Page 84 of 105 FirstFirst ...
34
74
82
83
84
85
86
94
... LastLast
  1. #1661
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Should just make steal a 1s disarm in PvP. Or if they don't feel like adding a whole new mechanic, 1s daze.

    RNG in PvP is really stupid. Engineer suffers from it, steal suffers from it as well. At the very least, do something like make the actual ability pools smaller. A maximum of 1 or 2 from each profession.
    That would make our class ability extremely boring, at least in my opinion. My idea is actually unique and seems to fit the thief class.

  2. #1662
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    That would make our class ability extremely boring, at least in my opinion. My idea is actually unique and seems to fit the thief class.
    But extremely random and overpowered.

    Which is counter-productive if ArenaNet wants this game to be taken seriously as an eSport and be picked up by actual leagues and sponsors.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  3. #1663
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    But extremely random and overpowered.

    Which is counter-productive if ArenaNet wants this game to be taken seriously as an eSport and be picked up by actual leagues and sponsors.
    It's not extremely random, you'll always lock someone out of an ability and it will always be one of their 2-5 abilities. If you know the class and what weapon they're using, you'll know what abilities you can get.

    I mentioned it may be overpowered which can always be tuned. If it's only 5 seconds (which I mentioned) it should be OP, especially since so many people think we're underpowered.

    It was just an idea anyway, it's not like it's going to happen.

    edit- Just wanted to add, you should never play a mesmer if you think randomness in pvp is terrible.

  4. #1664
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    It's not extremely random, you'll always lock someone out of an ability and it will always be one of their 2-5 abilities. If you know the class and what weapon they're using, you'll know what abilities you can get.

    I mentioned it may be overpowered which can always be tuned. If it's only 5 seconds (which I mentioned) it should be OP, especially since so many people think we're underpowered.

    It was just an idea anyway, it's not like it's going to happen.

    edit- Just wanted to add, you should never play a mesmer if you think randomness in pvp is terrible.
    Yeah, extremely random and having an extreme impact on the fight.

    You lock out the Staff Elementalist #5 ability. Okay, not a big deal. You lock out the Warrior shielld #4 (or even #5), suddenly a huge disadvantage and they might lose the fight because of RNG.

    This is worse than any other problem I might have with RNG, be it Mesmer, Engineer, the current form of steal, what have you. The impact is huge, and it's all down to luck. A random condition, not really. Swiftness or Protection? Well, that might influence the fight. Locked out of one important ability? You'll probably lose if the other person is good.

    This is the equivalent of getting 3 or 4 scorch crits on a non-shattered player as a fire mage. But even more likely. (3 scorch crits in a row is ~3%. Four is less than 1%. This would be 25%)

    If you shorten it to any decent amount, it'll become useless because daze is far superior. If you keep it as is, it's incredible overpowered and down to luck. Both of which are bad.

    As it is right now, steal's primary function is more or less it's secondary purpose. This is why the spell can't have any large degree of RNG to it.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-17 at 08:15 PM.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  5. #1665
    Stealing is an interesting mechanic.. but part of me wishes they'd stuck with the Assassin and gone with a 4 or 5 charge system that could spend them on mechanics evolved from the GW1 Assassin's Mark, Shadowstep and Shroud mechanics. My two cents. Still I don't feel bad having Steal. It has plenty of potential, though it does, in my mind, require some further tweaking. Which we'll likely see some of come this next BWE.

  6. #1666
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Yeah, extremely random and having an extreme impact on the fight.

    You lock out the Staff Elementalist #5 ability. Okay, not a big deal. You lock out the Warrior shielld #4 (or even #5), suddenly a huge disadvantage and they might lose the fight because of RNG.

    This is worse than any other problem I might have with RNG, be it Mesmer, Engineer, the current form of steal, what have you. The impact is huge, and it's all down to luck. A random condition, not really. Swiftness or Protection? Well, that might influence the fight. Locked out of one important ability? You'll probably lose if the other person is good.

    This is the equivalent of getting 3 or 4 scorch crits on a non-shattered player as a fire mage. But even more likely. (3 scorch crits in a row is ~3%. Four is less than 1%. This would be 25%)

    If you shorten it to any decent amount, it'll become useless because daze is far superior. If you keep it as is, it's incredible overpowered and down to luck. Both of which are bad.

