Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Greinke deal is looking closer to reality, if it happens, it sets up Kershaw to eventually dwarf the Sabathia deal

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well with Greinke out of the picture there is really nothing that should stop Texas from resigning Hamilton, except Hamilton of course.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dodgers 2013 payroll now up to $235M and they haven't even signed Ryu Hyun-jin yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Dodgers 2013 payroll now up to $235M and they haven't even signed Ryu Hyun-jin yet.
    just signed him

so now they've got - assuming Greinke reports are true

Kershaw, Greinke, Billingsley, Beckett, Ryu, Lilly, Capuano, Harang

And they'll still underperfom, somehow.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My guess is Beckett and Capuano will be traded, with Ryu being an insurance policy for Lilly and Billingsley if they aren't fully back from injuries. Even if they trade Beckett away, the Dodgers will likely not be able to offload much of his remaining contract.

Even if they find a GM stupid enough to take Beckett they'll have to eat a significant chunk of that contract, everyone around the league knows Beckett's a jerk, they know he's trouble in the clubhouse & know he's an arrogant fool, when he's on form he can pitch but he's the kind of guy I would happily tell to stay the fuck away from the ballpark if he's not pitching! The Dodgers are gonna be expensive this year and they look like they're put together on video game numbers - but lets be honest so were the yankees for years and what have they got to show for it...
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    The Dodgers are gonna be expensive this year and they look like they're put together on video game numbers - but lets be honest so were the yankees for years and what have they got to show for it...
    a bunch of post-season appearances and championships

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 08:36 PM ----------

wow the Royals gave up a lot to get Shields, when I see who they had to ship to TB I see why the Dodgers fell out of that deal and went back to spending money while rebuilding the minor league system

the Rays got a nice package of prospects

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post

wow the Royals gave up a lot to get Shields, when I see who they had to ship to TB I see why the Dodgers fell out of that deal and went back to spending money while rebuilding the minor league system

Ya the Rays got a massive ransom for Shields. I was real surprised to see they got Meyrs plus three other decent prospects.

Dodgers signed Ryu to a 6 year $36 million deal. Their payroll is going to be insane this year.

Maybe for a change the Dodger fans will catch hell for their payroll from the league instead of all the pointless Yankee hate over payroll?

I won't hold my breath...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to think the memories of our previous owner spending all the team's money on his divorce and having to take out loans to make payroll will get us a little leeway

Not a hope in hell, any hope of that happening went out the window about $80m ago!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post

You never, ever trade with the AL East. The GMs have evolved there in the wake of having to compete with the Yankees.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fun article on the Royals trade: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...de-aint-pretty

And by fun I mean good lord that makes it look bad for the Royals.

That's how you win in this sport. Load up on talent while the majority of the small market teams never have a chance in hell. Ridiculous. They need a salary cap in the worst way or at least increase the amount of teams to 16 like basketball and hockey. Imagine the revenue they'd gain and how good it would be for the league if 16 teams got in? It would create more parity and give fans hope there team can win. It would be all around better, but of course there are some that think it's fine as is. I hope it undergoes a huge revamp similar to the ideas I've thrown out when Selig finally retires.

Or alternatively realise that teams like KC & TB are hamstringing Boston, NY, LA & you could argue for Chicago as well by being mooches because they can't draw stickmen let alone a crowd? If there is to be a cap, simply say that you can only spend what you make - I'd say that's fair.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the NFL where teams only play 16 regular season games and any team can win on any given Sunday thanks to small sample size. MLB teams play 10x that number of games and there will never be visible parity, nor do I want that. Every team in the MLB is profitable...that's why these teams still exist in the first place. The Royals exist because of the MLB luxury tax...they'd probably fold or have to relocate if they didn't get the revenue sharing from big market teams.

Why mess with success? Owners, players and league haven't resorted to strikes and lockouts for two decades whereas every other league has had its issues.

EDIT: Salary caps also have nothing to do with awful trade decisions.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-12-10 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Fun article on the Royals trade: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...de-aint-pretty

And by fun I mean good lord that makes it look bad for the Royals.
    I'm reading the article, and they say nobody has had as many as 37 HR in the minors since 1963 but I remember Billy Ashley hitting 37 in AAA in the mid-90s so who knows how many others did too, oh he said 21 year old, eh, it still feels like them trying to inflate his accomplishment last season
    Last edited by draynay; 2012-12-10 at 11:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Or alternatively realise that teams like KC & TB are hamstringing Boston, NY, LA & you could argue for Chicago as well by being mooches because they can't draw stickmen let alone a crowd? If there is to be a cap, simply say that you can only spend what you make - I'd say that's fair.
    Spend what you make?

Tampa Bay Rays with a negative payroll.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Spend what you make?

Tampa Bay Rays with a negative payroll.
    Every team is profitable thanks to revenue sharing and TV money. The Dodgers are about to land a TV deal that earns them $240-280M a year. Now take into consideration attendance and concessions and you might start to understand why they so quickly took on over $440M in payroll obligations since last April.

But yeah, salary cap talks in baseball are stupid. Neither the owners or players want it.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-12-11 at 07:19 AM.