Page 49 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reds seem to be contemplating moving Chapman to the rotation

time to crank up the Dusty Baker arm destroying machine

how many times we he coax 130+ pitches out of him if given the chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Major difference between Hamilton & Pujols though is that Pujols has legitimately been one of the best players in baseball pretty much since his arrival, Hamilton is nowhere near that AND comes with more baggage than JFK airport in peak season, a lot of teams will not be interested given that baggage & the nature of it, is it likely he'll get a 7 year deal, yes, but it won't be anywhere near a Pujols style gig. Any long term deal for Hamilton I would suggest to you would have opt outs for the club should he fall off the wagon again both for drink & drugs, will require him to be chaperoned & will require substantial mandatory testing on top of MLB's drug testing - most of which the MLBPA won't like but lets be honest, I wouldn't sign him without atleast all of those & the chaperone would be 100% paid for by Hamilton personally.
    I actually think teams will have more problems with the guaranteed years then they would the money.

How can you guarantee him 6 - 7 years with this type of baggage? Not only does he have well documented drug and alcohol issues in his past, but he has addiction problems as recent as this past season. He was caught drinking before Spring Training (Feb.?), he attributed his June/July slump to him trying to quit chewing tobacco and he was apparently intaking so much caffeine, that it was causing vision and balance problems. He ended up missing 5 games because of it.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Reds seem to be contemplating moving Chapman to the rotation

time to crank up the Dusty Baker arm destroying machine

how many times we he coax 130+ pitches out of him if given the chance?
    Ya that will about do it for Chapman's career. 2013 he pitches 30 starts, throws 100+ 20 times. 2014 he will be hurt during his first start, get Tommy John's, come back in 2015 and throw 85.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hamilton misses a lot of games for injury and slumps every time he relapses (which seem to be more and more often), but damn when he is hot it's an amazing sight. I will certainly miss him if someone else signs him, even with the baggage and drama he brings.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Chapman might not be that susceptible to injury even with Dusty Baker in charge of his innings. Like Lincecum, most of his velocity comes from his long stride and not his arm / hip rotation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Updated thread title for post season news and discussion. Thread will continue for the 2013 season.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Technically it's the off-season, the post-season is over.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    it's after (post) the season, I see no problem...

Indians cut the chaff, dropped Hafner, possibly (sad but I kinda hope) drop Grady... now if they go and get any actual decent free agents...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Technically it's the off-season, the post-season is over.
    technically the post-season could go until the next season starts. there will be a pre-season change though. Its too early to talk about pre-season imo

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In the MLB the playoff bracket is called the postseason since it is directly linked to the regular season preceding it. The period BETWEEN seasons is the off-season where all the hot stove and winter league action occurs. It's not called the postseason because it is conjuncted by the next season as well. In fact most people will get mad at you if you call elimination tournament after the regular season "the playoffs" rather than "the postseason."
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-11-08 at 06:01 AM.

how about meet in the middle and rename it to off-season when the winter meetings start in 3 weeks?

15+ Year Old Account
    Brewers reportedly interested in Hamilton. WTF. So they let Prince walk, guy who is way younger, but are considering making a similar financial investment in a guy who can't stay healthy and has tremendous off the field concerns.

And they are going to bring him to the beer capital of America.

Where he would play on a team names the BREWERS.

That is like putting Len Bias on a team named the White Horses. (For those who don't know Len Bias was a phenomenal basketball player in the 80s who would have made the Celtics and unstoppable behemoth for a decade but died shortly after signing with the Cs of a cocaine overdose. He was the most famous cocaine using athlete I could think of).

Am I the only one who sees irony if Hamilton plays for the Brewers. The Brewers?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Am I the only one who sees irony if Hamilton plays for the Brewers. The Brewers?
    Assuming you read the second half of my post, no you aren't alone lol. Would be hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if the organization could take the risk of him relapsing in a Brewers uniform, playing in Miller Park, it would look pretty bad on them and their sponsors

Even if he is ok, he is a fair representation of the dangers of alcohol, in a Brewers uniform, playing in Miller Park, even at his best he doesn't jive with their atmosphere, just having Hamilton around would remind people how serious alcoholism is, which conflicts with this organization more than any other

I'd venture to guess it won't be more than a bit of offseason whimsy since there are so many factors against it

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Assuming you read the second half of my post, no you aren't alone lol. Would be hilarious.
    d'oh, one of the few times I didn't read an entire post before responding...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Giants uniform...I want to see a true left-handed slugger launch balls 50 feet into McCover Cove again.

Other reason it might be a bit dodgy in Miller Park, you'd have constant whispers about two of your starting outfielders being on something.... (yeah, poor I know, I'll get me coat)

I came all good & ready to slate Strasburg getting the silver slugger, but I'll have to shut up, just seen he hit .277 this season, that's impressive for a pitcher I suppose, it's a little funny to see the giving pitchers awards for hitting when the majority of them stink with a bat, but hey I guess if anything it gives us a chance to have a giggle the next day when we see it. Rest of the awards no real surprises there though, but what do you think's gonna happen next season, given we'll have constant interleague do you think they cut out the pitcher silver slugger and go for DH in both leagues OR start handing them out to AL pitchers?!?!?!? MAAAAADNESSS I tells you!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Giants uniform...I want to see a true left-handed slugger launch balls 50 feet into McCover Cove again.
    as a Dodger fan I'm not really interested in seeing the Giants get better but they make the most sense, two likely departures from last years outfield, all the spending in LA, it would be prudent to get Hamilton, their lineup would look a lot different with that big lefty bat in it

i don't care where he goes as long as it's not a team in the AL East.. seeing him in a O's uniform would be scary