) The idea of a non-gdc locked caster just makes me cringe. In order to EVER have a caster that is not chain casting, which every single caster has been doing since Blizz thought balancing classes is a good idea (vanilla doesn't count), we need to have something like auto attack (in this case auto wand). Casters are not supposed to have something like auto attack, it just doesn't feel right. It feels weird enough with hunters to have them auto shot while charging up a bigger shot (never made sense to me), but this would absolutely break Warlocks in terms of how they feel. Even hunters, which have a system very similar to energy have to constantly cast to maximize DPS. Standing there, not casting, waiting for mana and auto wanding would make me never want to play Destro again.

2.) They want to experiment with a resource driven system rather than a time-limited system. This. Does. Not. Work. With. Casters. You can certainly have casters use a resource driven system, as has been shown by Arcane Mages, Ele Shamans (managing LS stacks), Boomkins (managing eclipses) and even the new Demo design (managing Demonic Fury). The second part of this sentence does not work however, since resource driven and time-limited are not mutually exclusive, which Blizz is obviously assuming. A caster has to always cast to do damage or they feel boring, and the only way to not have a caster cast is to have them wait for mana. This is not interesting, it is frustrating.

Blizz seems to think that they can design a way to have a caster feel engaging, without constantly casting. I'm just hoping they will make it so Destro can always cast, they just have to choose what to cast based on their available resources.
    You know, i'd be more willing to discuss this if you could point out actual problems instead of just stating that it "doesn't work" for some obscure reason that you're either not willing or forgot to share.

Why do you need an auto attack? Why does it not work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    You were bad, they were worst, you are still bad and have no clue what you are talking about.
    I'm waiting for the part where you can actually prove that playing any class in this game at any stage in the game's lifecycle can actually be considered hard.

If you honestly find any spec in this game difficult then you have more issues than a number of buttons, you're expected to know your class by muscle memory when doing any semblence of actual challenging heroic content (or pre-WOTLK difficult content), so if you're having trouble playing a bloody class then you're not pulling your weight.

EDIT: No raid leader worth their salt is going to wait for you to learn your class when trying to learn HLK, H Alakir, HRag or HSpine.
    Last edited by Radio; 2012-02-23 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfariessence View Post
    You won't have an energy bar. You'll have something more like Combo Points. Except that as your CP go up, so will the damage that you take from your BE DoT (that's new and exciting right! every class secretly yearns for something that can make them kill themselves - note: this probably will be too overpowered with regards to CC's in PvP, and mages will complain so it will not break Poly/Sap/Wyvern). In addition, instead of your CP letting you execute a new move (or choice of moves), all it does is let you cast a spell that you could normally cast, but now it doesn't cost mana, and now it hits 10% harder!!! (Emberstorm is 2.64% more damage to Soul Fire + 0.33% per point of Mastery. I have 17.26 Mastery in ilvl 401 gear with everything over the Hit cap reforged to Mastery). Even if you have banked 10 Burning Embers (which incidently means you cast 100 Incinerates on Immolated targets... which would take a little over 3 minutes), and used them all at once for one Soul Fire, you'd finally hit a DPET of 1,171 (before +dmg)... which is exactly the same DPET of Incinerate - your filler nuke - and that's assuming you only have the 4 second cast Soul Fire instead of the 8 second cast one - so why the heck would you bother casting Soul Fire in the first place?

Oh, and while you're busy doing the same rotation for 3 minutes so you can accumulate 10 Burning Embers for your wimpy SF, you're also taking a 5k dps DoT that will kill you within 30 seconds if you don't have a dedicated healer - and over those 3 minutes you've taken more than half a million damage. Oh, and you've also spent 100k mana on your 100 Incins and had to Life Tap 3 times and done another 75k damage to yourself to replenish it.
    Just a typo (1 ember vs 10 embers) - if Emberstorm gave you 26.4% additional + 3.3% per mastery. At 17.26 mastery, you'd have a Soul Fire that dealt 84% additional damage. Stack 3 of those back to back and you're doing some sick damage.

You know, it looks like Drain Life is really cheap. You could probably cast that instead of doing nothing when you're low on mana.

Would explain why embers hurt you too.

