Deleted

Post Student in need of help!

Hey,

I'm basically in the final year of my degree and need some people to help complete my survey.

It's looking at the effects of playing MMOs on a regular basis. My research looks at both positive and negative effects as I'm trying to contradict all the research that has been done previously which looks at MMOs in a negative way. My research is suggesting that playing these sorts of games can also impact positively on peoples lives. The survey provides more info.

The link to my survey is - kwiksurveys.com?s=ONNJLF_6dba3c86

I would be so grateful for any completed surveys.

Thanks
    Grace

15+ Year Old Account
    Finished, some of your questions are check boxes instead of circles.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I didn't even think anyone questioned the addictive nature of online games. The thrill of victory and loot has impacts on the brain through random reinforcement.

Some of these questions I really don't see the relevance. Safety and Physical environment. Personally, I absolutely neglect friends and exercise when I play games. I usually go through spurts of 6 months on 6 months off.

Usually go from at least 20 minutes of exercise a day to 0 roughly. MMO's are so addicting I even neglect CIGARETTE SMOKING. At work or school I got out for a smoke and I MILK IT. During a raid I'll take 5 puffs and throw it away....I never ever do that for anything.

Diet suffers for sure during long raiding sessions. Sometimes you eat food for it's convenience and "eatability" in front of a computer(soup for instance I find hard to eat while gaming) rather than based on its nutrition.

Personally my interactions with other people are always limited. I create the same bonds with people in RL as I do in games.

I got some things to do today but if you want to talk more leave a message/PM me....and I'd give you my real number.

I frequently talk about this with friends, who are all hardcore gamers(or were) and we're unanimous in our opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Done, hope it helps.

The best thing MMO's made me do...was stop using drugs. WoW was my anti drug for a long time because my RL friends were wastes.

Any video game is more or less a casual activity. If you have fun, and your responsibilities don't suffer it's fine.

I'm not gonna say it made my teamwork skillz +1. It's possible but I wouldn't know how to go about proving it.

Deleted
    Hey,

Thanks for taking time to complete the whole survey those who have!

The research isn't so much disputing the addictive/negative aspects of MMOs, it is just looking at the effects from the opposite perspective.

Thanks again

Grace

Filled it out for ya

Done, multiple questions are rephrased but pretty much repeats.

Deleted
    All done. Although the e-mails one the last page are different. One of them is @stu. and the other is .stu@. So if you're able to edit you might want to correct the wrong one...

Also this, my OCD demands satisfaction!

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Finished, some of your questions are check boxes instead of circles.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JustaBigBird View Post
    Done, multiple questions are rephrased but pretty much repeats.
    I assume they're meant to be there. That way you can search for those who are on auto pilot, they're sort of safety checks, so if someone says they are satisfied and strongly DISsatisfied about the same thing, you can sort of assume they're running on autopilot.

Deleted
    Thanks for that I hadn't noticed the email address mistake! As for the answer format, I can't change it unfortunately! I'm not sure what happened there.
    Your exactly right about the repeated questions, they're there to check for reliable results etc

Thanks again
    Grace

I answered the questions as if I was still playing WoW, during my peak years.

Deleted
    Done It was longer than most surveys about video games, but I liked the options and the questions were well-phrased.

Deleted
    Hey,

Thank you so much to everyone who has completed the survey so far.
    It really is a huge help!

Thanks
    Grace

Deleted
    Going to fill it in for you, but your topic is pretty bad.

My first piece of research was "The pathological effects of the Japanese school system". Your questions are also extremely biased in their phrasing and illicit an obvious response. Your "goal" is to prove wrong the idea that gaming is addictive but almost no legitimate peer review article states that. All good research on the subject simply prove that addictive personality types are likely to become addicted to online progressive gaming.

My suggestion is complete the piece but stop being so biased as it will greatly reduce the mark you'll obtain.

Deleted
    Hey,

Thanks for your comment but I don't think my research is bias at all.

I am simply looking at both positive and negative effects. I understand the majority of research focusses on the addictive nature however there has been quite a lot of points made regarding the positive impact on the lives of MMO players.

I am in no way dismissing the addictive nature, neither am I saying the research is wrong. I am just looking at this at the same time as looking at the positive effects, I am not focussing on addiction specifically, I am looking at effects on well-being in general.

As for the questions, they are taken from existing validated scales of online video game addiction and well-being and have been approved my ethics and research committees within my university.

I hope this makes more sense.
    Grace

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceMcDougall View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for your comment but I don't think my research is bias at all.

I am simply looking at both positive and negative effects. I understand the majority of research focusses on the addictive nature however there has been quite a lot of points made regarding the positive impact on the lives of MMO players.

I am in no way dismissing the addictive nature, neither am I saying the research is wrong. I am just looking at this at the same time as looking at the positive effects, I am not focussing on addiction specifically, I am looking at effects on well-being in general.

As for the questions, they are taken from existing validated scales of online video game addiction and well-being and have been approved my ethics and research committees within my university.

I hope this makes more sense.
    Grace
    I'm just giving friendly advice. Having been through the same process and seeing how these topics get marked, e.g. gaming, social media, popular media etc, there is a high chance of your work being biased/methodological problems etc etc.

All the best though and hope it works out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I'm just giving friendly advice. Having been through the same process and seeing how these topics get marked, e.g. gaming, social media, popular media etc, there is a high chance of your work being biased/methodological problems etc etc.

All the best though and hope it works out.
    Hey,

I understand where your coming from and I fully understand there may be a few methodological problems but that's the price you pay when researching a relatively new topic I guess.

I am lucky in some respects as the research department I am working with are very interested in the effects of the internet on well-being.

Thanks again for everyone who has taken the time to complete the survey so far. It really is a great help!
    Grace

Deleted
    /done

Many questions feel like duplicates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by naranha View Post
    /done

Many questions feel like duplicates.
    True that.

On topic: Quite a long survey but filled it. hope it helps

Done. Good luck with it