Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Diablo 3 Auction house and making money

Hello fellow forumreaders,

So i was reading a diffrent thread about Diablo 3 and someone posted something quite interesting. It was in terms off why would i want to pay a monthly fee for a game like World of Warcraft or Star wars when i can play Diablo 3 and get payed to do so in the process.

So this led my to a question. Do you deem it possible to make ''a living'' out off diablo 3 auction house playing. Ofcourse i'm not talking about paying your mortgage or buying a car with it (do think it's possible to buy a car with diablo 3 fundings tough). But more like can an averige student make enough money on a monthly bases by playing diablo 3 to have money for fun times.

As most off you know or don't know at the moment there is a 10 post auction cap and the minimum funding it 1 pound 50. i'm not quite sure what the % is blizz wants over an succesfully sold auction but i do know why the used the minimum. So people don't flood markets with healthpotions for example. This does make the Auction house a bit more ''Elitist'' cus i'm guessing only high end gear/runes and possible really rares.

Go discuss, and try to stay on topic and be polite

Sincerly Petsoul
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

^ A new and orginal change.. OH WAIT

Inbefore QQ about my avatar if you want removed, but remember, baby seals die in the process off it's removal!!

I would wager you can make 10-30$ / month, if you really try. You might get wiser on this subject by visiting http://diablo3markets.incgamers.com/
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

Deleted
    At the moment the minimum sale price is $1.50 (we do not know how much that will be in euros or £s yet), and the listing fee is $1.25 (only paid on a successfull sale). Therefore if you sell an item for $1.50, you will gain $0.25 profit. That's a lot of items you'd have to sell to get anything worthwhile at the baseline. I personally think the most stable economy is likely to be selling gold, but the value of that and how much time it will take is really impossible to say at the moment.

I'm sure people will make a bit of cash - I'm sure a few people out there will make quite a lot of cash through serious grinding but average joe probably isn't going to make enough to make much of a difference. For me, I make more an hour at work than I suspect I'd make in a month on the AH... so I wouldn't really consider D3 as a supplementary income at all. For younger people, especially teenagers or students who don't have jobs and for whom an extra $20 a month would make a difference then I guess it is a very good thing and it'll be a nice little bonus For professional people it's more likely to be about them enjoying spending the time for entertainment purposes and not so much about whether they can make money whilst playing a game.

The question of why would you pay a monthly fee for WoW when you can be playing D3 is simply that they are totally different games. That's like saying why would anyone go to the cinema and pay $15 for a new movie ticket when I can watch a different movie at home on TV for free. I pay the sub because I enjoy what wow offers and it's a very minimal amount for the entertainment I get in return and even if I was getting paid by the hour to play D3 I would still be playing other games that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, its possible.
    On first weeks some items will cost 100-200$ and even more.

Sadly in 3-4 month the army of chinese farmers will drop prices so low, that it will be non-profitable.

Anyway every active player will make at least 30-50$/month, depending on amount of time spent in game and luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    Anyway every active player will make at least 30-50$/month, depending on amount of time spent in game and luck.
    You realise for that to work every active player would have to spend $30-50/month + the transaction fees?

My most unrealistic, dream-like expectations are to make enough money to pay for WoW and/or the SC2 / D3 expansion packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You realise for that to work every active player would have to spend $30-50/month + the transaction fees?

My most unrealistic, dream-like expectations are to make enough money to pay for WoW and/or the SC2 / D3 expansion packs.
    Ya im going to sell only on the RMAH until I make the 60$ back for buying the game. After that im going to use it just as a normal auction house, sell stuff and use those funds sold to buy things I want.

I wont put any of my money outside the game on there.

We cannot crunch numbers until we get a little better idea about the market condtions. I am working with another mathematician and a few HC gamers to see what we are going to be able to produce on the AH. It is really going to depend on the transacion cap and cost for additional transactions. Based solely on the preliminary estimates using blizzard's announced fee and median transaction prices I am guessing the average joe should be able to at least pay their wow sub playing aproximately 10-20 hours/week ($11-15). A lot depends on the player and what they can clear and there are also many other variables to consider such as drop rates. 1-2 weeks into live all these things will come together and we will know for sure what the market potentials look like.

Deleted
    I must say almost every post I've seen on every D3 forums is people saying "I won't buy on it, but I'll sell on it". For every playing that makes $10 there needs to be a player that spends $10. Right now, I'd say that there are millions (yes, i'm guessing, don't sue me, insert your own large number here) of people waiting and hoping to make money off playing a game. There are millions of gamers in the world and who wouldn't want to get paid to play - that's a gamers dream. Are there millions (or your suitabley large number placement) of people actually willing to spend money to play a game, especially when that game is not an MMO?

I am dubious. There will be far more people selling imo than buying; meaning any profits will be very much spread out between people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I must say almost every post I've seen on every D3 forums is people saying "I won't buy on it, but I'll sell on it". For every playing that makes $10 there needs to be a player that spends $10. Right now, I'd say that there are millions (yes, i'm guessing, don't sue me, insert your own large number here) of people waiting and hoping to make money off playing a game. There are millions of gamers in the world and who wouldn't want to get paid to play - that's a gamers dream. Are there millions (or your suitabley large number placement) of people actually willing to spend money to play a game, especially when that game is not an MMO?

