Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    ROTFMFL. A-Rod was so bad tonight that the Yankees pitch hit for him in the bottom of the 9th. Ibanez came in and hit a HR. Hi-fucking-larious. A-Rod is the worst playoff performer ever in any major sport. Coming into tonight he was hitting .034 with runners in scoring position in the playoffs in his career. 1 for 32 lol. Fucking worthless.
    Barry Bonds was pretty bad in the playoffs too if I remember correctly. At least he was before the 'roids.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Well, what was a very disturbing night got a hell of a lot worse in a hurry this morning didn't it - I don't care who you are, if you lose Derek Jeter out of your lineup you're in big time trouble and well, our lineup didn't have it's troubles to seek anyway, that just made shit worse, a lot worse. Arod stinks, I could strike his pompous ass out only for him to walk back to the dugout wondering if he left the gas on in his apartment, mind you atleast unlike Swisher he's not directly responsible for costing us runs on defense too that clown walked off the field with a clean uni on when he should have laid out for two balls to record vital outs and well, Granderson, Cano aren't exactly setting the world alight either. Bases loaded THREE TIMES last night and nothing to show for it (thanks in no small part to an umpire screwing up), first time ever in Yankees history, get 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th yet can't complete the job when the Tigers were clearly shellshocked, hell you saw Cabrera last night he was swearing more than I do yet he was allowed to get his head back in the game.

If the Yankees want to win it all now we're looking at a much tougher job than it was before - before that happened I did say I expected someone who was performing to tear that team a new asshole (looked likely to be Andy Pettitte after he came out of the game) for the way they've stunk the joint out, but I can't see that happening after that.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I'm not sure I even want to go to today's game anymore.. that was heartbreaking to watch yesterday

I'm so pissed off at this offense right now.. how does one go from hitting .600+ down the strecth.. but now, can't even get a flyball to score a run from 3rd w/ less than 2 outs.. it's rediculous..

and Valverde basically handed that game to us on a silver platter and couldn't take advantage.. they deserve to lose with all those missed chances
    Last edited by sheffield; 2012-10-14 at 01:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was planning on flipping back and forth equally between the NY Giants game and the Yankees game this afternoon... I may end up sticking with the Giants just a bit more today.

After that ninth inning it feels like a bad dream.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Yet another stellar pitching display by a Yankees starter and they get sweet fuck all in return, not helped by ANOTHER bullshit call, 5 feet away and the ump straight up botched it, no two ways about that and it allowed the inning to continue, two runs to score and essentially take the last bit of fight out of the Yankees. I know we've had our fair share of calls down through the years, but to screw that call up is sickening, it was not even remotely close, it was clearly an out and the ump screwed it up, funny I thought that as adults it was our responsibility to show kids the way yet the Little League World Series is putting MLB to shame right now - that call would have been challenged & overturned, in MLB the ump will get a handshake from Selig's office and told he's doing a great job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya the call at second last night was awful. Just plain awful. It didn't cost the Yankees the game though. They still would have lost 1-0 because they couldn't hit a ball off a tee right now, unless said tee was Big Potato. Good luck Yanks beating Verlander twice and Scherzer once. The Yanks are striking out like crazy and haven't even faced the two best strikeout pitchers in the entire league yet this series.

We're already resigned to losing those games, hell the team themselves are - especially with this from Nick Swisher

http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2012/...her-creatures/

Yeah, way to go, slate the fans at Yankee Stadium, that just doesn't look like an admission that you won't be back there infront of them as a home player again does it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just heard on the radio that Jason Giambi is going to interview for managers job in Colorado. Jason Giambi who hasn't even retired yet.

Are there just no good coaches left in MLB?
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    What makes a good coach? Most of them were pretty terrible as players. And, there hasn't been one for a while, but player-manager has happened before (Pete Rose being the most recent).

I read somewhere that Paul Molitor said he would accept a coaching job with the Twins if offered (they fired several coaches the day after the season ended).
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-10-16 at 06:14 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Just heard on the radio that Jason Giambi is going to interview for managers job in Colorado. Jason Giambi who hasn't even retired yet.

He's not retired YET being the operative word - he's pretty much reduced to pinch hitting these days isn't he? (mind you I suppose with the constant inter-league play next season he'll see time at DH) Besides, at 41 he's pretty much at the end of the playing road surely!

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    He's not retired YET being the operative word - he's pretty much reduced to pinch hitting these days isn't he? (mind you I suppose with the constant inter-league play next season he'll see time at DH) Besides, at 41 he's pretty much at the end of the playing road surely!
    Mike Matheny is 42 and is coaching a team that has made it further into the post season than 28 other teams. I'd say it's feasible.

*26 other teams by the way Jaxus - there's still 4 teams officially left in it even if one is seemingly a dead duck!

As for said dead duck - both Arod AND Swisher are riding the pine pony tonight with Girardi seemingly lost confidence in both men, about damned time, they couldn't hit the average Tigers pitchers so god alone knows what Verlander & Scherzer would do to them!

god alone knows what Verlander & Scherzer would do to them!
    I really want to watch the Presidential debates tonight... but I also really want to watch Verlander...

