Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Got to feel a little sorry for Bobby V, opening day here, have Justin Verlander! OK so we're taking Verlander out but here, have the guy who hasn't blown a save since 2010 - that's cool, plate two runs off him, oh hi Austin Jackson.....

Can't wait for tomorrow - hopefully we can get the season off to a winning start against the Rays!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Depends on how the weather is that day. I dunno why the Jays can't start the season at home with the dome and all
    Monday is going to only be 11-12C. Might be a bit chilly. Dunno. All those people might warm it up a few degrees :P

Am I looking at the box score wrong, or did the Jays use every relief pitcher they have in today's game? I guess they have tomorrow off...

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    AL. E. TB
    W.LA
    C. Detroit
    WC. Yanks

NL. E. Phils
    W.San Fran.
    C. Brewers

World series is going to be Angels over the Phils and I hate the Angels so there you go.

15+ Year Old Account
    Modifying this thread to be the official 2012 MLB thread. Since it's pretty active I think this is a good bet. Feel free to continue to make your predictions as the OP intended.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Am I looking at the box score wrong, or did the Jays use every relief pitcher they have in today's game? I guess they have tomorrow off...
    Well playing 16 innings was def a good way to get everyone in the game. Either way any team is going to go through a bulk of their relief pitchers (if not all) when a game goes on that long. Great come back win for them though. They have a damn good up and coming team. Their farm team is ranked second best as well. The pieces are in place. The only question mark is the pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Well playing 16 innings was def a good way to get everyone in the game.
    Was just kind of surprised. My team has two guys who could easily go 4-5 innings in a pinch (the lefty and righty long reliever/spot starters).

LOL Pena just DEMOLISHED a CC pitch for a grand slam in the 1st.... oh boy here we go

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    LOL Pena just DEMOLISHED a CC pitch for a grand slam in the 1st.... oh boy here we go
    /evil laugh

Ahhh... schadenfruede.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice start to the season for the Jays, great to see Arencebia and Bautista haven't missed a step.

Interesting fact; due to the fact that the Blue Jays are the only MLB team in Canada, I guess they get to do their endorsements nation-wide. I saw a poster with Jose Bautista promoting Booster Juice here in Vancouver the other day.

Yanks scrappin it like an NL club.. what's going on?

yeah gotta be said when you're walking guys intentionally in the first inning it's questionable, more so when it's Pena who is very much one of those guys who if you make a mistake, well, that happens!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Nice start to the season for the Jays, great to see Arencebia and Bautista haven't missed a step.

Interesting fact; due to the fact that the Blue Jays are the only MLB team in Canada, I guess they get to do their endorsements nation-wide. I saw a poster with Jose Bautista promoting Booster Juice here in Vancouver the other day.
    Well considering we haven't had the Expos in Montreal for years now, it makes sense. Also, Rogers owns the Jays so they can broadcast and advertise wherever they want in Canada, there are no region restrictions. I think it's a great thing though, as team exposure means more advertising revenue, as the team gets better and ticket sales go up, the ownership is going to invest more money in players to win and keep their stars around longer. I think if the team has a good season, they will be contending in a couple of years.

lol, Mariano Rivera blew the save. It just makes me happy when bad things happen to the Yankees...

Mo blows the save - what the hell?!? Incidentally Carlos Pena CRUSHED that ball!

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. The Twins played their A+ affiliate today and almost lost (squeaked out an 8-7 victory). The O's played a community college yesterday... and lost (granted, the college was using O's pitchers... but still...).
    I literally turned off my radio and didn't read/listen to anything baseball related until The O's played today. Sh*t was that depressing.

Full disclosure:
    - starters didn't play the full game
    - the community college team got to use at least one, if not two of the O's pitchers and an Oriole catcher
    - it was for charity

... but still. I don't mind the fact that the O's hitters didn't do well against ML pitchers, but I DEFINITELY have a problem w/ our pitching giving up multiple runs to a community college team. Guys that will probably never see the light of day in professional baseball. I'm not even sure why they played this game. (They filled in for another team that apparently didn't want to do it this year) I know it's for charity, but really, there's nothing good that could have come from this for the Orioles organization.

If you win ... Grats, you just beat a community college team. At least it was for charity.

