Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dat Trolling! [Jungle Trundle]

I know we have a bunch of good junglers in here and now that I collected my new 4800 IPs I gots me a shiny (well....) new Trundle.

So, halp! I have read the guides on Solomid, but that's not the same as having playing 15bazillion jungle games. Anything people would like to share?

Keep in mind I'm far from an experienced jungler. I mostly play AP mid or AD bot.

The most optimal rune setup is armor seals, 6 armor pen marks, 3 attack damage marks and attack damage quints. I usually use my AD rune page though, that's full ad marks and ad quints. When playing trundle i try to counter jungle as much as i can. Ganking is hard if the enemy has flash, so i tend to make it my job to disrupt the enemy jungler rather that gank lanes. Trundle kills creeps extremely fast with his Q munchie-munchie, add in your W which makes you super fast and also E which pretty much is a free get-out-of-jail card and you have the perfect invader. If i'm playing against someone who i know starts at blue i like to munch up their red jungle. So i will usually take wraiths, kill red solo and then kill the big golem. This is extremely easy if you go cloth + 5 pots, and it's doable with a vamp scepter if you use your q optimally (using it to reset your auto-attack timer). After that i usually gank top and then retreat to my jungle to secure my own buffs.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Oh yes, good thread idea. I am in the process of saving up for Trundle myself. Kinda bored of the junglers I do have. Tips from experienced players would be nice.

Thigs post above is somewhat true, but AD runes are by no means required at all.

Trundle is my third most played Jungle, but he is by far my favorite besides Mundo.

Red should be ARP/AS/AD (I run Arp)
    Yellow HAS to be armor (like all jungles)
    Blue can be AS/MRperLvl/Really anything (I use AS)
    Quints can be ARP/AD/Health whatever- basically almost any AD runepage will work + Armor Y

All I can say is don't get frustrated when
    A.) your ganks aren't picture perfect (especially if they have flash) for the first few games- it takes a bunch of practice to know when to drop your W (not in the bush from River- farther into the lane I find usually) and where to drop pillar.

b.) work on that pillar placement, especially with Smartcast on. The first few times might screw up yourself/teammate, but man a well placed pillar can seal an exit (wait for that first time when you block an entrance to a jungle and no one can run), and pretty much secure any gank (wait until after flash sometimes!)

C.) when to pop your ult - I'd say a good rule of thumb is on the tank or the tanky dps in a teamfight, but you will get the feel for it

He is such an easy, comfortable jungle- maybe start out with a cloth 5pots if you are nervous- but a vamp scepter is so much better its silly.

The real strength in trundle is I almost never find myself below 70% health, so I counter Jungle EVERYONE, with a good support CV'ing often you can get a feel for where they are and either invade for a kill (smite that blue when its low then pillar -gg) or just keep them underleveled.

Just dont get discouraged early, Trundle takes a while to master- but his ult and Pillar are two of the best moves in the game when used correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Masteries? Seen Defensive/off and Offensive/def both.

Deleted
    I personally run a 21/0/9 build or a 21/0/9 depending on the our setup and whether we need a tank. I run AS red, armour yellow, MR blue and ARP quints which is a good way to play it but can be played with AD on red, pretty much anything on blue.

Preferably pick up Vampric Scepter as it gives you insane sustain and you never drop below 70% health. Ever. It also allows you to 1v1 junglers like Tryn early game which is very useful. I start at wolves if I am getting support on the start with auto attacks and I can kill it before blue spawns and then go to blue OR start at blue then go to wolves. The two general paths are:

Blue>Wolves>Wraiths>Golems>Red>
    Wolves>Blue>Wraiths>Wolves>Golems>Red (this will get you level 4 but takes slightly longer)

I like to play him end game as a very durable offtank who can just be in their team constantly who is enough of a threat to get them to hit you but tanky enough to take that damage. I usually reach this by getting Trinity Force, Warmogs, Atmas, Mercury Treads and then whatever you need to build for the team (Guardians Angel can be very nice). You can go more aggressive by getting more AD focused items instead of health but it is just what your team needs.

Try to save your Contaminate until you HAVE to use it. Purely because if the enemy starts running, it is very frustrating when your contaminate is on CD because you used it to initiate. Same with Pillar of Faith. Another thing (I know it's basic) is to only use your Q after an auto attack otherwise you are just wasting it.

Don't underestimate the power of your passive too. Killing a large creep with a smite or whatever will give you about 50 burst health (I think) which can be enough to save your life and has saved mine before. There was a team fight where they all jumped on me and I just tanked the damage with my ultimate, auto attacking whoever was closest and smiting the big wraith just to give me a bit of time.

You can invade jungle very well too. If you wait for about 7:20 for blue and about 8:45 for red, you can go and counter jungle them quite easily especially if your mid helps.

That is about all I can think of right now.

i played trundle alot...
    if we have a "Real tank" im just offtanking, with guardian angel and perhaps a banshees veil. Then i go for ad items. if we dont have a tank i buy warmogs and atlas impaler aswell.

my runes is armor, hp and attack speed.... armor pen is good aswell

use your W ability, the big field, when you gank and when you need to move fast and when you are taking buffs mobs etc. Gives u attack speed... Also good in team fight, removes the crowd control abilities on you, like stuns etc.

