Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Perhaps he didn't think he could mentally cope with another season like this one where he wasn't hitting mendoza for a long time in New York where it would be pointed out on a very public & very regular basis, did he produce a little bit yes, but you can't just throw up a bunch of homers while you're hitting less than .200 and expect not to hear about it at the Yankees. There's also maybe the fact he knows next year you might see Austin Romine pushing for a roster spot & in 2 years maybe see Gary Sanchez as well and figure "oh well, they've kept the hold of those guys for a reason" - either way it goes, he's with the bucs now and well, that's not a place I'd want to be playing ball!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

15+ Year Old Account
    A-Rod is reportedly going to need to have surgery again on his hip meaning he will miss the start of the season. Oh ya, and it isn't the hip he already had surgically repaired recently. Yankees still owe him over $100 million lol. Good contract is good.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 11:18 AM ----------

Mike Napoli signing with the Boston Red Sox.

Denard Span went to the Nats for pitching prospect Meyer. Span is (was) one of my favorite Twins the last few years, so I'm not completely happy with the trade. On the other hand, we need pitching in a very bad way. Nats fans should like this. Span is a great guy, a great defensive center fielder, and a pretty damn good lead off hitter who can take long long long at bats to give the other guys some looks at the pitcher.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Denard Span went to the Nats for pitching prospect Meyer. Span is (was) one of my favorite Twins the last few years, so I'm not completely happy with the trade. On the other hand, we need pitching in a very bad way. Nats fans should like this. Span is a great guy, a great defensive center fielder, and a pretty damn good lead off hitter who can take long long long at bats to give the other guys some looks at the pitcher.
    I hope the Twins ended up getting a comparable or better return than what they were going to get from Cincy before Span blocked that trade at the deadline.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like Tampa is signing Loney, good luck with him, hopefully his OPS will be over .650, at least there will be fewer fans for him to disappoint, but I sincerely hope he gets his career out of the toilet, he's a good guy

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I hope the Twins ended up getting a comparable or better return than what they were going to get from Cincy before Span blocked that trade at the deadline.
    It was the Nats top pitching prospect... so, that's pretty good I think.

As a Tigers fan, you should be pretty happy about it. Span always seemed to mess you up. I think he hit 3 triples in one game a couple years ago? lol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets see, Braves got Upton, Nationals got Span, Giants kept Pagan, Red Sox are close on Victorino, looks like the Phillies might be the only suitor for Bourn

if Boras was hoping for a bidding war he isn't likely to get it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    lets see, Braves got Upton, Nationals got Span, Giants kept Pagan, Red Sox are close on Victorino, looks like the Phillies might be the only suitor for Bourn

if Boras was hoping for a bidding war he isn't likely to get it
    Phils are reportedly talking with Arizona about trading Cliff Lee for Justin Upton.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't the Nat's just get Dan Haren or was that my imagination anyways if they did he's not a bad pickup at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Didn't the Nat's just get Dan Haren or was that my imagination anyways if they did he's not a bad pickup at all.
    Ya they signed Haren.
    Red Sox gave the Flying Hawaiian what I would deem to much. $13 million a year seems like a big number for a .260 hitter. I'd review his UZR and stuff but meh no motivation to care now that he is in Boston. Dead to me Flying Hawaiian.

10+ Year Old Account
    ick, yea, $13 mil a year for an overachiever on the wrong side of 30 with a declining bat

its a good thing they got out from under the Beckett/Gonzalez/Crawford contracts so they could start making smart signings!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya they signed Haren.
    Red Sox gave the Flying Hawaiian what I would deem to much. $13 million a year seems like a big number for a .260 hitter. I'd review his UZR and stuff but meh no motivation to care now that he is in Boston. Dead to me Flying Hawaiian.
    I actually don't think it's that bad. Certainly isn't a great deal, but not that bad.

Not really the same position, but Markakis will be making/stealing $15 Mil. from the O's this coming season. While I think he'll put up a better Avg./OBP/SLG line than Victorino, it'll be pretty empty considering that he's almost guaranteed to put up less than 20 HR's, less than 20 SB's, less than 100 RBI's and score less than 100 runs. Again. All while taking up space in the 2 or 3 hole.

Also, the Marlins traded Yunel Escobar to the Rays for a prospect, Derek Dietrich. That makes Nolasco the only Marlin making more than $1.75 Mil.

F U Loria.
    Last edited by Elbren; 2012-12-05 at 08:10 AM.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Victorino to the Red Sox is actually a decent move, it gives them cover for Glasscoby Ellsbury in centre, gives them more speed on the basepaths & an average defender to patrol right field - pretty much everything they needed.

Elbren - that'll be two marlins earning more than $1.75m unless we're all forgetting Stanton or are we assuming now that he's out of Miami before spring training?

15+ Year Old Account
    Marlins official payroll, excluding the money they owe to other teams, is now under $31 million. That is roughly half their payroll in 2010 and 2011, about 25% of their payroll last year, and just shy of the $36 million in 2009. Couple more moves and they can get back down to their $21 million they paid in 2008.

They'll be able to hit that with ease when the contracts come off as they'll only be able to sign players who will be willing to play for league minimum wages - that'll make it what, somewhere closer to $10m for the entire roster!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Victorino to the Red Sox is actually a decent move, it gives them cover for Glasscoby Ellsbury in centre, gives them more speed on the basepaths & an average defender to patrol right field - pretty much everything they needed.

Elbren - that'll be two marlins earning more than $1.75m unless we're all forgetting Stanton or are we assuming now that he's out of Miami before spring training?
    Didn't realize Stanton was making that much yet.

Sadly, I don't think it matters how mad he is, he's stuck under team control for quite awhile. I don't think the Marlins move him unless some team completely blows them away with an offer; I mean a crazy-stupid offer. There's just no rush to move him. Not when they can sit back and wait a couple years while he builds even more value, then deal him under the guise of, "He's starting to get too expensive and we're not close to competing. We 'have' to move him now, to improve for the future."
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Sadly, I don't think it matters how mad he is, he's stuck under team control for quite awhile. I don't think the Marlins move him unless some team completely blows them away with an offer; I mean a crazy-stupid offer. There's just no rush to move him. Not when they can sit back and wait a couple years while he builds even more value, then deal him under the guise of, "He's starting to get too expensive and we're not close to competing. We 'have' to move him now, to improve for the future."
    Unless he refuses to build value. He could go out there every game for the first couple months and basically tell the Marlins to fuck themselves as he bunts the ball or softly swings every time. I honestly don't think his future earning potential would be damaged at all if he went out and had a fuck you couple of months to start the year until they traded him.

Then again Loria could just get ran over by a city bus for some karmic retribution.

I'm sure he signed a big extension last offseason and by that time he was already a significant star.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stanton made under $500k last year, is eligible for arbitration in 2014, and eligible for free agency in 2017

so no sooner than 2013 off season when his enormous arbitration figure would be looming would they be forced to make a decision, and the likelihood that they get him to some extension and avoid arbitration seems unlikely unless they win 85+ games this year and trick him into thinking they care about being competitive, and even if they did extend him, it would only buy unitl 2016 or 17 when they would trade him

edit - look at Miguel Cabrera for precedent, in 2006 he made under $500k then in 2007 he won arbitration and made over $7 million, and after that season they traded him
    Last edited by draynay; 2012-12-05 at 07:04 PM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ya they signed Haren.
    Victorino is a below average fielder with a slightly above-average arm. Pagan is younger, a better baserunner, a better defender, a better hitter and apparently $3M cheaper too.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-12-05 at 11:36 PM.