Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Why GW2 will fail: Hypothetical discussion

[Disclaimer: Taken for discussion. Not as a start for a flame war or a way to troll. Purely as a point of interest I'm very much so looking forward to GW2]

Taken from the Tales of Tyria podcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_kVA...ailpage#t=913s
    15 Minutes in.
    Obviously this is for the sake of discussion and as explained in the video the oppinions shared in this thread may not directly reflect what that individual thinks.

I had to try to actually find something that would cause the downfall of gw2 and this is what I came up with. Its mainly due to me having a discussion with one of my friends who knows little about GW2 and sounded very disappointed that he could not play a paladin tank or healer as those are his favourite roles in previous MMOs (ofcourse I explained and pointed out the guardian)

"The abolition of the holy trinity will make the hardcore players of the key roles in said trinity feel left out and short changed, therefore turning them off the game as it will not fill the needs for those players to be appriciated for the roles they perform"

Lets hear your discussion and your "views" on how GW2 could fail

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis View Post
    [Disclaimer: Taken for discussion. Not as a start for a flame war or a way to troll. Purely as a point of interest I'm very much so looking forward to GW2]

Taken from the Tales of Tyria podcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_kVA...ailpage#t=913s
    15 Minutes in.
    Obviously this is for the sake of discussion and as explained in the video the oppinions shared in this thread may not directly reflect what that individual thinks.

I had to try to actually find something that would cause the downfall of gw2 and this is what I came up with. Its mainly due to me having a discussion with one of my friends who knows little about GW2 and sounded very disappointed that he could not play a paladin tank or healer as those are his favourite roles in previous MMOs (ofcourse I explained and pointed out the guardian)

"The abolition of the holy trinity will make the hardcore players of the key roles in said trinity feel left out and short changed, therefore turning them off the game as it will not fill the needs for those players to be appriciated for the roles they perform"

Lets hear your discussion and your "views" on how GW2 could fail
    I love healing, was a healer all my WoW career and during the brief stint with SWToR, I am still looking forward to GW2 and looking forward to learning to play a different role. I think it's one of the things I am more excited about.
    I will miss the recognition you get (good healers and tanks would know) but I am going in with a positive attitude and will enjoy learning new ways of doing things.

Well as we know there is a decided lack of dedicated healers or tanks so I cant see how a handful of people feeling left out spells doom for what is going to be THE mmorpg this year.

Well you can still heal and tank to an extent. There will still be certain proffs with more healing abilities than others (and support overall so you can help prevent damage instead of just healing it) and you still need people to take damage. Tanking wont be quite the same as in wow, but again, certain proffs can take more damage and spec to take even more than others. This means that they can be the ones getting hit for longer than others. The appeal, for me at least, to tanking and healing is that it is more dynamic and reactive than dps which is basically what GW2 seems to be, dynamic and reactive. So no, i dont think that will make it fail. Also, the majority of players are still dps so most people will still be interested.

I was a paladin tank in WoW for a long... long time. I will miss the recognition - but - I am excited about the new recognition I can get as a great player and a great personality. Still deciding between warrior or guardian.... but whatever I choose I will enjoy it and people will enjoy playing with me.

If people refuse to learn a new role, then the game will be lost on them.

The abolition of the holy trinity will empower a multitude of players to enjoy an mmo in a way that they have never had the ability to before GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why GW2 will succeed:

No subscription fee.

It isn't that there are not healers or tanks, its that everyone can heal and tank and everyone can basically switch to it on the fly with weapon setups.

Well, I guess there are no real "healers" but some classes can cast heals, but from what i can tell they are all AOE things. But you have lots of buffers and cleansers and such.

When has any game relied on the tiny number of "hardcore" players to become successful?

This thread needs to be closed, or at the very least the title needs to be changed. The way it stands now, this thread will become worse than any of the other trinity threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    I will miss the recognition you get (good healers and tanks would know) but I am going in with a positive attitude and will enjoy learning new ways of doing things.
    As a long time (good) tank, I'm not worried about any lack of recognition. Good players will still get noticed.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

Deleted
    It's a game more focused on PVP, where the trinity isn't so much of a priority.

I think it will be a great success due to the no sub fee, i don't think it will ever compete with wow numbers wise, but i have a feeling it will dwarf SWTOR

But only time will tell, have high hopes for this game.

An interesting video... although I must point out that this video is about 4 months old.

If I remember correctly, GW1 had an observer mode, and what's to say there won't be one in GW2? Nothing, which is of course the problem, but I think ArenaNet is assuming that by them saying "This is a competitive game", it is insinuating that there is indeed observer mode. I do believe ArenaNet actually DID say there was an observer mode... but don't quote me, nor ask for a source, as I do not have one.

Again, most of this information is outdated, and opinions have changed. SWTOR is already old news, and a point was brought up that GW2 will be competing with it. Yes, it will be, but not the point that I think one of the gentleman believed.

EDIT: Also, ANet knows people believe the abolition of the Trinity will alienate healers and tanks. They believe, however, that healers and tanks didn't necessarily enjoy the "healing" or "tanking" role, per se, but the support role, and the idea that they were important to the team and were pivotal in their success.
    Last edited by Koshun; 2012-02-23 at 03:00 AM.

I couldn't disagree more. I've been a tank with my guild since mid BC and I can't wait for GW2. I don't know if I'm an outlier here, but most of the tanks and healers I know (through my guild and just playing WoW for a while) only tank/heal because it gets them in raids easier. DPS is a dime a dozen tbh, and I started tanking on my warr because my current guild was recruiting a tank. Then I fell into that role and haven't really been able to get out of it. The idea that I will be swapping in and out of DPS/Tank (self-healing all the while) is just awesome to me. This new trinity sort of thing is going to be awesome, I think. No dumb DPS who just pew pew without regard for anything, no heals who don't even know what is going on in the fight, other than damage being taken, and no sitting in a corner timing CD's and watching stacks of X to taunt.

But again, maybe I'm strange and other tanks out there really do enjoy standing still, waiting to taunt, or healers enjoy whatever it is they do. To each their own.

"Why this thread won't end well"

This won't be the first game I've played that didn't have the trinity, and it's because of that I'm more hyped for this game than any other game previously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to GW2 making me a much more well-rounded player (and not due to the amount of time I'll be sitting behind the keyboard, either).

Games WITH the holy trinity have a tendancy to crash and burn quickly as well due to crap gameplay, too many bugs, not enough content, etc. I see the abolition as something that could potentially attract more people and have less chance at failure because it's something different for a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    As a long time (good) tank, I'm not worried about any lack of recognition. Good players will still get noticed.

Agreed... Recognition is very easy to come by.

Good players know what good players do.
    Bad players may not realise exactly what you're doing... but if you need recognition from bads, you're probably not very good yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    "Why this thread won't end well"
    Ha, pretty much what I read too. I was honestly waiting for one of these comedy threads to spring up soon what with all the new vids and info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis View Post
    I don't understand this. You can trait as a support (replaces heals) heavy character or as a control (replaces tank) heavy character. If you try to fill that roll exclusively, forgoing anything else you will fail, or at least be a burden, in fact, the way the weapons are set up, it's almost impossible to fill one roll the entire time. Guild Wars 2 is designed around individuals (who are able to take care of themselves) grouping up with other individuals (who are also able to take care of themselves) working together, helping each other out, to tackle content/ thousand foot long dragons...
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2012-02-23 at 03:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter