Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats to SF... Figure I should actually say it this time since I didn't quite feel like the last 2 years. Rangers fell apart way before the WS this year so I'm plenty over it at this point

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about the Series though is aside from Game 1 the Detroit pitchers kept their teams in the games really well. Again throwing out Game 1's shelling, 8 runs over 27 innings (2.57 ERA) is not bad at all and their offense could and should have delivered. However when you are facing pitching dealing an incredible 4 over 27 inn (1.29) you don't stand much of a chance especially with frozen bats and stars that need the Heimlich maneuver badly. That being said the Detroit batters were, for the most part, making decent to good contact they were just finding gloves quickly. I forget what the sabermetrical stat is called to show this but I'm sure it is there They didn't play up to their potential but by no means did they give SF the series.

The Series was just a showcase of a team flat out beating another team; being better in all facets of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off Season Update:

- Angels are looking to move Dan Haren or Ervin Santana, possibly both. Looks like they're trying to free up money sign Grienke long-term.

- Rafael Soriano opted out of his contract. Looks like he'd rather be a FA than make a guaranteed $14 Mil. with the Yankee's.

- Dodgers look like they're going to go after a trade for James Shields.

- Ryan Ludwick declined his mutual option, making him a FA, but it sounds like both he and the Reds are interested in keeping him in Cincinnati.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    The thing about the Series though is aside from Game 1 the Detroit pitchers kept their teams in the games really well. Again throwing out Game 1's shelling, 8 runs over 27 innings (2.57 ERA) is not bad at all and their offense could and should have delivered. However when you are facing pitching dealing an incredible 4 over 27 inn (1.29) you don't stand much of a chance especially with frozen bats and stars that need the Heimlich maneuver badly. That being said the Detroit batters were, for the most part, making decent to good contact they were just finding gloves quickly. I forget what the sabermetrical stat is called to show this but I'm sure it is there They didn't play up to their potential but by no means did they give SF the series.

The Series was just a showcase of a team flat out beating another team; being better in all facets of the game.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Btw, I like your avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Off Season Update:

- Angels are looking to move Dan Haren or Ervin Santana, possibly both. Looks like they're trying to free up money sign Grienke long-term.

- Rafael Soriano opted out of his contract. Looks like he'd rather be a FA than make a guaranteed $14 Mil. with the Yankee's.

- Dodgers look like they're going to go after a trade for James Shields.

- Ryan Ludwick declined his mutual option, making him a FA, but it sounds like both he and the Reds are interested in keeping him in Cincinnati.
    Dodgers are looking for trade partners for Ethier apparently, so might be an idea to involve the Rays, but not so sure the Rays would be willing to give Shields up.

Soriano, couldn't care less, he may have saved 42 games this season, but besides the fact he's the moodiest fucker around he's also arrogant & didn't like the fact he wasn't THE GUY in New York, could have got 100 saves this year and he wouldn't get close to being the guy in the Yankees pen - even after the guy went down! He's also greedy, typical Boras client I suppose, but couple that with the fact a number of Yankee fans simply didn't trust him (I'm in that group), I suppose after those years of essentially having the one guy who people don't want to face in your pen it was always going to be tricky, but I would have preferred conditioning Robertson for the closers role long term.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Dodgers are looking for trade partners for Ethier apparently, so might be an idea to involve the Rays, but not so sure the Rays would be willing to give Shields up.
    I love Ethier, but ... Ugh, that contract. Thought I saw where he's making $18 mil. each of the last two years of the deal.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

15+ Year Old Account
    Off Season Update:

Santana gone to the Royals for a minor league reliever. Angels will even pay some of Santana's salary next year.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love Ethier, but ... Ugh, that contract. Thought I saw where he's making $18 mil. each of the last two years of the deal.
    Dodgers are going to have to pay someone to take a left-handed RF who can't hit lefties. The Dodgers have over $100M locked up in just 5 players each season until 2017. It's hilarious...

He can't hit lefties, he destroys righties, that means Cashman will be so far up Magic's ass he'll be able to do the press conference from his mouth. But in all seriousness the Dodgers have went more than a little loco, the trade really handcuffed them something terrible!

10+ Year Old Account
    at least the Dodgers stuck with a League for 7 figures a year instead of going after Soriano for 8

not much of an at least...

but it makes me wonder who Soriano thinks is gonna pay him that much money, maybe the reliever market is crazy enough that somebody will, but most people who want to make stupid crazy money stick with the Yankees rather than opt out, so many teams are cutting costs, the Dodgers already have a bullpen, Texas will probably be focusing on Hamilton

the guy is trying to top Papelbon's contract, which was a pretty crazy one IMO

all I've heard is maybe Detroit tabbing him to replace Valverde, which doesn't sound super likely to me, they'd be paying double what they were paying their closer, but who knows it could happen, it only takes one crazy team to get a crazy contract (Jayson Werth)

Soriano thinks he's gonna that sort of money because of his performances in Tampa Bay & the fact he was the Yankees closer this year, unless your name is Mariano Rivera you're not going to get that sort of deal - even Mo didn't get those sorts of deals! Mind you a lot of it is down to agent, quite why anyone in baseball deals with that prick Boras is beyond me, I know he's got all the major talent, but if I was a GM I would not be dealing with any Scott Boras agency clients as the contracts are ALWAYS structured in such a way they fuck the team over. Like I said, I'm glad we're rid of him (so far) because far as I'm concerned he was far too pissy over the fact he was not even considered the second best guy in that bullpen, had it not been for Robertson getting injured I believe Girardi would have stuck with him as closer as opposed to going to Soriano.

