Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should i get GW to play before GW2?

I have not played it yet, but as i understand you get cool titles and other stuff in GW2. Isit worth trying at this point or just wait for GW2?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/ $30 seems reasonable but idk. Thats for the trilogy incase you dont click the link

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I have not played it yet, but as i understand you get cool titles and other stuff in GW2. Isit worth trying at this point or just wait for GW2?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/ $30 seems reasonable but idk.
    You don't have too, they are completely different games. However guild wars 1 is a decent game (takes a bit to understand how it works) and you can do HoM for bonus rewards for GW2 (cosmetic rewards).

You can buy all 4 at gamestop for 30$ btw. Online only though.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/gui...llection/98664
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

For all 3 ? it's 10$ for each of them

Dear sir, you need to have Eye of the North to unlock those cool Titles and other stuff in GW2
    which as far as I know..another 10$(or something)
    But it all depends if your after some lore etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You don't have too, they are completely different games. However guild wars 1 is a decent game (takes a bit to understand how it works) and you can do HoM for bonus rewards for GW2 (cosmetic rewards).

You can buy all 4 at gamestop for 30$ btw. Online only though.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/gui...llection/98664
    Would it activate thru steam if i buy it that way?

Not sure what you mean, if you mean download it online no, you will have to wait for it to come in the mail - but you can take that extra 20 bucks you saved from not buying eotn (and instead buying all 4 for 30$) for 3 day shipping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Not sure what you mean, if you mean download it online no, you will have to wait for it to come in the mail - but you can take that extra 20 bucks you saved from not buying eotn (and instead buying all 4 for 30$) for 3 day shipping.
    I meant how some games Steam lets you add the cd-key and add it to your steam library. Its not a deal breaker just curious.

GW1 isnt a very good game imo and from what I have seen myself and been told by many other players its not worth the time or money. I honestly dont understand the GW2 hype based on 1 but it might end up being a good game.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

it should. I may have to pick it up myslef for all 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    GW1 isnt a very good game imo .
    Your opinion

GW2 hype based on 1
    I don't understand, there isn't a hype from guild wars 1 because they are completely different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    GW1 isnt a very good game imo and from what I have seen myself and been told by many other players its not worth the time or money. I honestly dont understand the GW2 hype based on 1 but it might end up being a good game.
    You haven't played it yourself have you?

Guild Wars 1 is nothing like other RPG's, if you like the story of GW2 and you'd like to get to know it better. Go get it, it's worth the money. You've got atleast 1000+ hours of game filling doing everything you can do, and you'll get some bonusses.

Coming from someone who played the game over 5000 hours in 6 years .

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't personally recommend it. The game is completely different. If you don't mind different types of games it might be something you find fun, but I would recommend reading novels or the wiki for lore. The original game is an acquired taste. I personally didn't like it at all.

Yes I got all 4 games via steam. Works fine. Easy account linkage.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/ $30 seems reasonable but idk. Thats for the trilogy incase you dont click the link
    Ask yourself these questions:
    Am I bored with nothing to do in my free time?
    Am I a big lore fanatic?
    If I pay $30 can I still pay bills and rent?
    Do I want to have the HoM rewards?
    Am I okay if I don't finish a game before moving to the next? (might not be able to complete GW1 before GW2)
    Do I want to enjoy a great game?

If your answer is yes to multiple of these questions then don't delay give anet your money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    You haven't played it yourself have you?

Guild Wars 1 is nothing like other RPG's, if you like the story of GW2 and you'd like to get to know it better. Go get it, it's worth the money. You've got atleast 1000+ hours of game filling doing everything you can do, and you'll get some bonusses.

Coming from someone who played the game over 5000 hours in 6 years .
    I was thinking about re-installing GW. Its been years since Ive played it. I bought the game when the xpac, EotN came out. How do I get GW2 goodies from GW?!?! Im gonig to start playing it again tonight!!

Im confused as to how GW works though. I think I just stopped playing it and went back to WoW because i was getting wtfpwnd in PvP. How Good it he PvE in GW1?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I was thinking about re-installing GW. Its been years since Ive played it. I bought the game when the xpac, EotN came out. How do I get GW2 goodies from GW?!?! Im gonig to start playing it again tonight!!

Im confused as to how GW works though. I think I just stopped playing it and went back to WoW because i was getting wtfpwnd in PvP.
    Take a look at the other HoM thread that's on the front page. Lots of good advice in there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Take a look at the other HoM thread that's on the front page. Lots of good advice in there
    I will check that out. If I remember correctly, arent there only 5 man instances or something like that in PvE?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would highly recommend picking them up. All of the expacs of GW1 are REALLY solid. The class system they use is also super duper cool. Don't expect it to be anything like GW2, but appreciate it for what it is. The PVE is a little hard to follow in parts, and it's legitimately difficult in parts, too, but take a whack at it and you'll definitely enjoy it.

Deleted
    Yes, it's very special when it comes to MMOs.

For example, you don't get better gear past a certain point pretty early on in the game (You only get new armor if you find something that is better looking - Not because it's better).
    Also, you can only bring 8 skills with you at a time, which makes creating a good spec very important.
    The entire game is formatted for group play - You can play with AI-controlled heroes and henchmen - But it tends to be much easier with other people.
    All zones are instanced, and you can only meet other people in towns and outposts, which act as lobbies.

I personally love it - It's competing for "Best MMO I've played", the only reason I ended up playing more WoW is because there is less to do in GW, and what there is to do in the endgame mostly involves farming (There are still "Dungeons", though - A ton of these were added in EotN)

Deleted
    If you're interested in the lore then I'd say yes. If you want to know how similar systems work for GW2 then again yes. if you want hours and hours of gameplay to tie you over until GW2 then go for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhomaioi View Post
    Yes, it's very special when it comes to MMOs.

For example, you don't get better gear past a certain point pretty early on in the game (You only get new armor if you find something that is better looking - Not because it's better).
    Also, you can only bring 8 skills with you at a time, which makes creating a good spec very important.
    The entire game is formatted for group play - You can play with AI-controlled heroes and henchmen - But it tends to be much easier with other people.
    All zones are instanced, and you can only meet other people in towns and outposts, which act as lobbies.

I personally love it - It's competing for "Best MMO I've played", the only reason I ended up playing more WoW is because there is less to do in GW, and what there is to do in the endgame mostly involves farming (There are still "Dungeons", though - A ton of these were added in EotN)
    Yes, these were the amazing things about GW1. Well besides the farming part. That was terrible. I got my Necro/mesmer to level 20 and just sort of stopped there, but I truly did enjoy my time in the game. However, little things like the not being able to jump on command (always bothered me), a very linear road, and sometimes the AI was your only option if you wanted to do anything, made me get out of the game and go back to WoW. Actually I went from WoW to WAR, but that is a different story.

I tried the free trial again(I totally forgot my login key after not playing the game for like 3 years) and the game did not age well. The HoM stuff does not really interest me enough. The lore does, so I might read up a bit on that. If you ask me, unless you really want to get the HoM stuff and only want to see GW lore hands on, I'd say skip GW1 and hope you get into the beta. That is my personal advice.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!