1 0.81%
  • Baruch Spinoza

0 0%
  • Other

40 32.26%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Your favourite philosopher?

Mine has to be Hegel. I love Hegel, the crazy bastard.

I apologize if your favourite isn't on the poll.
    Last edited by Deicide; 2012-02-23 at 12:14 AM.
    I don't think it's possible to have a sense of tragedy without having a sense of humor.

Ancient History class is so long ago i cant remember who said what :<

Douglas Adams, I'm considering him a philosopher in his own special kind of way.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have to go with Sun Tzu. Always been fascinated by war strategies and ALOT of his stuff can be used on a ton of different situations aswell. Also working as a military strategist so.

Hmmm, this is difficult to decide. I agree that Hegel is fascinating. But there are so many others that I love. Kierkegaard, Kant, Pierce, Nietzsche, and Mill are a few of my other favorites. I think if I had to choose just one I would settle on Kierkegaard. His work is fascinating and I absolutely love his method of writing.

Deleted
    From the list, Marx, easily. Though Bertrand Russel was pretty awesome. I haven't read any of his stuff in full (it's on my to-do list!), but whenever I see extracts and ideas brought up, I'm always impressed.
    People off the list I am impressed by are people like Voltaire, Thomas Paine and Mark Twain (if I can include him) and some others. Sam Harris isn't technically a philosopher but, by Hades, his ideas are brilliant!

10+ Year Old Account
    no Hobbes or Socrates

10+ Year Old Account
    Karl Marx.
    Blah, blah, blah, communism, blah, blah, blah, U.S.S.R - you know what go read what Karl Marx actually wrote, take your education in your own hands and don't criticize me for my choice. If this society were to educate our young we'd give them the books and just make them read them and question them. I read Karl Marx and he was a brilliant humanist who cared for his fellow man, that's what I thought, you may think different, but only do so with an informed opinion.

Sorry if I rambled there, but I'm just bringing the firehose in preparation.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

No offense meant in anyway, but.... any philosopher who keeps his bs to himself is my kind of philosopher. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    no Hobbes or Socrates
    No St. Thomas Aquinas either.

Or Avicenna or Maimonides.

Short list. Going with Thomas Aquinas

10+ Year Old Account
    Why isn't Gandhi on the list?

10+ Year Old Account
    George Carlin isn't on the list?

You have Socrates' student, and Socrates' Student's student....but no Socrates.

...mine is Socrates.

From the list:
    Marx. I even named my Bearded Dragon after him.
    Nietzsche is a close second, though.

I also love Sartre, and I consider Jung to be great philosopher as well.

I don't generally agree with any of them, but I do appreciate intelligence and wisdom much greater than mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    George Carlin isn't on the list?
    George Carlin is classified under other. Not to offend the OP but I bet you ask most people about George Carlin and their first thought is either moron or comedian. Sadly those people don't think in 3 dimensions or more either because they can't or they don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I also love Sartre.
    If we're going with the French, Camus is fantastic, The Stranger is a great read for those who get tired of their own reality.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexter2k5 View Post
    George Carlin is classified under other. Not to offend the OP but I bet you ask most people about George Carlin and their first thought is either moron or comedian. Sadly those people don't think in 3 dimensions or more either because they can't or they don't know.
    George Carlin is brilliant. However, I wouldn't define him as a philosopher. I chose scholars/academics/intellectuals the well known ones, purely for convenience.
    I don't think it's possible to have a sense of tragedy without having a sense of humor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFNK View Post
    No St. Thomas Aquinas either.

Or Avicenna or Maimonides.

Short list. Going with Thomas Aquinas
    He misses a lot, but I guess it is impossible to to get them all since there is so much.

Socrates is my favorite, maybe because I can kind of see a part of him in me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I think for myself.

no Chairman Mao?