The pillar is a good ability, use it to save friends, block enemies path , or to escape. In teamfights you can put it up to push some1 closer to you and get him away from his team mates, killing him quickly then taking the rest.

i go with defensive masteries and offensive. Not the original jungling masteries in the support tree

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quosk1867 View Post
    I personally run a 21/0/9 build or a 21/0/9 depending on the our setup and whether we need a tank.
    Say wut?

I think I should pick up some new Quints. Currently using MS quints, cos I really hate going slower than 400 speed.

//edit: I realise this might come off a bit negative. I am quite pleased with the responses so far though! They're really helpful!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Say wut?

I think I should pick up some new Quints. Currently using MS quints, cos I really hate going slower than 400 speed.

//edit: I realise this might come off a bit negative. I am quite pleased with the responses so far though! They're really helpful!
    Apologies, 21/0/9 or 0/21/9

I keep two mastery pages available for my team when solo que'ing.

One is full defensive 0/21/9. This is for when we don't have a true tank, like a situation with GP top and support sona.
    I rush wriggles/merc treads (early dragon control ftw)
    Then I branch depending on how fed I am and what their team comp is
    Classic Atmogs if I get fed/BV if they are heavy AP/Early GA if I'm initiating the team fights

If we have a tank, say Jarv top or Ali bot I go 21/0/9 w/AD and the Crit rather then Havoc
    Then I just build Heavy AD items, with some health behind it.
    I notice alot of TF's on Trundle, I don't build it often unless I get superfed to start
    Don't forget AS items like Wit's End if they are heavy AP, I wouldn't go Wit's End in like 80% of games, but sometimes when they roll 4 AP it can be a game changer.

One other thing I wanted to mention is Dragon control with Trundle is great. Since you are running around with such high health all the time, I've solo'd it a 7 (had a wriggles though).

And one more thing- I know the go-to move is using your Ult on tanks and tanky dps because it gives you the biggest boost, but remember (at least I'm like 95% sure of this) it lowers that persons Armor/MR that you use it on. In some situations if their carry has high MR and you are stuck on the team with 4 instalock AP's, its not always the worst idea to pop your ult on them (even if you do get mocked openly after by your teammates)

As a fellow less-than-experienced jungler a piece of advice: If you see an opportunity to gank, drop what you are doing and head for the gank. And do it as early as possible. Season 2 puts great emphasis on ganks rather than actual jungling early on. It helped me doing a lot better as a jungler.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people go 9 in Utility? It's not like Trundle really needs the mana regen?

What mana reg? 2% move speed bonus and 20% more junglebuff sweetness
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    Defensive has movement speed as well. First couple points in Utility are not that useful imo, meaning you spend 4 points just to get to the goodies?

MS is not reachable in Defensive with 9 points. And the first points in Utility could be worse.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Defensive has movement speed as well. First couple points in Utility are not that useful imo, meaning you spend 4 points just to get to the goodies?
    The flash CD reduction is pretty nice, the movement speed is nice and the 20% more buff duration is even nicer. The main reason for utility is the buff duration imo as he doesn't have a long duration/on hit slow so the red buff is needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was just wondering why people suggest it - two top rated guides on Solomid either go 9/21/0 or 21/9/0.

Took him into a custom game to try his speed/clearing/routes etc. Starting in blue without leash hurt a bit, but he's pretty darn fast and safe overall.

People love defense tree instead of the utility for the talents reducing damage from creep and that early game Health/Armor. If you find yourself in short games mostly, then absolutely go into the defense tree. I'm not at 2k ELO though and most of my games are 35-55 minutes, as people stay in lane way too long and the games are paced pretty slow at 1500 ELO in my opinion. That extra health and small armor buff is fantastic for the first 15 minutes of the game, not so much past then.

End game I prefer utility, 1-2 extra flashes a game, longer baron buff,increased red buff duration (listed above as definitely a close to must have on Trundle) and you mentioned you hate being below 400 move speed ( I hate slow champs also) then the MS in utl tree is a must.

I don't think the 9 points in either tree is a gamechanger.
    Last edited by Boomcats; 2012-02-23 at 07:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Trundle w/ TF and Contaminate was running @ 522 speed in my Custom game, so I think I can drop some movement speed at least...

Good point about late game vs early game. I suppose that if you focus on counter jungling, you really want the early game strength. If you can shut down their jungler, you're making it a 4v5 late game which helps in different ways than slightly more late game strength on Trundle. Will give it a bit of a pondering once I got a better feel for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Need to fix Runes still, but finally took Trundle into a normal game with some friends.

Jungling didn't go too bad, but the enemy didn't have a Jungler so the top lane had a hard time and I didn't have to worry about getting counter jungled.

My timers were mostly on. Could've reported in chat better for faster repicks of buffs/dragon I think. Ran into some issues where the last minion would stay alive with like 5 health when I thought I had him, so that slowed me down a bit. Other team started stomping us, which didn't make my life any easier.

I need to get better at ganking though. Went with Smite / Exhaust, but am thinking that possibly Flash is a better choice. Just that with Exhaust I don't think I'll have to worry at all about finding a counter jungler. It's hard to try n get those perfect pillars and even if I did get rid of some summoner spells, I didn't pick up any kills/assists till later in the game which set me back.