in process of updating this post to be less-shitty...give me a while
I want this thread to be a respectable place to hold discussion about GW2 thieves. so im going to try to dig up previous good conversations and post links to them. after that i would like any posts anyone finds useful or feels would be useful to link to the OP to be asked to be linked. just PM me if a discussion is good and ill edit in in
TEMP: please help scan through the thread... i really dont want to dig through 74 pages
also... try to focus on serious talk. if this thread becomes "lol you look up stuff on MMO champ? you bad" then I'm going to destroy you all...slowly... by making you bleed out through where your toenails used to be.
You have been warned.
Stuff you should probably know:
Initiative regens at a rate of 1 init every 1.67 seconds
Breaking stealth gives you "revealed" for 3 seconds preventing further stealth
The air burst on shortbow will shoot out farther if the projectile is high up and clump more together if low to the ground, useful for hitting the same target 3 times
Relatively useful discussions/posts to read:
Good example of using secondary weapons to set up combos which I've been trying to preach
Builds that don't focus on backstab
Relatively useful videos to watch:
tips on dodging the shit out of warriors (A/Sh;GS), (more)
Relatively useful steals that you should probably memorize:
Throw Gunk: creates an ethereal field.. o yea it also inflicts a random condition
/ Blinding Tuft/Throw Feathers: blinds enemies and stealths you. use it for stealth skills. they are awesome. this is pretty much the default steal item. You will find this a lot.
Eat Egg: it heals you. more importantly it restores 10 of your initiative. you get the most gain when you use it at 0-1 init since it has a 1 sec cast time
Consume ectoplasm: it gives you 1 stack of all boons. can be saved for when you need to take a hit or two since it will give you both aegis and protection along with regen. Use it BEFORE you're in deep shit
Relatively useful combos you should memorize:
- WATER: always try to finish a combo on water. it always heals. Whirls like death blossom and dagger storm will heal your buddies, leaps like heartseeker will heal yourself
- SMOKE: shooting any projectile will blind. if you head shot through it you will block up to 2 attacks, the daze will interrupt and the blind will stop the next attack. leap onto it to stealth yourself and follow up with a stealth move (heartseeker then backstab)
- ETHEREAL: Leap to give chaos armor to self to punish fast attackers. Projectiles (unload is good for this) will stack confusion to punish things attacking your buddies.
- LIGHT: since you have no cooldown on your skills it can be better for a thief to activate light combos. leaping will give retaliation. if your group is condition stacked try to whirl
- DARK: projectiles will give you life steal. if you're running pistol pistol drop shadow refuge and sneak attack then unload through it for copious amounts of heals. make sure you'll be able to do the unload once you come out from sneak attacking since refuge doesnt last long
- POISON: shortbow thieves can blast their poison fields, it helps to be close to it.
- FIRE: leaps will give you a sexy fire shield as per the elementalist skill. Shortbow's blast is easily spam able to stack might even more
- LIGHTNING: you can leap into this to daze your opponent giving a dagger mainhand additional control
Units of range in GW2 is in inches. problem is its usually easier to see the world in...shall we say... larger increments.
so he's a few nifty ranges and their conversions...
Range Feet Yards Meters 130 10.83 ft 3.61 yd 3.30 m 450 37.5 ft 12.5 yd 11.43 m 600 50 ft 16.67 yd 15.24 m 900 75 ft 25 yd 22.87 m 1200 100 ft 33.33 yd 30.49 m
Good to know damage formulas:
Here's the known condition damage formulae
Burning: (4 * Level) + (0.25 * Condition Damage) per second
Poison: Level + (0.1 * Condition Damage) per second
Bleeding: 2.5 + (0.5 * Level) + (.05 *Condition Damage) per stack per second
Confusion: 25 + (0.5 * Level) + (0.075 * Condition Damage) per stack per skill use
At level 80 that translates to...
Lvl 80 +0 +10 (trait) +35 (might) +100(10 traits) +1434 (max) Burning 320 322.5(+2.5) 328.75(+8.75) 345(+25) 678.5(+358.5) Poison 80 81(+1) 83.5(+3.5) 90(+10) 223.4(+143.4) Bleeding(per stack) 42.5 43(+.5) 44.25(+1.75) 47.5(+5) 114.2(+71.7) Confusion (per stack) 65 65.75(+.75) 67.625(+2.625) 72.5(+7.5) 172.55(+107.55)
Unusable underwater skills (Glub glub glub...)
you cant use these underwater. it sucks.
for our discussions you can use these abbreviations for weapons
D - Dagger
P - Pistol
S - Sword
Sb or Sbow - Short bow
Lb or Lbow - long bow
A - Axe
Sc - Scepter
F - Focus
T - Torch
WH - Warhorn
GS - Great Sword
H - Hammer
Sf - Staff
R - Rifle
HG - harpoon gun
Sp/Sr - Spear
Tr - Trident
X - any weapon in this slot
/ - used to denote dual wield configurations, the weapon on the left is the MH and OH is the right example S/P would be sword pistol
; - used to denote a second weapon set. example S/P;D/D means sword pistol and dagger dagger
Skill icons from http://wiki.guildwars2.com We love the wiki, love it back, help support it and update it or baby asura WILL Steal your underpants