    As it is right now, steal's primary function is more or less it's secondary purpose. This is why the spell can't have any large degree of RNG to it.
    I honestly think you're exaggerating quite a bit here. It would affect one ability from one player for 5 seconds once maybe 30-60 seconds (whatever the CD is). Plus it's just an idea I came up with to add something a little more fun to our class ability.

  7. #1667
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    I honestly think you're exaggerating quite a bit here. It would affect one ability from one player for 5 seconds once maybe 30-60 seconds (whatever the CD is). Plus it's just an idea I came up with to add something a little more fun to our class ability.
    When you only have five abilities, removing one has a much larger impact than you think.

    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  8. #1668
    Yes but it will only be for a few seconds. If 5 seconds is too much, they could always lower it you know. It seems like you just want to tear it apart because you don't like the idea of randomness.

  9. #1669
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Yes but it will only be for a few seconds. If 5 seconds is too much, they could always lower it you know. It seems like you just want to tear it apart because you don't like the idea of randomness.
    I've already explained why lowering it is redundant. I'm fine with the idea of randomness. There's a trade-off that needs to be made, however, and that is with the impact. You can not have high luck, high impact.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-17 at 10:02 PM.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  10. #1670
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I've already explained why lowering it is redundant. I'm fine with the idea of randomness. There's a trade-off that needs to be made, however, and that is with the impact. You can not have high luck, high impact.
    Thanks for implementing it into the game and testing all the possibilities.

  11. #1671
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Thanks for implementing it into the game and testing all the possibilities.
    I guess this means I win.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  12. #1672
    Nope, but we both know that without testing there's no way to tell if it would be OP. You just want to think you're right because you believe you are. I think it sounds fun, you don't. That's all there is to it really.

    If you feel like you've won, good for you. I hope you're happy.

  13. #1673
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Nope, but we both know that without testing there's no way to tell if it would be OP. You just want to think you're right because you believe you are. I think it sounds fun, you don't. That's all there is to it really.

    If you feel like you've won, good for you. I hope you're happy.
    Do you not possess the capacity to read and comprehend what I've said?
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  14. #1674
    Yes actually, I just don't agree with all of your assumptions. There's no need to get nasty now.

  15. #1675
    lol guys I think we need to chill a bit. OT I think the steal ability needs work. I know when I was playing my Thief I got to the point where the action was so intense that I had little time to look down and see what item I had stolen, let alone have the reaction time to use it when needed. I know some of you say that this will change the more you play the game, but at the same time doesn't that seem like once people learn how to play the class correctly then the ability will be overpowered?

    The steal mechanic is tough to balance because, just like any ability, you have to make sure it can be used by noobs, as well as pros. Right now new players are just clicking it right as they steal it, which is not how it is intended. Or they are forgetting the click it at all. They have a lot of work to do with Steal and I honestly think it will be completely different a year from now. Just my 2 cents.

  16. #1676
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    lol guys I think we need to chill a bit. OT I think the steal ability needs work. I know when I was playing my Thief I got to the point where the action was so intense that I had little time to look down and see what item I had stolen
    this is why theres a list of useful stuff. all the non impressive steal just memorize
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  17. #1677
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Idk why all you thieves hate steal/think it's underpowered/broken, i personally got a kick out of it and i will stand by my absolute LOVE of relying on randomness, why? Because it's chaotic and makes you unpredictable!! And don't even give me that shit of "Oh well even the thief wont know what they're going to do!" because all that says is that you're god awful at coming up with any strat on the fly and would lose to anyone who swaps strategy halfway through a battle...

    PS: Rifle stolen from eng/warrior is like my favorite item to steal in pvp!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  18. #1678
    Thieves are devilish in pvp with all their leave combat moves

  19. #1679
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Idk why all you thieves hate steal/think it's underpowered/broken, i personally got a kick out of it and i will stand by my absolute LOVE of relying on randomness, why? Because it's chaotic and makes you unpredictable!! And don't even give me that shit of "Oh well even the thief wont know what they're going to do!" because all that says is that you're god awful at coming up with any strat on the fly and would lose to anyone who swaps strategy halfway through a battle...

    PS: Rifle stolen from eng/warrior is like my favorite item to steal in pvp!
    Not really about the randomness for me, so much as it doesn't really seem to have any strategy to it to begin with, and doesn't really have all that much power to it, in my experience.

    I would use Steal just because I had nothing else to do besides auto-attack, and then if the mob wasn't already near-death, I'd instantly blow it, not caring what happens.

    I should care what happens, but I don't.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  20. #1680
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    for those that didnt realize it, the downed 2 skill is now ground targeted
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •