Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Here is advice for someone who is still playing wow and swtor right now. There is nothing wrong with playing a different game..... just cancel ur sub for a month or 2 go play other games and you will have a pull back and will play when its more fun again. When it comes to SWTOR I believe that the game would have been better made as a basic pc game not an mmo... the leveling it alot of fun, but it is very linear so if you like star wars you will like the lvling. But no matter what anyone says here once you hit lvl 50 it sucks. (anyone who says otherwise is just a wow hater) but from all info we are getting from the patch in march it should help that out. If you enjoy lvling try swtor out, get to 50 then I promise you will want to come back to wow.

Swtor felt way too similar to WoW for me, as someone already said, feels like making a lvl 1 toon in wow.

Just my opinion tho.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Except warzones dont start unless you have enough people, that is why you have queue times.
    Lack of players ruining the game already is what your telling me?
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

Quote Originally Posted by Jannand View Post
    no matter what anyone says here once you hit lvl 50 it sucks. (anyone who says otherwise is just a wow hater)
    Not that I'm a fan of endgame ToR (I unsubscribed a couple weeks ago), but this statement reeks of hypocrisy. I'm pretty sure different people are allowed to have their own opinions, without being dubbed a hater by internet baddies.

Ultimately, it's VERY similar to WOW. If WOW isn't doing it for you, SWTOR probably won't either.

There's only 2 things to keep in mind though:

1) If you like story, then there's enough story in SWTOR to make up it. There's a LOT!
    2) If you like the "new" feeling of a new game, and enjoy learning new classes and new ways of playing (eg alts), then SWTOR will keep you entertained at least until level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Ultimately, it's VERY similar to WOW. If WOW isn't doing it for you, SWTOR probably won't either.

There's only 2 things to keep in mind though:

1) If you like story, then there's enough story in SWTOR to make up it. There's a LOT!
    2) If you like the "new" feeling of a new game, and enjoy learning new classes and new ways of playing (eg alts), then SWTOR will keep you entertained at least until level cap.
    And if you like PvP, how utterly broken ToR is in this department will scare you away very, very quickly.

Personally, I think you need a change from WoW if you feel that way, but that doesn't mean SW:TOR is your only option.

That being said, as someone who recently quit WoW here are my opinions, if they help at all:
    I enjoyed the story and getting through the game for the first time. I personally didn't find it close enough to WoW for it to bother me, but it is, in essence, similar to the gameplay of WoW. I got bored of it quicker than any patch that WoW has ever released, but its not a bad game. I'd say its better for people that enjoy leveling alts SLOWLY and immersing themselves in storyline. If you want end-game or PvP or you hate having to listen to people in single player/console games, it may not be for you.

Things I think SWTOR does well:
    1) Story. The story is very entertaining, and if you let yourself get immersed in it, time will fly by as you go through the quests wishing to see what will happen next.
    2) Planet Design. I'm a fan of beautiful zones, and while not many of SW:TOR's zones/planets are what I would describe as "beautiful", they are very well designed with fitting environments, creatures and stories that fit each other about as perfectly as you could hope for.
    3) Promoting alts. Though its not finished yet, their legacy system is a good way of promoting alt creation and getting more people to see the stories.
    4) Longevity. This goes both ways, if you mostly enjoy PvP/raiding, theres really not much longevity at all to SW:TOR. However, I think overall, if people like the core values of SW:TOR, like the story (which is unique for at least 8 different characters, not including random dialogue choices that you can choose differently on another character), they can effectively enjoy months of gameplay simply making characters if it came down to it.

Things I personally dislike about SWTOR
    1) Customer service is horrible. Responses take ages, some can barely write a coherent sentence, and in general they never treated me like I was a "valued" customer. Blizzard may have taken long to respond sometimes, but when I got the response I could never hate them because they treated me well. I even had a soulbound BoE un-bound once while I was quitting, for "being a veteran player", which I will never forget.
    2) Leveling in SWTOR took me around 2 weeks to get to 50. I level faster than anyone I know except for people that shoot for realm/world firsts. This did not sit well with me.
    3) Professions are done through your companions. You have to PAY your companions to spend 2 hours crafting something, instead of crafting it yourself in 30 seconds.
    4) Flashpoints (dungeons) and Operations (raids) are EXTREMELY easy, with the most difficult concept to most bosses (excluding a few which actually have awesome strategies) being a stupidly tuned enrage timer. This enrages ME, because BioWare does not so much as provide logs to see who is holding back the group or what killed you. Yeah, you can't even check your combat log to figure out what that random damage that killed you actually was, and when the boss enrages at 50% health left, you can't tell if you're doing your rotation horribly bad, if someone else is, or if your entire group needs to spend another 5 months gearing up.
    5) You spend 10 levels in a base class, and at level 10 you finally get to choose which class out of the 2 options you want to play, but the most you're given is a small explanation on how it works and a preview of the talent trees that you most likely won't read all 50~ tooltips of. If you end up not liking your choice, or you make a mistake of hitting an option you didn't intend to, hey guess what you can reroll.
    6) Combat is usually either 3 mobs, 2 mobs and 1 stronger mob, or an elite. If you're really unlucky you get an elite and 2 strong mobs. PREPARE TO DIE A LOT.

