Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    WvW heroes and don't even know what the fuck they're talking about. /sigh
    Talk like this makes me laugh. You're probably a r23 "pro" yourself who doesn't even know how the mechanics behind a bug work and then has to resort to petty insults to "prove" some sort of point.

You're trying to prove I'm wrong when I'm right.

rank means nothing but I'm r32 and have entered maybe 3 hot joins. I'll slam you right now using no utilities bro. D/D vs D/D best out of 5? If I win all 5 I get to fuck your mom, deal?

Let's leave peoples mothers out of this. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-07-30 at 05:10 PM.
    "I find this rain quite pleasant. It feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory..."

Oh look, we have an internet tough guy wanting to enter into an internet pissing contest

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I'll slam you right now using no utilities bro. D/D vs D/D best out of 5? If I win all 5 I get to fuck your mom, deal?

I like him, he's r32 thinks 1v1 is the epitome of skill, plays a bad build and talks about fucking my mom.

I'm probably a bad person for this but watching people make a fool of themselves makes me happy

Alright if you win you get to fuck my mom.
    "I find this rain quite pleasant. It feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory..."

Alright, what about this build? Seems to be semi-popular.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...9;9;9;9;4V6s5w

(Ignore the utilities since those change based on situation.)

I don't know WTF to do for runes though, regardless of build. Some people say Nightmare (not happening, not running TA for runes), some people say Undead, some people say 2 Krait/2 Centaur/2 Afflicted (I don't see how that helps with Torment though). Except for Sigils of Energy no one seems to agree on any other weapon upgrade and I still don't know what to put in the underwater weapons, not that I suppose it really matters but it's going to bug me. :P

Anyway, getting the gist of P/D is harder than I thought. Annoying thieves in WvW make it look so easy. ;_;

Torment isn't that important TBH, the build relies on getting loads of bleeds up and hiding while your enemy dies.

You lose most of the usefulness from undead runes since you use carrion (since you don't have "real" condi removal) instead of rabid so I'd personally go with the 2/2/2 setup.

You'll want one with energy for sure, the other one can be corruption(you need atleast one weapon with corruption tbh) and the last one would be agony for me.

It's the opposite TBH lane, P/D is very easy and due to that there's many ways of building (you can't really go wrong) so you can customize it to your own liking. The only thing you can't get around is 30points in shadow arts and 15(some say 20) in trickery.
    Comparing this to this you see that the first build relies more on C&D for stealth so you go for more initiative regeneration, additionally you get more HP and should play (very) defensive where you basically hide in stealth a lot. While stealthed you should dodge quite a bit to drop caltrops everywhere which keeps bleeds up in between your stealth attack bursts, basically you turn a defensive ability (dodging) into an offensive one. You also have to run Spider Venom since you don't have any other source of poison (and you want to keep it up as much as possible since it's very strong). I would change the heal skill to hide in the shadows though so that you get more condition removal and can run toughness gear (I prefer toughness over vitality), I'd personally also change the signet to Blinding Power.

The second build trades Spider Venom for another utility but gives up 10 traits (which in return give 10% condition duration). It also sacrifices initiative regeneration for more of a control build, instead of relying on stealth to watch them bleed you use stuns/control/range (normally people run this with basilisk venom instead of TG). Steal becomes a key skill and takes up a lot of traits, but you also gain 100 condition damage. I'd change this build a bit by changing Long Reach for thrill of the crime and swap out TG for BV, I'd probably also use Giver's weapons instead of Carrion since you have a lot of condition damage anyway and I'd use 4 mad king runes +2 centaur/krait/afflicted.

It really depends on what you find fun/comfortable. I prefer stealth over range so I'd go with the first build, this seems to be the least popular of the two given options though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    You'll want one with energy for sure, the other one can be corruption(you need atleast one weapon with corruption tbh) and the last one would be agony for me.
    What I've seen suggested is dual P/D with an energy rune on each set so that every 9 secs you get 50% of your energy back on swap. I've debated whether or not to put a corruption rune on a P/D set or put it on SB, since 10 minutes of running with a zerg I'd have 25 stacks. So, that leaves potentially 2 weapons free for sigils. One person suggested paralyzing +15% stun duration for the daze on steal ability and, yeah, I've seen agony mentioned a lot.

