Page 78 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster Spirit View Post
    Dodge rolling does not break stealth.

Whiffing a Backstab no longer breaks stealth. It was pretty frustrating when you were on top of someone and didn't get the hit registration on a Backstab only to be revealed for whiffing. At least now you get to try again.

It didn't seem to me that damage revealed me from stealth. I would often drop Shadow Refuge and people mashing buttons wouldn't reveal me even if they managed to swipe me. The problem I had with Stealth is that it does not mechanically drop targeting. If a Ranger sends those birds out and you go into stealth, you've already been targeted by the aimbot and you're still going to get hit. Same thing applies with any channeled skill such as Rapid Fire, Thief Unload, or Necro Rending Claws.

It's a mechanics issue where Stealthing does not break channeling or essentially "drop targeting."
    Well actually... the birds are more of a DOT and less of a channel, so it'd be like me applying bleed to you and then you stealthing you're still gettin hit because the ability has already been applied.

The REAL question is do the birds still hit you IE the birds are visibly swooping down and striking where you are? Or are they invisible with you? I didn't get to test it out at all in BWE2 but i know in BWE1 the birds would pretty much put a giant beacon on the target and be like "YO, he's right there!! His fancy stealthing trix wont save you now!!"

And when i used Blinding Tuft/Feathers as my ranger on someone channeling me it dropped me into stealth and flat out dropped my target, interrupting their channel. Now that could be because of the blind... but i'm not 100% sure..
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are ya sure? I could've sworn dodging broke my stealth. :S

Maybe it was just the timing of the dodge coinciding with my stealth ending.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    you wont break stealth but they can see you. youll still have access to stealth skills
    No, if a thief misses you ARE NOT REVEALED. What players WILL see though if they are actually observant is the flashy painterly animations of the backstab, IE you use backstab and miss, if i'm not paying attention/my camera was positoned poorly it doesn't matter, i see nothing, but if i were positioning my camera well or you tried to backstab a friend of mine that was in my vision i'd see a big paintbrushy streak where you are and can then proceed to unload in that direction.

In short, no you're not revealed from stealth and if you were to dodge roll or something after the miss no one would know where you are, BUT you do kinda give a hint to WHERE you are.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Are ya sure? I could've sworn dodging broke my stealth. :S

Maybe it was just the timing of the dodge coinciding with my stealth ending.
    Unless ranger stealth is different from thief stealth (i highly doubt it especially since i gain stealth using a clone of a move you guys have) dodge rolling doesn't break stealth.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember Rangers having stealth. How was this achieved? :O!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    No, if a thief misses you ARE NOT REVEALED. What players WILL see though if they are actually observant is the flashy painterly animations of the backstab, IE you use backstab and miss, if i'm not paying attention/my camera was positoned poorly it doesn't matter, i see nothing, but if i were positioning my camera well or you tried to backstab a friend of mine that was in my vision i'd see a big paintbrushy streak where you are and can then proceed to unload in that direction.

In short, no you're not revealed from stealth and if you were to dodge roll or something after the miss no one would know where you are, BUT you do kinda give a hint to WHERE you are.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 11:25 AM ----------

Unless ranger stealth is different from thief stealth (i highly doubt it especially since i gain stealth using a clone of a move you guys have) dodge rolling doesn't break stealth.
    damage, fool
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember Rangers having stealth. How was this achieved? :O!
    Forage is how i did it, there's also Hiding in Plain Site or something like that but i never actually -used- that trait...

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 12:39 PM ----------

damage, fool
    What about damage?

Deleted
    Well actually... the birds are more of a DOT and less of a channel, so it'd be like me applying bleed to you and then you stealthing you're still gettin hit because the ability has already been applied.
    Yes ur right there but this isn't the problem i had coz i could have sworn i was already been stealthed for some time before those birds hit me. It seemed more like if the ranger had me targeted before i went to stealth, he could hit me with those birds. Probably wasnt the case but it sure felt like that and I'd wanna have a rangers opinion on that1.