I could mention more, but I'd rather just sleep for now.

I'm not trying to bash SW:TOR in any way with these opinions, these are only mine and I know several people who are enjoying it, or I think they are. However, I pride myself on being very lenient towards features that could be better in MMOs and playing them for a while anyway, but it took me less than a month to decide to quit SW:TOR.

tl;dr - SW:TOR wasnt for me, i just disliked way too many things in it and quit in less than a month of starting. It plays like a single player game if you ask me so you definitely need a change from WoW but I wouldn't suggest SW:TOR personally, try looking elsewhere.

Deleted
    One more note is that this game encourages to roll alts, because there are 8 storyes to be experienced.

Leveling is amazing. When you get to 50 you'll feel "all the haters were wrong, endgame's not so bad!" After being 50 for a few weeks you'll be tired of the game.

You can roll alts, sure, but if you're a person who likes to build 1 character as much as possible, then you'll be disappointed. Also, rolling alts isn't as much content as people say it is. You have about 100+ hours of Republic leveling gameplay, and another hundred hours of Empire leveling. Then you have a few hours for the class story for each class, because it only makes up ~15% of your leveling experience along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    That's fine and dandy, im on The Swiftsure at a peak hour and 5 wz's just timed out due to lack of players, which is why I logged out in disgust. I will disagree with you about the raids, DS is not a shining example of amazing raids but WoW is far better when it comes to actual end game content. Swtors first stab at it is pretty poor but they have room to improve.
    This is hilarious, did Wow somehow come up with good raids after Firelands? Because up til that point it was all rinse and repeat easy mode. I guess if you're in to Cartoony Orcs in Cartoony landscapes more power to you. I watched Cata drain an entire server with its dull and dreary 2.25 end game raids for 7 months, and Firebore ran pretty much the rest off. You seriously want to compare WoWs BoT and BwD after 7 years of " polishing" to a 2 month old game? I Run PvP anytime, day or night on a standard server, maybe you need to get off the servers all the WoW players went to and go to a real server where the PvP is much more intense than running across the snorefest that is Modern Alterac Valley. Getting good AV Q's at 4am in WoW are you? I could'nt get in anything worth while 6 months ago, 7 months ago............9 months ago on a server where everyone waited around in Org waiting for cheesy raids.

We even have faction battles in Ilum at 5am, wheres WoWs faction battles take place? I really dont get why you WoWsers come in here trying to get people to stick with that boring WoW, we all left and found a fun game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get a single player game to tide you over!

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard that swtor is similar to vanilla wow, but I haven't played so I wouldn't know (I didn't play vanilla either, only since bc here).
    Anyway if you're looking for a new MMORPG... I've been looking at guild wars 2 and tera for a while now, they seem to be quite eye grabbing.
    I have actually stopped playing wow altogether because just by watching the vids and stuff made me just want to play it so bad.
    Anyway they're not out yet so either play swtor or wait for them to come out (if you like them of course!)
    Good luck sir!

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Leveling is amazing. When you get to 50 you'll feel "all the haters were wrong, endgame's not so bad!" After being 50 for a few weeks you'll be tired of the game.

You can roll alts, sure, but if you're a person who likes to build 1 character as much as possible, then you'll be disappointed. Also, rolling alts isn't as much content as people say it is. You have about 100+ hours of Republic leveling gameplay, and another hundred hours of Empire leveling. Then you have a few hours for the class story for each class, because it only makes up ~15% of your leveling experience along the way.
    So instead run an 85 in WoW in 4 days and their couple of raids instead? You have your + 10 Stats Datacron or any datacron? Are your companions in full purples? How many Ilum battles do you fight a day?
    Last edited by Miah; 2012-02-22 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    So instead run an 85 in WoW in 4 days and their their couple of raids instead? You have your + 10 Stats Datacron or any datacron? Are your companions in full purples? How many Ilum battles do you fight a day?
    First War Hero Commando on the biggest PvP server, I was, before I quit last week.

