new laptop - should i do thermal paste?

Hey guys bought a new laptop this week and am very pleased with it. It's running my games on ultra at decent fps very smoothly but the temps as expected are quite high. In a 25 man on wow its been up to 78 degrees already only on the first day. I know that factory thermal paste is usually pretty naff, and i have some arctic silver 5, should i redo it or just leave it until heat becomes a bigger issue?

Looking for the blessing of experience here

1) Laptops are meant to run at ridiculously high temperatures
    2) Changing thermal paste is probably going to be pretty long and hard project, depending on laptop

But... It will probably benefit some...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

the best thing to do in my experience is invest in a laptop cooler stand
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834998492
    thats the first one i saw on newegg

Quote Originally Posted by OffC3nter View Post
    the best thing to do in my experience is invest in a laptop cooler stand
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834998492
    thats the first one i saw on newegg
    I agree with this guy, I purchased one from best buy, Was dished in a stretched U shape for laptop to actually disperse heat. Used it on a Dell XPS laptop. Try not to get one that lays the laptop flat, No place for the heat to actually go anywhere

Edit= Found mine. I can vouch for this lil guy, cheap and works!

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L001-...9949052&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Kasmein; 2012-02-22 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added link

I have a cooler, I am more than capable of changing the paste, already had a look at it and it's a straight forward setup/ acess point. Just looking for experience as to if it will make a diff given that it's so soon after buying it.

After putting some AS5 on my laptop's cpu and gpu, both are running noticeably cooler. Note that opening up or messing with components of your laptop usually voids the warranty, which is why I waited so long to do this.

As Off mentioned, a laptop cooler helps out a lot, provided that you go with a quality one. Even laptops with fancy dual fan exhausts and all that eventually heat up because they have significantly less space/air inside to dissipate heat to. 78 degrees is really nothing to worry about, and you probably won't do any damage unless your components get into the 90s Celsius. Despite knowing this, I tend to turn all of my games down to low settings just to keep things cool, but don't get worried about temps pre-90 degrees C.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    I have a cooler, I am more than capable of changing the paste, already had a look at it and it's a straight forward setup/ acess point. Just looking for experience as to if it will make a diff given that it's so soon after buying it.
    It will probably make a difference, yes. It just seems a little overkill to me. Personally( Not wanting to void the warranty) I would just focus more on putting the cpu/gpu through less stress while gaming. Drivers up to date, And possibly try a program that closes backround programs/instances while you game. Gamebooster3 is what I use. I haven't monitored temps with it, But games do run smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmein View Post
    It will probably make a difference, yes. It just seems a little overkill to me. Personally( Not wanting to void the warranty) I would just focus more on putting the cpu/gpu through less stress while gaming. Drivers up to date, And possibly try a program that closes backround programs/instances while you game. Gamebooster3 is what I use. I haven't monitored temps with it, But games do run smoother.
    Well I had to open it up day 1 to install an extra stick of ram i had spare anyway so the warranty is already gone, I am just curious as to if the typical factory applied thermal paste is usually that poor that AS5 would help even though it's so new.

I have a cooler and up to date drivers already, gb prob a good idea though i have used that before. I am concerned about heat as my previous laptop died after just a year and a half due to heat stress, that was shutting down at 60-70 degrees so something was really wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Well I had to open it up day 1 to install an extra stick of ram i had spare anyway so the warranty is already gone, I am just curious as to if the typical factory applied thermal paste is usually that poor that AS5 would help even though it's so new.

I have a cooler and up to date drivers already, gb prob a good idea though i have used that before. I am concerned about heat as my previous laptop died after just a year and a half due to heat stress, that was shutting down at 60-70 degrees so something was really wrong with it.
    I don't use my gaming laptop anymore, I just used it like a desktop and kept it plugged in for nearly a year and ruined the battery and had heat issues as well. I'm wondering if your other laptop had some other issues besides heat, like possibly some bad memory on why it was crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmein View Post
    I don't use my gaming laptop anymore, I just used it like a desktop and kept it plugged in for nearly a year and ruined the battery and had heat issues as well. I'm wondering if your other laptop had some other issues besides heat, like possibly some bad memory on why it was crashing.
    Nah I had new memory on it and tested both sticks in both slots with memtest, was a definite heat issue i used throttle stop to downclock the processor, so long as i kept it running cool the shutdowns wouldnt happen. As it got closer to the end thermal throttling also took over and the system put the processor down to 9x multiplier which is half what it should have been running at.
    Last edited by Jeleh; 2012-02-22 at 11:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    New laptop. No you will void the warranty.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

10+ Year Old Account
    Changing ram sticks won't void the warranty, I believe that's only on Dell laptops, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Changing ram sticks won't void the warranty, I believe that's only on Dell laptops, but that's about it.
    I believe the US and UK are the same when it comes to PCs and laptops in that they are classed as user maintainable, so you can install/upgrade to your hearts content and the manufacturer's warranty will still apply (regardless of what the warranty actually stipulates). The manufacturer would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the fault stemmed from any changes you made for it to be invalid (for example, if I replaced a CPU and the motherboard died, it'd be covered under warranty if it wasn't the CPU or my installation that did it. If, however, it was me or the CPU that killed it, and either I refused to produce the CPU that did the damage for investigation or did so and it was determined to be the fault, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.)

The problem with laptops and their CPUs lies with the amount of disassembly and sometimes force required to remove the cooler to even access the CPU. If you're concerned about the temperature, contact the manufacturer and ask them what temperature it should be getting up to. Don't mention the temperatures you're getting until they give you figures, or they're likely to just say "Yes, that sounds about right". It may be that there is a fault with your laptop in some way, and it needs replacing.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    78* on a laptop on ultra is what i would expect from a high performance laptop, in my completely honest opinion if you gained 2* from doing this i would be suprised but im more interested in you proving it wrong, so try it out!

it would be an incredible pain in the ass to do though i bet..
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Honestly, 78c for a laptop is quite normal... I had a Asus G73JH-A2 first release and it played WoW with temps getting to about 78-80c. You really only need to worry about temps with laptop GPU's when they reach around 90c or higher. Until then, its pretty common to see those temps.

Ok thanks for the feedback on the temps, I guess given that i invested £600 in the laptop (as a student thats a hell of a lot to me) I am concerned about it dieing to heat stress like my old one.

Think I will prob shift settings down from ultra to high or something and ease the burden a bit also, may still do the paste will check the warranty and see if its voided by something simple, cheers guys.