Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New Computer: is this setup ok/would you change something here?

My current PC seems to be getting old and due major parts needing updates, I have decided to update system completely in near future (I still have time, but i think this PC will die when mop comes out). I mainly play WoW, but I'm also looking forward at least testing GW2 (This year? Next year? I do not plan anything on this release due its infinite nature). On wow we are running 25-man raids and PC should be able to handle those at least for some ease without need to drop settings to fair/low on raid encounters, like I now need to do.

I would like to be able to use ultra/high settings and keep frame rates at the level that does not hinder my raiding. Now rates drop to 10-20fps at raid encounters which feels way too low especially for HoT based healing (now it goes like this: mouse over target, press button, move to next target only to notice that previous target did not get HoT).

Would you change something on this setup?
    - Silverstone Fortress FT02
    - Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler
    - Intel Core i7 3930K Processor (4.7GHz)
    - Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
    - 16GB DDR3 Memory
    - Dual Radeon 7970 in Crossfire120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
    - 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
    - 1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
    - Samsung DVD-RW/Blu-ray Reader Combo Drive
    - 1050W Corsair psu
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Needs more memory? Any part unoptimal for wow?

Deleted
    The CPU and dual GPU is seriously overkill for wow... The i5 2500k is very good and a single 7970 is more than enough. But what screen do you plan to use?

And i'd change the SSD to the 128 GB crucial M4
    Last edited by mmocf48d514961; 2012-02-22 at 12:14 PM.

I am sure you're already aware that you're throwing some money with little to no current benefit (most of these components are a complete overkill for WoW) so I won't comment on those other than "have fun!" ;-)

The only thing I'd change here is the SSD, get either one of these:

- Samsung 830 series
    - Intel 520 series
    - Crucial M4 series

these are fast and most of all - reliable drives. Intel 520 is too new to tell how reliable it is but Intel has a proven history of the most reliable SSD maker.

Oh, and you will love that Silverstone, trust me
    Last edited by Deng; 2012-02-22 at 12:12 PM.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Deleted
    Massive, massive overkill for WoW. I don't know the system requirements for GW2, but MMOs are always rather modest on computers.

The 3930K processor is a 6-core model. Most games don't utilize more than 2 cores efficiently. So a quadcore CPU is generally best: It doesn't bottleneck your game and has breathing room left for other tasks on the side. Additionally, no MMO will max out a single 7970, let alone a crossfire setup.

The power supply is also a bit on the heavy side. An 800W model should run your listed setup just fine. If you cut out one of the graphics cards, you can drop to 600W even.

I recently built a box with a 2500K and 560 Ti GPU and it runs WoW at maximum settings effortlessly. GW2 might have higher requirements to max out, but nothing as crazy as what you listed. Buying the system you listed to be "future proof" is faulty reasoning. At the rate hardware develops and the very steep price-performance curve at the top-end, you'll be better of buying a new system that is not quite top-end at higher frequency than you are if you would buy a top-end system with lower frequency.

Everyone else already mentioned this, but the build is a bit overkill. What Hard drive brand are you getting? And I would also recommend grabbing a corsair H60 or H80. Performance aside (seeing there would be no gain coming from an NH-D14) I feel the Corsair setupts are just easier on the eyes. I'm really not a big fan of having half of an engine block hanging from my motherboard. I prefer the clean and compact look that the Corsair liquid cooling setups provide.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned getting a Kingston HyperX 120g solid state drive. They have been a top performer for quite some time now. Anyways great computer build, should last you a long time.
    Last edited by yupholladay; 2012-02-22 at 01:08 PM.

That is incredible overkill for WoW. Dual 7970 for WoW is nonsensical, you'd be better off flushing that money down the toilet. One 7970 is enough, even then it is still overkill. You can cut one thousand dollars off that build and still run WoW incredibly smooth. Unless your playing something like swtor or battlefield 3 on ultra, you don't need this overkill build.

The following is considerably cheaper and is still overkill for WoW (and probably GW2 as well):

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($318.00 @ B&H)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($162.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1990.90

I'm not sure what peripherals you're currently using, but I highly recommend replacing them if they're outdated - the build above is only worthwhile if you have input and display devices to match, I would recommend:

Monitor: Dell U2412M 24.0" Monitor ($329.00 @ Dell)
    Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $513.98

Even with the addition of those, this build's total should still come in under the build in your OP.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-22 at 04:36 PM.