10+ Year Old Account
    Angels trade Haren to the Cubs for RP Carlos Marmol.

I hope a deal with Greinke is all but done. If not and he walks, that's 3 of their 5 starts gone.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 12:25 AM ----------

Well, looks like the Angel's/Cubs deal didn't actually happen.

- Deal was pending Marmol's approval (no-trade clause)
    - Marmol approves deal; thought he was traded.
    - Cubs pull deal off the table.
    - Red Sox, who were also looking at trading for Haren today, also decided against it.

Angel's decline Haren's option, paying his $3.5 Mil. buyout, making him a FA.

crazy.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    He can't hit lefties, he destroys righties, that means Cashman will be so far up Magic's ass he'll be able to do the press conference from his mouth. But in all seriousness the Dodgers have went more than a little loco, the trade really handcuffed them something terrible!
    Ethier is a $20M platoon player and the Yankees want to get under the $189M luxury tax threshold for next year. The Dodgers are literally going to have to pay someone to take him and they're better off just hanging onto him like the Giants hung onto Rowand until the final year of his contract...

If Rafael Soriano were a LOOGY with his stuff, he'd probably get $36M/3yrs. As it stands he'll probably get >$25M/3yrs anyway, typical overpaid closer stuff. Hell, the Dodgers severely overpaid for Brandon League yet again by giving him $22.5/3yrs.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-11-03 at 11:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the League contract is standard for an established closer

maybe if they pay him like one and wish hard enough, he will be one!

but in all likelihood, the first thing that goes wrong Jansen has the job, so League becomes an expensive setup man, oh well

it will be interesting to see if the Dodgers go after a starter and try to get some years on the contract, lately what I've been used to seeing is somebody signing short-term with the Dodgers because they know they can put in good numbers at Dodger Stadium and parlay that into a bigger contract, but with the big spenders in charge now maybe it won't just be more Randy Wolf 1-year deals and they will go after somebody like Greinke

Who needs Rafael Soriano when you have Mariano Rivera coming back for 2013!

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    the League contract is standard for an established closer

maybe if they pay him like one and wish hard enough, he will be one!

but in all likelihood, the first thing that goes wrong Jansen has the job, so League becomes an expensive setup man, oh well
    Right, League is a closer who already lost his job as a Mariner, so paying him closer stuff doesn't make sense to me. Not when Jansen is so cheap. The Dodgers seem intent on pissing away money on unworthy players. As a Giants fan I'm perfectly fine with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of ridiculous contracts ... anyone see where Josh Hamilton's agent said they're looking for a 7 year/$175 Mil. deal?

15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of ridiculous contracts ... anyone see where Josh Hamilton's agent said they're looking for a 7 year/$175 Mil. deal?
    Doesn't surprise me that they want that and wouldn't surprise me if he got that. Surprised they aren't looking for the Pujols 10 year $250 million deal. They are pretty comparable players.
    Hamilton:
    2010 32 HR, 100 RBI, .359/.411/.633 8.4 WAR
    2011 25 HR, 94 RBI, .298/.346/.536 3.5 WAR
    2012 43 HR, 128 RBI, .285/.354/.577 3.4 WAR]
    Three year total: 100 HR, 322 RBI, .314/.370/.582 15.3 WAR

Pujols:
    2010 42 HR, 118 RBI .312/.414/.596 7.3 WAR
    2011 37 HR, 99 RBI, .299/.366/.541 5.1 WAR
    2012 30 HR, 105 RBI, .285/.343/.516 4.6 WAR
    Three year total: 109 HR, 322 RBI, .298/.374/.551 17 WAR

Pretty similar guys really. One key difference, Hamilton put up similar stats in 58 less games over the past three seasons. So health is a concern, but this is a guy that is the best hitter in the game when healthy.

Major difference between Hamilton & Pujols though is that Pujols has legitimately been one of the best players in baseball pretty much since his arrival, Hamilton is nowhere near that AND comes with more baggage than JFK airport in peak season, a lot of teams will not be interested given that baggage & the nature of it, is it likely he'll get a 7 year deal, yes, but it won't be anywhere near a Pujols style gig. Any long term deal for Hamilton I would suggest to you would have opt outs for the club should he fall off the wagon again both for drink & drugs, will require him to be chaperoned & will require substantial mandatory testing on top of MLB's drug testing - most of which the MLBPA won't like but lets be honest, I wouldn't sign him without atleast all of those & the chaperone would be 100% paid for by Hamilton personally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree, if I am looking to sign him I'd absolutely put in some sort of clause to protect the team from having to pay any additional portion of the contract if he has an incident.