Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Well this was silly to begin with. People started spewing all the broken physics that would follow the result. Nothing can travel faster than light.
    The impulse of electricity

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Except by winning this argument all of mankind has lost out.
    Exactly how does mankind lose out? Its not like we'll ever approach space travel at the speed of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    The sound barrier was impossible 100 years ago. We'll figure it out. When I'm dead and gone, but still.
    2148 CE: Humanity Discovers Mass Effect Physics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    The sound barrier was impossible 100 years ago. We'll figure it out. When I'm dead and gone, but still.
    There's a difference between theoretically impossible - breaking physical laws - and practically/technologically impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    You guys might remember a few months ago, the scientists at OPERA announced that they found an apparent discrepancy between the measured speed of neutrinos and the expected speed (close to the speed of light).

Looks like they found the reason. Apparently, a signal delay the size of the discrepancy was created by a bad cable connection. :-) I have to say, that has to be one of the more embarrassing possibilities for a systematic error.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._opera_result/
    It may not have been accidental at all Huge announcements are good business. Better funding. It's been documented that even NASA makes pretty unimportant discoveries sound huge on media right before their funding's going to get negotiated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Then I move that we vote to increase the speed of light.
    Voted! Let's go make a campaign for this, maybe we can force light to abide to what we vote. Then I suggest we alter the laws of gravity, I can't jump high enough

You also have to understand how many miles of cable there are and how small of a discrepancy this was. These things take time to verify or disprove.

/sigh The worst troubleshooting problems are always the ones that are a problem with interconnecting wiring.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Pahya View Post
    200 years ago physicans said its imposible to generate ultraviolet light-rays because u need endless amounts of energy.

nowadays they say nothing can be faster then light .. or fast as light because u need endless amounts of energy...
    Maybe this time we're wrong again, or maybe we aren't.

If you believe there are objective and immutable laws that govern physics, then you also believe that at some point we'll state "X is impossible" and it will be true. Are we there now? Who knows. Having not been there in the past, however, doesn't say anything about whether we're there now.

15+ Year Old Account
    A few hundred/thousand years from now, naysayers are going to look like the people that said high speed rail travel would never happen.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Exactly how does mankind lose out? Its not like we'll ever approach space travel at the speed of light.
    You cant explain how they miss out, if you have a hard time figuring out how discoveries like this (had it been true) could of advanced our own technology or views of the universe.

But hey, the world is flat. I wonder what we could do if it wasn't flat. How would it change our view of the world? I mean, we will never be able to travel to the end of the world. We will fall off!
    Last edited by Idontlikeyou; 2012-02-22 at 11:41 PM.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Due to the expansion of the universe, galaxies are already moving away from us at speeds exceeding light.

Its asinine to always point out how stuff used to be "impossible" back then it wasnt based on facts and emperical evidence and that which was was faulty because they didnt have the equipment they needed to make the right assumptions - furthermore one can point to ancient greek math - we still use it. Why? Because it was based on things they had access to. Logic, reasoning, numbers, geometry - there is nothing that is hidden from view when it comes to that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its asinine to always point out how stuff used to be "impossible" back then it wasnt based on facts and emperical evidence and that which was was faulty because they didnt have the equipment they needed to make the right assumptions - furthermore one can point to ancient greek math - we still use it. Why? Because it was based on things they had access to. Logic, reasoning, numbers, geometry - there is nothing that is hidden from view when it comes to that
    Actually, it isnt. For what is not possible today, can be possible tomorrow. Is it asinine to consider the fact that our technology could advanced to the point where we can do things we couldn't do today? Your line of thinking is exactly how they thought years ago. Yet here we are today. 100 years ago, people wouldnt even dream to consider sending a message across the world.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    Actually, it isnt. For what is not possible today, can be possible tomorrow. Is it asinine to consider the fact that our technology could advanced to the point where we can do things we couldn't do today? Your line of thinking is exactly how they thought years ago. Yet here we are today. 100 years ago, people wouldnt even dream to consider sending a message across the world.
    that is not what im saying - my point is that people will try to justify things that goes against the laws of physics using the argument, well they didnt know it a 100 years ago - things like creating gravitational beams to lift stones pyramids and aliens from other dimensions or ghosts or things like that... Especially proponents of ghosts use that argument

Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    Due to the expansion of the universe, galaxies are already moving away from us at speeds exceeding light.
    That's relative speed, not actual speed. If two objects were to travel away from each other at the speed of light, they would each see the other traveling at twice the speed of light.

As far as we know, nothing goes faster than the speed of light measured against a fixed point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    that is not what im saying - my point is that people will try to justify things that goes against the laws of physics
    Right, but you are bounding yourself to these laws. To deny the impossible keeps you grounded. That's cool. I am not depending on you to discover/invent anything. But there are people every day that are working to push what we know further. If we stuck to your style of thinking, we wouldn't advance.

I am not arguing the fact that nothing can travel faster than light. I am just stating its better to actually keep an open mind. You honestly cant say you know how the universe runs.

But then I have to ask, suppose that the neutrinos were proven to travel faster than light. What then? Your argument falls apart. Given, it was proven they did not, so where does that leave my part of the argument?

That sucks, it would of been cool if it would of been true. I wonder what we could of done with that knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Voted! Let's go make a campaign for this, maybe we can force light to abide to what we vote. Then I suggest we alter the laws of gravity, I can't jump high enough
    sv_gravity 40
    followed by a quick sv_gravity 100000 once you get comfortable flying through the air.
    Last edited by Geniusdude; 2012-02-23 at 12:58 AM.

Hmm.

The report says insiders at the OPERA collaboration have found that “a bad connection between a GPS unit and a computer may be to blame”.

After tightening the connection (in other words, El Reg would speculate, eliminating a tiny gap between the end of the fibre and the sensor to which it terminated), OPERA researchers have found that the GPS data arrived 60 nanoseconds earlier than was measured during the original experiment.

"More data will be needed to confirm this hypothesis", says the report.

It has not been confirmed so hopefully its still possible to break the speed of light allthou there probly right
    I Know My Spelling Is Bad so Live With it or dont and just die

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    They went with Charter, their fault :P
    Better than Comcast.