I am dubious. There will be far more people selling imo than buying; meaning any profits will be very much spread out between people.

This. I know im not planning on any reliable income, anything I make will be a bonus.

You might make a few bucks a month if you're smart and lucky with drops. But its pointless to speculate at this point.

1) Number crunching without knowing the actual numbers is illogical. Stop doing it. All we know at this point is the Listing Fee and the minimum listing price.

2) For every googly-eyed dreamer that wants to make money on the RMAH, there must be a buyer on the other end. Going by what I've seen in threads like this, everyone wants to sell and no one wants to buy. You do the math.

3) The first few weeks will likely see the highest inflated prices simply because everyone will find their first uber-rare or unique and immediately post it to the RMAH for an outrageous price.

4) If Blizzard holds true, which I'm hoping against all odds, Inferno will be very very difficult. Not many players will see Inferno before the first couple of weeks. In order for those players to continue surviving Inferno without first running out of gold, they will likely need to use the first several high-end items they find. Its likely that a steady flow of Inferno items won't hit the RMAH until several weeks if not months after release.

That's wrong due to listing fees, if people sell items at the minimum then for every $10 somebody makes, other people will have to spend a total of $60 on items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Just a thougt... will u have to enlisten money's earned from D3 auction house into ur Tax payments?...... Earning money's without paying taxes is extremly illegal.

yeah yeah i know it is selling items but in some way u will be like a grocery store??

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Deleted
    diablo3 rmah is the dream of all you nerds obviously.
    playing and making money, right.

get the head out of the clouds and stop dreaming. if you wonna get money, go work.
    if u rly think u can make "your living" with that, good luck and u will fall from very high.

IMO there are large portions of people are willing to pay at RMAH but it will take its time till it creates a base. Casual, bad players, people having less gaming time, players who are willing to gear up their mains enough to farm inferno on daily basis, less patient people to w8 for lucky drops for their 3rd, 4th or 5th alt.
    Last edited by Ballistic; 2012-02-23 at 12:22 PM.

Deleted
    its only blizz taking the real cash. you can go play hardcore and sell on jsp for fg and sell fg for real currency afterwards. or try to collaborate with haxxors from blizzhackers aka edgeofnowhere to get them dupes into hardcore so you can cash out $$$ via selling dupes.

My guess is that people who are going to be buying are simply a lot less vocal about it than potential sellers. I can't say I blame them, based on the prejudice many seem to have against people who pay cash for in-game items, who would want to say they're planning to on a forum.

I'll say it though...if D3 delivers the goods like it's predecessors, I will probably buy a couple items for my first character. Namely low level +exp gain rare quality items with strong secondary stats, that can be used as good hand-me-downs later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    My guess is that people who are going to be buying are simply a lot less vocal about it than potential sellers. I can't say I blame them, based on the prejudice many seem to have against people who pay cash for in-game items, who would want to say they're planning to on a forum.
    I guess that's true, on a lot of forums you'd get a bit of a lynching for saying "I plan to spend $500 to gear up my character!".

Someone is loosing the same amount of money that one is gaining. So basicly - if all want to make money and not buy... then no1 will buy.

And another point. If ppl will start to make big money -they will be paying taxes of that. If not - then Governments will close the AH down asap - just like they did with poker sites that refused to release player earnings.
    Last edited by Deadanon; 2012-02-23 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamia View Post
    Hi everybody
    I am new to this forum
    So please help me to found more solutions
    And increase my earnings
    NEW ? and already upped a ONE year old thread ?

To answer your question: I make around 10 Euros at the most a month these days by playing D3 casual @ 3 hours per day in its end game.

The count is simple: 100-150K per 15 minute run in Act 3. That's 2/2.5 M Gold per day (incl. playing the GAH). That's 15 M Gold per week or 60 M Gold per month.

6 x 1.8 Euro = 10.8 Euro. At launch that was double/triple that amount

So no, it is not something to live from. And I would not play it to earn money, BUT ... like playing poker for 0.25 Euro it beats playing with fake chips.

if you would play it even more casual at 1 hour a day, that would be around 3-4 Euro. Of course I would exclude the "awesome one time ever hit the jackpot item", but this is just the basic coverage of gold farming without miracles.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-30 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    NEW ? and already upped a ONE year old thread ?

To answer your question: I make around 10 Euros at the most a month these days by playing D3 casual @ 3 hours per day in its end game.

The count is simple: 100-150K per 15 minute run in Act 3. That's 2/2.5 M Gold per day (incl. playing the GAH). That's 15 M Gold per week or 60 M Gold per month.

6 x 1.8 Euro = 10.8 Euro. At launch that was double/triple that amount

So no, it is not something to live from. And I would not play it to earn money, BUT ... like playing poker for 0.25 Euro it beats playing with fake chips.

if you would play it even more casual at 1 hour a day, that would be around 3-4 Euro. Of course I would exclude the "awesome one time ever hit the jackpot item", but this is just the basic coverage of gold farming without miracles.
    Thats not including any items you may find :P Playing 3 hours a day at end game you could easily find an item worth 200 - 300 million. Ive only had my wizard just over 3 weeks from level 0 to paragon level 71 and I have found many many items worth 100s of millions Ofcourse this is RNG but you could add that as a factor in there.