Someone, please, make this decision for me.

Presidential Debates more likely to be competitive!

Presidential Debates more likely to be competitive!
    But can they throw curveballs like Verlander??

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 07:49 PM ----------

Verlander... looking filthy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am chomping at the bit here for this game to end. 9th inning homer by the Yanks has me panicking. 10 pitch at bat with Nunez. On pitch 8 right now with Gardner.

Thankfully Gardner grounded out. Now just Ichiro who is the only Yankee to do anything all game before Nunez.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 11:23 PM ----------

Oh god Coke is pitching. Hes been beastmode lately, but so scared.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 11:31 PM ----------

Two on, two outs. Ibanez at the plate. Panic mode at a 10.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 11:37 PM ----------

WOOOOOOOOOOO 1 game to go for the World Series and the Yanks still have to face Scherzer and Verlander again.

Was on the computer which is no where near by my tv. Website shows top of the 9th Tigers leading 2-0 so I kept hitting refresh. 2-0 became 2-1...then one out...two out...single...at that point I ran down to finish watching it on tv as I couldn't take it anymore.

Very strange to see so many Yankee hitters struggling after a regular season where they were 2nd in runs scored, 8th batting average, 2nd On-Base average, and 1st Slugging. But aside from St. Louis everybody else hasn't really been setting the world on fire hitting wise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Was on the computer which is no where near by my tv. Website shows top of the 9th Tigers leading 2-0 so I kept hitting refresh. 2-0 became 2-1...then one out...two out...single...at that point I ran down to finish watching it on tv as I couldn't take it anymore.

Very strange to see so many Yankee hitters struggling after a regular season where they were 2nd in runs scored, 8th batting average, 2nd On-Base average, and 1st Slugging. But aside from St. Louis everybody else hasn't really been setting the world on fire hitting wise.
    Don't have the stats in front of me, but the Yankees were also one of the worst teams ever in manufacturing non-HR runs. They haven't been able to build rallies with singles, walks, doubles, this year at all. Its been long ball or nothing.

hate to tell you Conscript, but rallies aren't denied by the longball or need I remind you of G1 of this series, it would be hard to classify that as anything other than a rally despite the fact it included 2 homers! We have however scored something stupid like 48% of all our runs as a result of the HR, that's far too high and needs to be addressed, you can't be that reliant on the HR ball when you're facing pitchers who simply don't give them up!

I am however calling into question the ENTIRE Yankees coaching staff now though with the exception of Larry Rothschild. I'm pretty sure I've said here that Kevin Long has got to go due to our repeated failures this year with the bat, our strikeouts are up massively, failing at hitting with RISP, situational hitting for us is non-existent and well, that's before we get to playoff hitting! Then it turns out that Arod was flirting with broads in the stands, now I'm sorry, but when it comes down to it that's a MANAGERS job to stop that happening period, that's chicken wings & beer in the clubhouse during games unprofessional (worse still that it happened AFTER he was lifted from a game & that he roped a bat boy into it) - that's just bush league bullshit and should not have been allowed to happen!

Then there's news today that during an off day with an underperforming team the bench coach is off interviewing for a managerial position - I'm sorry, but yesterday Tony Pena was the most senior member of the Yankees coaching staff due to Joe Girardi being at his father's funeral and Pena FUCKED UP. With that team being as dire as it's been he should have been with the team making sure that when they landed in Detroit they got straight to Comerica Park for workouts, not optional, but mandatory workouts, he should have been supervising it ensuring that all players were fully committed to dealing with the fact they're in a funk - instead he's off to Boston to meet with their front office guys. That's not acceptable, he's got a job to do and in the middle of a playoff series there's no way on gods green earth he should have been thinking about anything other than HIS JOB, not a future job (bush league by Boston as well for what it's worth organising such an interview at such a time!) - that I find to be pretty disrespectful.

I personally stopped watching last night after the 5th inning, no point in continuing to watch that because well, at that point we needed minimum of 2 runs off Verlander and that wasn't happening, not the way he was pitching & the way we've been swinging the bats, shocked that Eduardo Nunez - all 170lbs of him managed to get a HR but again, what's the damned point when there's no one on base to get across! With any luck this will be over tonight and we can get onto the task of rebuilding this team & management hopefully getting younger & hungrier because right now to me it looks like there's no passion in that clubhouse and the fight went out of this ball club the moment Jeter hit the dirt in game 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    (bush league by Boston as well for what it's worth organising such an interview at such a time!) - that I find to be pretty disrespectful.
    Ya Pena deserves blame for taking that meeting, but seriously what organization does that? Playoff teams are usually not poached until they are out of the playoffs. A senior guy on the staff doing it is bad. Doing it for Boston is worse.

On the inevitable rebuild which is going to be through traditional means not a checkbook, assuming the owners are to be believed, do you think the Yankees should get rid of A-Rod by any means possible? They are likely going to have to pay a significant chunk of his salary to dump him on a team like the Marlins or Astros.