Deleted
    I have to say, I am really starting to like what we know about warlocks in MoP. It fells like they are making locks even more unique then they are as of right now. As for "destro in MoP will be like arcane mages" or "destro will be like rogues with the combo points" that we have heard earlyer in this thread, for me it seems like Warlocks are becomming alot more complex then anything else that we have in WoW atm and that my friends is a sign of life on blizzards behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    no big bad.
    You're entitled to the rest of your opinion, but this is wrong.

There is a big bad. There are multiple big bads each badder than the last. It's just that there isn't one, poster-child bad guy that sets the theme for the expansion. The theme is a new land, with renewed conflict and Thrall babies.

There's lots of different evil juju spirit stuff going on in Pandaria, like those praying mantis people (I don't know why everyone says the pandaren are childish, because the praying mantis bads are like 10x worse). The bad guys are there trying to destroy the world/villages/continents/universe, but the focus of the expansion is on other stuff.

I'm interested in how mastery, haste and crit will pan out.

If they make Backdraft affect Soul Fire, then haste might take a backseat and mastery and crit might be king. Although I'm not thoroughly convinced how crit will be stronger than mastery since SF will automatically crit, but it might be crit=mastery. I don't know. I just don't want to juggle 3 stats, so hopefully, Backdraft will affect SF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    Sounds like they're making Destruction into Warlock's Arcane spec, at least as far as resource management goes.
    im sorry but is this some sort of sick joke/trolling? how is this deciding what to use a resource on anything like spam spam spam evocate spam spam spam missiles spam spam, manna gem,spam spam?
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by martini View Post
    it seems like Warlocks are becomming alot more complex then anything else that we have in WoW atm
    I have no idea how you possibly came to the idea that warlocks are becoming more complicated in MoP. The only way that you could possibly believe that is if you don't know how to read.

I mean its easy to just look and realize that its going to be crazy easy compared to now.

Destro now : ISF - 2 instant casts to manages + a hardcast soulfire, immolate, bod, corruption, chaos bolt, conflag, incinerate, shadowflame if you can, In two targets you can keep up BoH, Immolate, Corruption and send your soulfires to a second target for Burning Ember uptimes.

Destro MoP : Immlolate, Conflag on CD, Incinerate when you have enough mana, Soul Fire when you no mana and you have embers. ....thats it. The fact that they are planning on downtime from lack of mana means there is no actual decision making involved in embers, its just something you hope to have enough of for when you run out of mana. Two targets in mists will be Havoc..every 2 minutes..and immolate....

Sure there is some neat things that you can kind of do with the new Fire and Brimstone, but not even considering mana and how often you might be sitting around doing nothing, there will be around 7-8 incinerate casts in between every ember you produce. Given that the plan is for us to run out of mana and have dead time I could see an easy 25-30 seconds in between embers.

Don't be mislead by the fact that there are new mechanics in play, the new rotations will be far easier then they are currently.

Affliction is basically the same thing, right now you have 3 dots + SE for every target you want and then haunt for a primary target. In mists you get 2 dots on secondary targets and no SE..so just halved what you have to keep up on a 2nd target.

The whole affliction rotation will just be spam the shit out of malefic grap, refresh dots whenever nightfall procs.

The only spec that im reservering judgement for so far is demo, but given the fact that they are dumbing down our class so much in affliction and destro I have very small hopes.
    Last edited by Zinnin; 2012-02-23 at 10:15 AM.

Deleted
    I think the exact same thing as zinnin, warlocks gameplay will be really dumbed down in Mist, and it's a shame. I really hope it will at least be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Soul Fire should really be the "IMA FIRIN' MA LAZOR" of Destruction. You use it to annihilate your opponent but take that slow cast with it. The fact that it also consumes all of your embers translates in my opinion to "Transfering all of my epic, unstable and chaotic energy, which I can't handle anymore, into this nuke that will utterly destroy you.

In cataclysm it was a "giving myself +x% dmg buff with a wet noodle in order to gain more DPS". And that really sucked.

why are you all talking about a slow cast?

lvl 86 Talent: Destructive Influence
    Your demon's attack reduce the casttime of your next soul fire by X sec. Stacks up Y times.

We don't know how this works x = 1 sek, y = 4 stacks = instant