10+ Year Old Account

12fps on a 7950??

So I've recently built a new computer, and threw down some heavy cash on a Sapphire 7950 OC edition.
    About 1 out of every 10 times I load a game, WoW, SWTOR, Alien vs Predator,Skyrim, anything... the game runs like crap
    It's happening right now in WoW, I'm at a consistent 12 ..yes twelve.. frames per second. What the crap? No matter how
    many times I restart the game, it does not fix the problem. Only thing that works is a system reboot.

Now when this issue isn't happening, I enjoy WoW on Ultra at 60fps. Every other game runs smooth as silk too... until this bizarre issue pops up.
    I have no idea what causes it. I don't let my computer go into sleep or hibernate, or even turn off HD after hours of idle use. Only power saving feature I
    use is my monitor shuts down after an hour.
    Rest of my hadware is as follows.
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD 975 @ 3.7ghz
    Corsairs 8gb DDR1600
    WD 500gb 32mb cache hd.
    Win 7 64 bit, fully updated.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 06:54 PM ----------

I should also mention I have a Corsair 650 watt PSU.
    I don't think power is an issue as the 7950 uses little

Well, your CPU is not optimal, but it's certainly better than 12 FPS in WoW.

Have you updated your GPU drivers manually from their site? I don't recommend letting Windows Update do it.

Deleted
    Drivers perhaps?

Sounds like either a) overheating or b) software issue.

Run temperature monitor of both CPU and GPU while gaming and report back numbers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running the 12.2 pre-certified ATi drivers.
    GPUz reports my 7950 idles at 28C and under heavy load (like AvP or Skyrim) it never gets above 50C.
    My CPU idles around 30 and load at 40C

Blow out the fan on your video card

if it is locked at 12fps then i'd say a software issue, review your drivers and update as needed then report back here - ill do some googling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Blow out the fan on your video card
    Uh I just installed the video card two weeks ago, it's not even close to dusty yet. Also as temp readouts confirm, it's not heat. 28c idle is awesome. 50 under heavy load is still impressive imo.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    I'm running the 12.2 pre-certified ATi drivers.
    Go back to 12.1 then.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    if it is locked at 12fps then i'd say a software issue, review your drivers and update as needed then report back here - ill do some googling
    I have every driver as updated as possible. Again the ATi driver was released on the 16th 12.2 pre-certified. (guessing because of how new the 7000 line is, it doesnt have MS's stamp of approval yet)

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Go back to 12.1 then.
    Having a hard time finding the drivers ATi released for the 7900 line before the current 12.2. It was a beta drive I believe from the 25th that was only for the 7000s.

Hi,

I can give you few advice:

- install DirectX 9: <link>
    - update video drivers: <link>
    - turn off any unnecessary apps, eg: <link> startupmanager <dot> org
    - check your task scheluder for unnecessary tasks: <link>
    - check antivirus for active computer scans, disc defrag for active defragmentation task or any other software you use to clean up win7
    - update rest of your hardware drivers, eg. motherboard drivers

Good luck, I hope you work it out

I can't post links, if you want i can sent them to you by e-mail, just ask.

So I've recently built a new computer, and threw down some heavy cash on a Sapphire 7950 OC edition.
    About 1 out of every 10 times I load a game, WoW, SWTOR, Alien vs Predator,Skyrim, anything... the game runs like crap
    It's happening right now in WoW, I'm at a consistent 12 ..yes twelve.. frames per second. What the crap? No matter how
    many times I restart the game, it does not fix the problem. Only thing that works is a system reboot.

Now when this issue isn't happening, I enjoy WoW on Ultra at 60fps. Every other game runs smooth as silk too... until this bizarre issue pops up.
    I have no idea what causes it. I don't let my computer go into sleep or hibernate, or even turn off HD after hours of idle use. Only power saving feature I
    use is my monitor shuts down after an hour.
    Rest of my hadware is as follows.
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD 975 @ 3.7ghz
    Corsairs 8gb DDR1600
    WD 500gb 32mb cache hd.
    Win 7 64 bit, fully updated.
    Hey me and my friend had problems with this on our 7970's ( my problems came first then, I was tellign him about it and he chimed in about his findings)

This is what I (we) did; your mileage may vary.
    it up guru3d find the latest version of driversweeper i would provide you the link but im at work and figure you'd be better off with getting this info now than later.
    unistall catalyst controll center, msi afterburner, rivaturner, ati tools ( tool tray)
    run the sweeper and remove all your display driver... just display should be read out amd hd 79000 in the drop down..dont bother with chipset or anything else of the like
    then just comback into os and redownload the 12.3 catalyst from amd's site
    install
    you should see a clear up then still having issues dxdiag and post
    Only death my pay for life

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having a hard time finding the drivers ATi released for the 7900 line before the current 12.2. It was a beta drive I believe from the 25th that was only for the 7000s.
    What about the driver dvd that came with the card?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    What about the driver dvd that came with the card?
    Yea running that now =)
    Will report back if the problem pops up again. Hard to say right now since the computer had to reboot during drive rollback and reboots have fixed the problem in the past.

Deathwarder makes a good point, make sure all of the drivers from your old card have been removed, maybe they're interfering?