Page 15 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, since I have spent my last 4 hours reading and watching everything about GW2, I figure I might as well be apart of this thread. Also I cant begin to say how excited I am about the Thief in GW2 and how much the game has changed from the First GW.

My thief focuses on Crit, in and out of stealth, and mainly using signets. I cant post a link to my build yet =/
    Sadly we don't know more about Trickery or Acrobatics but I feel for a thief to do the most damage neither of those cant be too focused in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xNinjaKillx View Post
    Okay, since I have spent my last 4 hours reading and watching everything about GW2, I figure I might as well be apart of this thread. Also I cant begin to say how excited I am about the Thief in GW2 and how much the game has changed from the First GW.

My thief focuses on Crit, in and out of stealth, and mainly using signets. I cant post a link to my build yet =/
    Sadly we don't know more about Trickery or Acrobatics but I feel for a thief to do the most damage neither of those cant be too focused in.
    "Most damage" isn't going to be your only concern. You'll also want to build yourself for staying alive, for controlling the enemy, and providing support to your team.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    "Most damage" isn't going to be your only concern. You'll also want to build yourself for staying alive, for controlling the enemy, and providing support to your team.
    I do. I guess I didn't go in to detail because I'm trying to link my build but...

gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3c32g0fn7vmsmvn3i0fuk50878q8t8u9296

You can see that I hit all of those points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yeah, that's why I can't understand some of the posts here (not in this thread particularly) that say "omfg if you're choosing XXX weapon set, you MUST HAVE YYY trait and ZZZ trait!" I know some traits favor some builds over others, but that's the beauty of GW2's trait system.

Also, you never want to limit yourself to "just damage" or "just support" or you'll gimp yourself I think. But I might be wrong, not sure (no Beta yet).

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Yeah, that's why I can't understand some of the posts here (not in this thread particularly) that say "omfg if you're choosing XXX weapon set, you MUST HAVE YYY trait and ZZZ trait!" I know some traits favor some builds over others, but that's the beauty of GW2's trait system.

Also, you never want to limit yourself to "just damage" or "just support" or you'll gimp yourself I think. But I might be wrong, not sure (no Beta yet).
    I suppose, but then again we're talking about the thief. Sure you have some support skills but I think it goes with out saying, that the thief needs to be able to kill.
    Last edited by xNinjaKillx; 2012-03-09 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I finally got to work on my Thief build after my internet decided to go down for 2 days. The more i read, the harder it is for me to decide which profession I want to do first. It is currently tied between a Necromancer and a Thief.

Here is my thief build. I like the way the signets work, and I think that with the traits i selected that this build will do well. at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

The more i read, the harder it is for me to decide which profession I want to do first. It is currently tied between a Necromancer and a Thief.
    im kinda in the same situation.i cant decide between mesmer or thief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    i guess one way to put it is that mesmers manipulate light (like a cloaking device) while thieves manipulate darkness (Shadow refuge and shadow stepping) other than that most things are fairly mundane, scorp wire, venoms, the maneuvers. remember that the majority of "thieves", that is assassins, mercenaries, bandits, pirates, thieves, thugs, and other scoundrels probably dont have much magical training, considering shadow stepping as a supernatural, perhaps spiritual, ability means that more "untrained" people can utilize it
    I think since we're supposed to "special" heroes in the GW universe, player thieves are less mundane than others. We take the time to learn shadowy magic more than other thieves do. Plus if you're a human you get to be blessed by a god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I think since we're supposed to "special" heroes in the GW universe, player thieves are less mundane than others. We take the time to learn shadowy magic more than other thieves do. Plus if you're a human you get to be blessed by a god.
    As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any divine force behind shadow stepping its more of manipulating what's already there the only god with a portfolio matching it would be Lysaa but I think it's more of a trick passed down by assassins
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    To me, Shadowstep is just a very, very fast movement by someone agile enough. No magic, just something that's trained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Less theorycrafting!

Wait for the Beta, if you get in, and then judge it.
    I don't see how that's theory crafting. It WILL be a pain in the ass for melee thieves during situations where aoe is needed if they lack aoe to begin with. I suppose they could use traps, but it would be a half assed form of aoe. Unless they've recently made leaping deathblossom more aoe oriented.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-03-10 at 02:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I don't see how that's theory crafting. It WILL be a pain in the ass for melee thieves during situations where aoe is needed if they lack aoe to begin with. I suppose they could use traps, but it would be a half assed form of aoe. Unless they've recently made leaping deathblossom more aoe oriented.
    I don't think thieves will really need the AoE. Not everybody has to be perfectly capable of every job, relatively speaking. At the very least, I'm gonna build my thief specifically for picking off one key target at a time, even if I have to whip out dual pistols to do it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Looks like the Sword Stealth Skill is on the Wiki:

wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unknow

Not sure where it's from, though - no citations.

Has anyone seen a video of a melee Asura thief? I've only seen Asura thieves using a bow or pistols. I really wanna see melee Asura animations.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikram View Post
    Has anyone seen a video of a melee Asura thief? I've only seen Asura thieves using a bow or pistols. I really wanna see melee Asura animations.
    No I haven't. I'm already committed in to making a thief, but I'm not sure what class, its between Asura, Female Human, or Sylvari.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikram View Post
    i havent seen much melee thief videos in general.but meh,ive always love the rogue types in other mmorpgs and they seem pretty cool so ill probably make one anyway

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    i havent seen much melee thief videos in general.but meh,ive always love the rogue types in other mmorpgs and they seem pretty cool so ill probably make one anyway
    Yup, I'm 100% sure I'll be rolling a thief, but i haven't decided what race yet. I saw a vid of an Asura guardian, and I was truly blown away by their animations. Anet really outdid themselves with Asuras. I'm between male asura, human or charr.

I normally play Warriors but I think I'll be going thief on this game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmithusacom View Post
    I normally play Warriors but I think I'll be going thief on this game
    After watching the invisibility / stealth mechanics in action, my main is going to be a thief or mesmer for sure. Playing with the calculator is great fun .. especially gimmicky builds that can sustain stealth seemingly forever.

gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3c32g07nmrms7sn3i00up5a8k8t8u969d9m <-- Stay in stealth forever as a thief spamming Cloak and Dagger

gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3gb9g0kkl4l2l7la70afpf5bvc5cicjcre5 <-- Stay in stealth forever as a mesmer until your "The Prestige" is ready again

Being slippery enough to never give anyone the satisfaction of putting me down turned out to be my biggest satisfaction in MMO's. Haha.