Deleted
    Thank you noteworthynerd, I was already looking some systems with modifications mentioned here. You saved some of that trouble from me. No need to waste money, if it does nothing for game. ^_^

I have been playing with my 47” full led TV, tho I'm not sure if will I continue like this (it demands that I always create my own UI, due need of larger fonts). I do not use keyboard (ofc I have one for typing), instead I use belkin n52te. My mouse in the other hand needs updating... it is old and has seen better days. It is this: Oscar X-748K
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-02-22 at 05:29 PM.

Yeah, I don't really recommend anything bigger than 24". Larger than that and you have to start sitting too far back.

If you're looking for a new mouse, I recommended the Logitech G500 in the build above. A lot of people swear by the Razer Naga, but there's really no need for all those buttons (IMO), especially if you already have a N52TE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Yeah, I don't really recommend anything bigger than 24". Larger than that and you have to start sitting too far back.

If you're looking for a new mouse, I recommended the Logitech G500 in the build above. A lot of people swear by the Razer Naga, but there's really no need for all those buttons (IMO), especially if you already have a N52TE.
    Getting use to the buttons was a pain, but now I couldn't play WoW without them. PVP is such a different animal having all your buttons basically on your thumb.

I used the Naga for three months before I sold it to a friend, I don't ever PVP and I found that I preferred my keyboard keybindings in PVE... Like I said, some people (like my friend) swear by them, others (like me) find them to be excessive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I tend not to use them in PvE. I didn't see that he had the N52TE, that and the Naga is pretty much overkill. Too many keybindings lol.

Deleted
    Yep, "he" is using n52te, but I have always had some extra buttons on mouse too. Currently I have 7 buttons (one is for dpi settings, 3 are keybinds and ofc 3 are normal mouse buttons)

Anyways situation has been changed a bit. Yesterday my case fan control went down just before raid. Luckily I got it fixed or at least it works with some level. So I have started to look pre-built systems, since it looks like I need this faster than what I was thinking. I don't want to be in situation where my old puter is dead and new one is on pieces at the table / on its way. As you can see I'm no expert on this stuff, so I was planning to have some time to look things up and have friend to help me. >_> Why things start to break when you are planning to replace them? Same thing happens with cars.

The problem is... I do not know where to get decent pre-built systems in EU/Finland. When I see good PC, the deliveries are UK only. What is this madness!

Two PC's that I looked yesterday after raid. Picked these according what you said here about wow requirements:
    - CPU professionally Overclocked up to 4.50GHz*
    - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1 Operating System
    - Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandybridge) Processor
    - be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5 DirectX 11 Graphics
    - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
    - 1TB 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
    - MSI Intel Z68 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
    - 650W OCZ ZS Series ATX2.2 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply
    - Coolermaster CM 690 II Lite Midi Tower Chassis
    - Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp
    - 22x DVD±RW SATA Optical ReWriter Drive
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming...roductId=47821
    UK only!

- Intel Core i5 2500 (4 x 3.3GHz)
    - 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ RAM
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.28 GB
    - 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
    - Asus Motherboard
    - 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer
    - Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
    - Corsair 600W Gaming PSU
    http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/gami...000/step2.html
    Can deliver internationally, but demands contacting.

Why pre-built systems seem to prefer GeForce? Should I still try to find stuff with 7970? I'm confused with all this and not sure what to do.

Neither of those will come close to performing as well as the build I linked you... If you're worried about it taking too long, order all of the parts from the same place, even if they ship from different warehouses they should all arrive around the same time. Trust me, if you buy a prebuilt you will regret it, unless you work or go to school on your PC, you can survive without it for a day or two (if worst comes to worst).