Yes, Elara and Aric were in full PvP gear as well, and I'd get about 20k+ valor from Ilum daily.

And no, WoW isn't the better option. Neither game is. Any game with raiding won't be, at least for me. While raiding is not mandatory, it's addition in the game makes developers keep designing content for more raids, instead of being innovative and adding new systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    I heard that swtor is similar to vanilla wow, but I haven't played so I wouldn't know (I didn't play vanilla either, only since bc here).
    Anyway if you're looking for a new MMORPG... I've been looking at guild wars 2 and tera for a while now, they seem to be quite eye grabbing.
    I have actually stopped playing wow altogether because just by watching the vids and stuff made me just want to play it so bad.
    Anyway they're not out yet so either play swtor or wait for them to come out (if you like them of course!)
    Good luck sir!
    Who ever is comparing SWTOR to that bug filled mess that was Vanilla WoW might be exaggerating a little, in Vanilla WoW you had hours of mindless grinding with no payoffs but a raid or two after a month of dull and dreary leveling and reading un-eventful quest script fighting the same enemies over and over and over and over and..........they're MMOs, one felt like a job, the other feels like a game

Anyone simply switching from Wow to another MMO because they're bored of WoW will soon find themselves bored of the next game as well. IMO just take a break from MMO's as a whole or find a game that is made fundamentally different than the average MMO ( EvE, and Darkfall were the first to jump in my head on that note) rather than immediately jumping into a new game using the same basic style of gameplay.

Yes Swtor is new and shiny and has star wars and /forcegasm, but it still has the same players doign the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I'd probably watch a few videos on youtube and see if it looks appealing. Then wonder what I like most in a game (questing, pvp, raiding, alting) and ask specific questions. Not least: Do you even CARE about a Sci-Fi setting?
    The problem with the vids is that they dont give you the feel of the game. I don't know how to explain it better than that. When I saw vids of the Beta gameplay I was really unimpressed, but when I actually tried the game, I found it much more fun and engaging.

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    Who ever is comparing SWTOR to that bug filled mess that was Vanilla WoW might be exaggerating a little, in Vanilla WoW you had hours of mindless grinding with no payoffs but a raid or two after a month of dull and dreary leveling and reading un-eventful quest script fighting the same enemies over and over and over and over and..........they're MMOs, one felt like a job, the other feels like a game
    And I can completely get behind this post. TOR is not going to 'revolutionalize' MMOs. It is a Sci-Fi WoW, with some changes to how stuff works. What they have talked about doing down the line sounds really fun, to me, but right now the game is not 'better' than WoW is, unless you need new content or like sci-fi more.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    First War Hero Commando on the biggest PvP server, I was, before I quit last week.

Yes, Elara and Aric were in full PvP gear as well, and I'd get about 20k+ valor from Ilum daily.

And no, WoW isn't the better option. Neither game is. Any game with raiding won't be, at least for me. While raiding is not mandatory, it's addition in the game makes developers keep designing content for more raids, instead of being innovative and adding new systems.
    So you made War Hero in 100 hours eh, biggest PvP server that has no PvP, how can it be the biggest if the matches end from not enough people? Theres huttball all day long on our PvP server and skirmishes up and down Ilum 90% of the day

For those playing swtor who played wow since the very very begining (like day 1) a really straightforward question:

How does it compare to 15m UBRS?

Wow launched with zero raids so while i'm not one who blindly defends swtor because "wow wasn't any better when it launched" i'd like to see what we are comparing wow to. If swtor is as good as wow before molten core came online i'll continue keeping an eye on it getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    For those playing swtor who played wow since the very very begining (like day 1) a really straightforward question:

How does it compare to 15m UBRS?

Wow launched with zero raids so while i'm not one who blindly defends swtor because "wow wasn't any better when it launched" i'd like to see what we are comparing wow to. If swtor is as good as wow before molten core came online i'll continue keeping an eye on it getting better.
    Yes, TOR dungeons/raids are better than WoW Vanilla, there's no denying that. What made WoW Vanilla fun is because people had never done anything like that before (except the ex-EQers), while a lot of us playing TOR now have played an MMO before and have done this format before, so it doesn't have the same magic.