Lightbulb PCI-E cable question (Need some help)

Okay, so I have been looking for the past few days for a PCI-E cable...No where in my town has one for sale unless I purchase an entire PSU and rifle that one. I've checked online and there isn't the one that I am looking for. I'm looking for a 8 pin to a "Y split" 6+2 pin, because my PSU has 2 PCI-E ports that are 8 pin and it came with 1 of the cable I'm looking for. The only real cable I found that came close was a 6 pin to 2 8 pin (6+2), which has me worried because I don't want to use a 6 pin PCI-E when my other gpu uses an 8 pin.

So does anyone know where I could find one of these damn cables, or an alternate way to power it?

Here's my PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152043

Thanks,

Emberhelm

P.S. - My gpu came with 2x 2 4pin to 6pin which the manual claims NOT to due, yet it came with these?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emberhelm View Post
    Okay, so I have been looking for the past few days for a PCI-E cable...No where in my town has one for sale unless I purchase an entire PSU and rifle that one. I've checked online and there isn't the one that I am looking for. I'm looking for a 8 pin to a "Y split" 6+2 pin, because my PSU has 2 PCI-E ports that are 8 pin and it came with 1 of the cable I'm looking for. The only real cable I found that came close was a 6 pin to 2 8 pin (6+2), which has me worried because I don't want to use a 6 pin PCI-E when my other gpu uses an 8 pin.

So does anyone know where I could find one of these damn cables, or an alternate way to power it?

Here's my PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152043

Thanks,

Emberhelm

P.S. - My gpu came with 2x 2 4pin to 6pin which the manual claims NOT to due, yet it came with these?
    According to that link, the PSU should come with 4-6+2 pin cables. You should be using 2 of those per card. Some GPUs and other PCI-E cards don't need the extra 2.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    According to that link, the PSU should come with 4-6+2 pin cables. You should be using 2 of those per card. Some GPUs and other PCI-E cards don't need the extra 2.
    Exactly. According to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5sDqIkkd8 the PSU comes with a two cables that are 6-pin (PSU end) to dual connectors (8 pin and 6+2 pin, GPU end).

It may have changed for the one you received, but you'll have the option - somewhere - of removing the extra two pins or using a 6 pin connector instead of 8.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

I like to avoid using the Molex to PCI adapters because of aesthetics, did you recently purchase the PSU? I'd send it back for replacement or ask about getting free cables sent to you. I'd leave a bad review, e-mail newegg, and e-mail RAIDMAX, one of those options will get you what you want.

[QUOTE=Synthaxx;15606617]If it's 6+2, it's there because some cards need 6, while other cards need 8. The main power comes from the 6 pins. Those are the required ones by the standard. The extra 2 pins are additional power for cards that need it. They're part of a standard too, but they're not a requirement. It's just common courtesy for PSU designers and manufacturers to put 6+2 instead of 6. An 8-pin cable that either doesn't split or splits into 4+4 is the CPU connector and keyed differently.

A lot of GPU's come with a 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCIE, a little like this;

Yeah that's exactly what I got with the card, so those work just as well? I figured they weren't going to be up to par with the gpu, but if they work, then that's great news for me! And as for E-mailing Raidmax, already on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's exactly what I got with the card, so those work just as well? I figured they weren't going to be up to par with the gpu, but if they work, then that's great news for me! And as for E-mailing Raidmax, already on it.
    Honestly I would get with Raidmax. The cables should have come with the PSU and you wouldn't even be in this situation in seeing if you could use xyz cable instead.

In the meantime using those cables should be fine, I would just want to use the modular cables that should have came with the PSU in the first place.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Honestly I would get with Raidmax. The cables should have come with the PSU and you wouldn't even be in this situation in seeing if you could use xyz cable instead.

In the meantime using those cables should be fine, I would just want to use the modular cables that should have came with the PSU in the first place.
    Very true, they are called PCI-e cables correct? That way when I call, they will know what I'm talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very true, they are called PCI-e cables correct? That way when I call, they will know what I'm talking about.
    I would refer to them how they are labelled in the specifications where you ordered them for accuracy(companies may list different part numbers depending on vendor) in this case they are 6+2-Pin PCI-Express connectors