If you lose ... Grats, you just showed that even guys that couldn't make it in Rookie League ball give you trouble ... and you did it in probably the most depressing offseason this team has had since they moved here in 1954. The same offseason in which pretty much every baseball executive in this hemisphere ran away from your open GM position like you had the black plague. Literally, the only 2 people that wanted the position were an in-house Yes-Man that's been here forever and a guy that's been out of baseball for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Well playing 16 innings was def a good way to get everyone in the game. Either way any team is going to go through a bulk of their relief pitchers (if not all) when a game goes on that long. Great come back win for them though. They have a damn good up and coming team. Their farm team is ranked second best as well. The pieces are in place. The only question mark is the pitching.
    Why not just use your 5th starter? Most teams usually don't even use their 5th starter for the 1st couple of weeks because of off-days. Seems weird that they'd use their entire bullpen and leave a guy on the bench that probably won't pitch for at least 1 or 2 turns thru the rotation.

Also, in Oriole related news, Brian Roberts actually took infield practice before the game today. Though, I think it was just w/ coaches (not w/ the other players) and he was wearing one of those helmets that the 1st base/3rd base coaches wear. I really think he should retire, but I have a feeling he's going to 'hang around' until the end of his contract.

--------------

- Adam Dunn tied Ken Griffey, Jr. and Frank Robinson for the ML Record for Opening Day HR's (8). Of course that didn't stop the White Sox lineup from making Colby Lewis look like a Cy Young candidate. lol
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the implication that the Orioles pitching might be better than that on a community college, but I'm skeptical

the Dodgers have a winning record, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    I literally turned off my radio and didn't read/listen to anything baseball related until The O's played today. Sh*t was that depressing.
    Well, the two teams I mentioned (Twins and O's) played earlier, and the O's won. I don't feel like doing the research, but I feel like this might be the first time in my adult life that the O's have started a season with a winning record.

The 4-2 victory for the O's is deceptive though--Pavano actually pitched very well for the Twins, just got hurt by a couple walks, one bad pitch, and one bad route by an outfielder. On the other hand, the Twins near complete lack of offense is scary in a bad way (for me, a Twins fan).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the two teams I mentioned (Twins and O's) played earlier, and the O's won. I don't feel like doing the research, but I feel like this might be the first time in my adult life that the O's have started a season with a winning record.

The 4-2 victory for the O's is deceptive though--Pavano actually pitched very well for the Twins, just got hurt by a couple walks, one bad pitch, and one bad route by an outfielder. On the other hand, the Twins near complete lack of offense is scary in a bad way (for me, a Twins fan).

Today's win, while uplifting, was as surprising as some might think. While this will almost certainly be a 15th consecutive losing season, the O's actually fair rather well on Opening Day. Thought I heard on the radio that the only 2 teams that have better Opening Day records were the Yankee's and Met's. Not sure what time span that covers though. I do know that they've done very well on Opening Day since the late 90's (for whatever that's worth).

As for the win against the Twins; Yeah, that definitely could have gone either way and I share your concern over the Twins offense. That was a little hard to watch. I still have to question whether Morneau is 100%. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it, but considering Brian Roberts has been fighting w/ the same type of injury for almost a year and a half now ...

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I like the implication that the Orioles pitching might be better than that on a community college, but I'm skeptical

the Dodgers have a winning record, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts
    All I can say is that Kevin Gregg made the Opening Day roster. Anytime a guy of that 'quality' easily makes the team, you know you're in for a long season.

On a side note, Gregg is only the 2nd Oriole I have ever seen get so vigorous boo's when introduced on Opening Day. Aubrey Huff was the other Oriole to get boo'd.
    Last edited by Elbren; 2012-04-07 at 08:38 AM.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    As for the win against the Twins; Yeah, that definitely could have gone either way and I share your concern over the Twins offense. That was a little hard to watch. I still have to question whether Morneau is 100%. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it, but considering Brian Roberts has been fighting w/ the same type of injury for almost a year and a half now ...
    Morneau is on a 10 game hitting streak if you count spring training games, and several of those were extra base hits. He's been moved to the DH slot though, which I think means there are still concerns (he re-concussed himself diving for a ball last season). He's one wild pitch away from retirement, probably.

They have Liriano going tomorrow (or... later today?). You never know which Liriano will show up, but he was in ace form through spring training (27 IP, 33 K, 5 BB). Then I looked at the schedule and saw the O's signed Torii Hunter as a pitcher. Wait... no.. Tommy, TOMMY Hunter. Sorry, thought it might have been the best defensive pitcher ever.