Problem(s) with the first one:
    - Cheap, crappy video card (the 560 non-Ti is simply not worth the money)
    - No SSD (which I suppose you could add yourself)

Problem(s) with the second one:
    - Non-k means no overclocking
    - Low RAM (only 4GB, but I suppose you could buy more)
    - RAM is low frequency
    - No SSD (which I suppose you could add yourself)

I didn't realize you were in the UK, here's a revised build:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£59.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£143.25 @ Maplin Electronics)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£100.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£244.86 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card (£439.99 @ Dabs)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.99 @ Dabs)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£124.99 @ Dabs)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.73 @ Maplin Electronics)
    Total: £1466.69

If you absolutely have to buy a prebuilt, I guess this one from aria is okay: https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gamin...roductId=47824
    • CPU professionally Overclocked up to 4.50GHz*
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1 Operating System
    • Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandybridge) Processor
    • be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 DirectX 11 Graphics
    • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
    • Crucial m4 128GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive
    • 1TB 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
    • MSI Intel Z68 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
    • 850W Corsair TX850 V2 ATX2.3 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply
    • Corsair Carbide 500R Black Midi Tower Chassis
    • Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp
    • 22x DVD±RW SATA Optical ReWriter Drive
    It won't perform as well as my build above, but it's the closest thing they offer that isn't incredibly overkill.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-23 at 01:55 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I didn't realize you were in the UK, here's a revised build:
    I read his post as saying that he is in Finland, and that UK only shipping would not be sufficient. Iryne, please clarify.

Ah, you're correct, I didn't see that line... He used aria in his post though, and that's where that prebuilt I linked at the bottom of mine is from.

Deleted
    It hurts to say that, after all that work you did noteworthynerd, but yes you misunderstood where I live. I live in Finland. Up here at northern Europe, with snow and coldness. Scan.co.uk seems to be also one of those ”UK only” companies. I linked aria computer, since it was one that I found to be close to stuff said here, BUT it impossible to get due delivery is only into UK.

Hmm.. maybe I should build it after all, tho I do not want to drop out raiding (I'm heal lead and our team is still at HC progress). Part delivery may take time, since sometimes National Board of Customs stops packages for checking (specially when ordering outside EU area).

I'm still a bit biased with i5 and i7... I currently have i3 and I hate the fact that now when it is getting old the whole system is in the situation of ”Trash all and get whole new system. Too hard to update that stuff ” as my friend said. Would i7 stay longer with me or will I still face same situation when I would like to update stuff?

Unless you're getting 6-cores i7 has absolutely no pros for gaming. Its main difference to i5 is Hyperthreading which currently does nothing to gaming (even slows down some of them).
    And if you are getting 6-core CPU there's only one mainstream game that will be (slightly) faster on this CPU and it is Civ 5. Most games use 1-2 cores, some of them as much as 3.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Hmm.. maybe I should build it after all, tho I do not want to drop out raiding (I'm heal lead and our team is still at HC progress). Part delivery may take time, since sometimes National Board of Customs stops packages for checking (specially when ordering outside EU area).
    If you can manage with your current PC for a few more days, I would absolutely support everyone's encouragement to build your own. All of the struggles with dropping screws, applying thermal paste (not necessary if you're going with an i5-2500K and the stock cooler), and getting the cables organized just made me more attached and appreciative of my awesome new PC. You'll appreciate the process, and you'll enjoy the result.

Edit: Since I built mine last fall, I guess it's not exactly new anymore. But it's newer than the one I built for my Dad.

The i7 could potentially outlast the i5 if games start to utilize hyper-threading, but I haven't seen anything to say that they will... WoW most definitely will not. The i5 is the better choice for gaming... The fact that your i3 is becoming outdated has less to do with the fact that it is an i3 and more to do with the fact that it is probably a couple generations old - the i5s and i7s from that generation are likely outdated as well.

Here's a build using a Finnish website:

CPU: i5 2500k - 219,90€
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - 79,90€
    MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V LX Z68 - 112,90€
    Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - 49,90€
    Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - 162,90€
    SSD: 120GB Corsair Force Series GT - 191,90€
    Video Card: ASUS HD7970 - 529,90€
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750 v2 - 113,90€
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi - 84,90€
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (English) - 99,90€

Total: 1646€

A great thing about this site/store is that they'll assemble your PC for an additional fee.

Notes:
    - Almost all of the 7950s and 7970s are on backorder... =/ If you're willing to wait, get this one from MSI instead.
    - That PSU is overkill, but it was the only decent one that they have in stock. If you're willing to wait, get this one instead.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-23 at 03:11 PM.