It's the opposite TBH lane, P/D is very easy and due to that there's many ways of building (you can't really go wrong) so you can customize it to your own liking.
    People seem to use Shadow Strike as much as they can in addition to everything else, and since that jumps you away from the target (too far for CnD) it throws me off every time, especially if I opened with a steal and don't have it available as a gap closer. Plus, I haven't gotten hardly any 1v1 experience, it's always at least 1v3 or 4 and I'm just not adept enough to handle that yet, I get all panicky. x_x

Also, it looks like I timed out on the intothemists page, that's not the build I meant to link, I'd updated it since then and I guess it didn't take. Now I can't get the site to load at all. -_-

It really depends on what you find fun/comfortable. I prefer stealth over range so I'd go with the first build, this seems to be the least popular of the two given options though.
    I'll be trying both. It's just that the 10/0/30/0/30 one seems to be all the rage now so I started with that while everyone's discussing it, which may have been a mistake if I can't get into some kind of groove with it.

Sadly, the only people who ever come after me are other thieves and they are the last class I want to fight. Not only due to being a novice, but they're just too damned annoying. I can't be arsed to spend 5+ minutes trying to land a hit on someone let alone kill them. It's also why I figured they're the best WvW class. :P

Back to thief. :P Would you still suggest 2x Afflicted/Krait/Centaur for the runes or are any of the new ones worth looking at, like Perplexity or Torment?

I figured I'd try Lazuli's suggested build now (after reverting back from a 'zerker build for the gauntlet).

Also, I could still use some advice on sigils. Mostly wondering if having a second set of p/d is a good idea with Sigils of Energy on the pistols and then I'm not sure what to put on the daggers.

Thief is my first char, and so far i love this proffesion. the only thing im wondering is, isnt there any way too control your "steal" ability? every time im stealing i need too read what im actually doing.

You mean what you steal? It comes with a bit of experience in that you'll know what each type of mob will generally give you on a steal.

I mostly use my steal for the teleport and stealth portion of it though.

Jep exatley. as a range pistol dps, it just sometimes feels weird and useless too use an ability from stealth instead of just keep dpsing the target.

Steal doesn't stealth unless you trait it...

Just look over this http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Steal to get an idea of what everything does, most mobs will give the same couple "special" skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Jep exatley. as a range pistol dps, it just sometimes feels weird and useless too use an ability from stealth instead of just keep dpsing the target.
    you got that wow mentality

your first ability morphs when you stealth with a pistol, a P/D build is built around teh bleed that it provides

this is depth. a lot of wow players just can't grasp the concept. most don't even know abilities in other games like gw2 morph. wow tried it but the engine had issues with it so we end up with 2 buttons for shit that new games use 1 button for

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Steal doesn't stealth unless you trait it...

Just look over this http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Steal to get an idea of what everything does, most mobs will give the same couple "special" skills.
    yeah, mine is traited that way, I find it invaluable on my thief

Yea I thought so but it's important to note that for newer players , I just use cnd to stealth though, since it's instant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by schicklgruber View Post

your first ability morphs when you stealth with a pistol, a P/D build is built around teh bleed that it provides

this is depth. a lot of wow players just can't grasp the concept. most don't even know abilities in other games like gw2 morph. wow tried it but the engine had issues with it so we end up with 2 buttons for shit that new games use 1 button for
    I'm happy there's a doctor in the forums ready to diagnose people with "wow". Who knows, it might be fatal.

On a more serious note, don't be a prick. This has nothing to do with wow, all sorts of people in all sorts of games occasionally need a little help with the reason for certain builds. You could do that your way, or you could do it politely and actually help someone figure out why they are using that build they took from the internet because someone said it's OP. Dumb can be cured.

Edit:
    I'm curently leveling as : Thief

I'm not 100% sure on the traits, because I've been out of the game for about 4 months, but it's about and around the above. I'm basically playing the blind game. Using Black Powder against more than 1 foe or fast hitting foes, Heartseeker to enter Stealth, Shadow Shot against single slow hitting mobs. I generally don't get hit. Currently level 54 or 55. The build I linked is 55.

I tried playing the bleed build and sure it might grant better dps, but I love just Shadow Shooting myself across the map :P
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-09-02 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schicklgruber View Post

I have played alof of wow, i admit that, but i can easily adapt too alo o different and challenge playstyles. the reason i asked here is that i just wanted too make sure i used this aility the correct way. sinc ei havent played a stealth class before.