Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Probally athlete , because there are some sports that have an extreme mental and physical requirement to do on professional level. Dancing has this aswell , but i dont think that dancing is as destroying your body as eg running , skateboarding or in the rings

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Two words. Bill Buckner.

For those of you who are nerds and don't know a lick about anything other than WoW & spores, molds and fungi (bonus points to those who can name that reference). One error during the World Series basically ruined a guy's life. I can't think of a dancer that screwed up once... not because it hasn't happened, but because nobody cares.
    Don't confuse having a smaller set of fans per performance with not caring.

Limiting this to purely physical workload, both are pretty equal, though certain sports positions don't require as much athleticism. Dancers don't have to deal with rabid fans bases calling up sports talk radio ripping them should they have a few bad games in a row.
    No, they just get fired, and can't find new work.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Both can be very difficult, arguing which is more difficult is akin to arguing which would kill you faster, a minigun or an AK-47, you die in both scenario's.

People have the misconception that pro athletes like footballers, rugby players etc just turn up, kick/throw a ball around, get paid then go home, they don't take into account the waking up at 6am for a hard training session everyday, the regimental diet that is enforced, and the curfews that are put in place.

When i was 17 and left school, i was scouted by nottingham forest football team, i thought sweet yeah i made it big, happy days ahead with a footballers wage, little did i know how difficult it would turn out to be, i'm no longer a footballer as it lasted 2 years, but i'm now a personal trainer & my clients are anywhere from footballers, rugby players, dancers, to geoff down the road, the normal guy.

I see being a semi-professional athlete as the hardest thing i've had to do in my life thus far, until you've experienced it, you can't really pass judgement on something you know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoKronic View Post
    see how we're comparing apples to oranges. you cant compare two sports/athletes unless they play in the same sport.

a football player cant do a pirouette, and a dance cant take a tackle. this argument is pretty much invalid.
    Then why would even post the picture in the first place? By saying this ^^^ you just contradicted yourself? Or should I rephrase what I said, "If one of these 45lb dancers can take a hit from 300+ men every week for 10 years . . . then I would say they're pretty equal

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the professional dancers that I know are hard working girls putting themselves through college

I think we can end this thread by saying dancing is pointless. In the end the world would not care if dancing did not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Probally athlete , because there are some sports that have an extreme mental and physical requirement to do on professional level. Dancing has this aswell , but i dont think that dancing is as destroying your body as eg running , skateboarding or in the rings
    You might want to check on just how physically taxing it is to be a dancer, and the litany of debilitating injuries/conditions they 'retire' with.

There are some sports that compare well, and obviously some that don't. A 'professional' dancer - employed in say - a ballet company is in FAR better shape than say your average 300 pound linebacker

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Golfers are not athletes, bowlers are not athletes.
    2. The answer is dancers.

The fact is that a good dancer has to work ten times harder. They have to work hard to land a job every single time and usually never get the cushion of a multi million dollar contract. Every time I have seen a good dancer, I just think wow. That not only takes physical prowess, but art.

With sports the events are a lot more narrow. You have structures, rules, plays that you can get used to. You have to have high awareness of your surroundings, your team, your other team and the ball. Professional athletes go up against some of the best athletes in the world. Then again, dancers have to compete in much of the same way just to land a paycheck.

Honesty though, if you see first hand the training each go through it is an incredible thing. But from what I have seen, dancers almost always work harder and have more passion even faced with an ever changing and uncertain environment. Not to mention, due to rules and safety measures dancing tends to be a lot more dangerous believe it or not.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

" You have structures, rules, plays that you can get used to." That is SUCH A FAIL ARGUMENT. Do dancers not practice the same dance over and over? Please answer this PLEASE

" Not to mention, due to rules and safety measures dancing tends to be a lot more dangerous believe it or not." This made me LOL so much. Your ignorance is funny. Look at whats going on in the NFL right now with all these retired players. Most of them are trying to push for more protection due to problems they have to deal with now.
    Last edited by Razkul; 2012-02-24 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Dancer, if you look at the absolute, absolute best in their fields. I've yet to see any athlete compare to professionals in groups such as Cirque du Soleil.
    Seeing as how most of the Cirque casts are made up of gymnasts, yes you have.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the type of dance and the type of sport.

I played football from the time I was 7 until I finished college, but hell if I can stand on my toes like a ballerina.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Athletes include gymnasts, weightlifters, sprinters, marathon runners, sports players, swimmers, throwers (discuss, javelin, shot putt etc.), boxers and cyclists.
    Dancers include every type of dance.

It's obviously Athletes who have a harder job no matter what they do, you wouldn't think that footballers have it hard but they really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Razkul View Post
    I think we can end this thread by saying dancing is pointless. In the end the world would not care if dancing did not exist.
    By your own logic, the world would not care if sports did not exist either.

OT: Either way, this question is impossible to answer because it's too vague. Dancing and sports are not only each a large category into themselves, but each require different skillsets. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Have you even heard about Kobe Bryant's workout? It's 6 hours a day, 6 days a week during the offseason.

I'm not going to even mention what skill level, work ethic etc it took to even make it to the pro's, this was his workout IN the pros to get better

2 hours of running
    2 hours of basketball (He shoots about 1000 shots a day, maybe more)
    1 hour of cardio like boxing, jumprope
    1 hour of weight lifting

IDK, when you spend half of your waking hours training...just crazy.

I agree with this guy- they're both equally challenging so it doesn't really matter

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    You do realize that "pro athlete" also includes things like golfers, bowlers, handballers, etc, right?

Some sports are very hard on the body. Others...not so much.
    Are you trying to leave Football, Rugby, and Soccer players out of the debate? Otherwise I don't see your point.

Deleted
    Athlete. A dancer can make a living even if he/she is not really good. An athlete is either good or he's unemployed.

Deleted
    Come on guys, this thread is two years old

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Takanami View Post
    1. Golfers are not athletes, bowlers are not athletes.
    2. The answer is dancers.

The fact is that a good dancer has to work ten times harder. They have to work hard to land a job every single time and usually never get the cushion of a multi million dollar contract. Every time I have seen a good dancer, I just think wow. That not only takes physical prowess, but art.

With sports the events are a lot more narrow. You have structures, rules, plays that you can get used to. You have to have high awareness of your surroundings, your team, your other team and the ball. Professional athletes go up against some of the best athletes in the world. Then again, dancers have to compete in much of the same way just to land a paycheck.

Honesty though, if you see first hand the training each go through it is an incredible thing. But from what I have seen, dancers almost always work harder and have more passion even faced with an ever changing and uncertain environment. Not to mention, due to rules and safety measures dancing tends to be a lot more dangerous believe it or not.
    I don't know how a financial situation makes anything easier or harder on a physical level. Most athletes aren't guaranteed to a contract or make.a team. How you can tell me a grown man 200-300 pounds coming after you full speed pads or no pads depending on the sport is harder on the body than dancing is beyond crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Professional athletes have a very busy training schedule, a sometimes ridiculous travel schedule, and are typically required to meet certain standards of behaviour (they are often seen as a role model.) Professional athletes are under public scrutiny, so they are often caught up in media-fuelled drama.

I'm not saying being a professional dancer is easy; only that many of these constraints do not exist for them.

There's more to it than just the job itself.