The REAL question is do the birds still hit you IE the birds are visibly swooping down and striking where you are? Or are they invisible with you? I didn't get to test it out at all in BWE2 but i know in BWE1 the birds would pretty much put a giant beacon on the target and be like "YO, he's right there!! His fancy stealthing trix wont save you now!!"
    So the birds are visible to others but the thief isnt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Forage is how i did it
    Ahaaaa.... so through a pet, you get access to the Thief profession mechanic.

Yet another -1 to my opinion of Steal. :|

Ahaaaa.... so through a pet, you get access to the Thief profession mechanic.

Yet another -1 to my opinion of Steal. :|
    Steal doesn't stealth you unless you trait for it.

Steal is just lackluster. The stuff you can steal can be convenient, but the skill is unreliable. It's based around what class you're stealing from as well as a 50/50 on what you actually get.

It's an okay gap closer, but it should be more than just another gap closer.

There only way you get anything out of stealing is if you trait for it. Whether that be gaining Initiative, Stealth, apply Poison, etc. It's unappealing by itself. If I'm traited to gain Initiative from Steal, I'm not going to Steal for the sake of using the skill. I'm using it because it gives me Initiative back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steal doesn't stealth you unless you trait for it.
    You're misinterpreting what I said quite heavily. The Thief profession mechanic is not stealth, it's Steal. Forage = Steal.

You're misinterpreting what I said quite heavily. The Thief profession mechanic is not stealth, it's Steal. Forage = Steal.
    I was under the impression the Thief profession mechanic was Initiative, not Steal.

I was under the impression the Thief profession mechanic was Initiative, not Steal.
    I was under the impression that it was both actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    the thief mechanic is init, steal, stealth, dual skills...

you know what? the thief mechanic is being a thief

/clap ground breaking find we had here today folks
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    the thief mechanic is init, steal, stealth, dual skills...
    Profession mechanics: Burst skill, attunement, toolbelt skills, death shroud, steal, virtues, shatters, pet

10+ Year Old Account
    Profession mechanics: Burst skill, attunement, toolbelt skills, death shroud, steal, virtues, shatters, pet
    but no one else has init... stealth abilities... dual skills..

ok let me spell it out

who cares what is considered a "profession mechanic?"
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by L E K R View Post
    Yes ur right there but this isn't the problem i had coz i could have sworn i was already been stealthed for some time before those birds hit me. It seemed more like if the ranger had me targeted before i went to stealth, he could hit me with those birds. Probably wasnt the case but it sure felt like that and I'd wanna have a rangers opinion on that1.

So the birds are visible to others but the thief isnt?
    In BWE1 yes, the birds were visible to everyone, however i'm not sure if this still works that way i know i submitted it as a "bug" and didn't hear whether it was actually a bug or if it was working as intended...

And for the birds when he casts it nothing happens for like 2-3 seconds and then they all fly in and start doing their damage, this happened like every time i used it BWE1, it was NOT due to latency or FPS i checked it repeatedly.

I found it weird when i was in BWE2 sPvP and there was that map ( forest map where you kill champ NPCs ) and they said that Thieves are stupid and weak in PvP and they don't belong there ( My score that game was 285, higher by almost a double from the runner up ) It was funny 'cause even my own team said that thieves are weak. And then we played like 4 more matches and a thief always was 1st ( either me or one other guy ) and we won all the matches. They haven't said a bad word when they saw that.

I have a screenshot ( my 1st sPvP game that BWE if you want to see it. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually Steal > Forage, forage will have the pet dig up an item (out of a pool of 3, each pig has a different pool consisting of one rare item and 2 common ones) and i have to go over and pick up the item to use it. In addition an ally can pick it up and waste it (omg you fucking MM necros i'm looking at YOU!!). However, enemies can NOT use it, and the item doesn't respawn in the course of 30 minutes so i'm assuming it'll stay there until used... And when i pick it up i lose all weapon skills until i use the item or drop it again.

Actually Steal > Forage, forage will have the pet dig up an item (out of a pool of 3, each pig has a different pool consisting of one rare item and 2 common ones) and i have to go over and pick up the item to use it. In addition an ally can pick it up and waste it (omg you fucking MM necros i'm looking at YOU!!). However, enemies can NOT use it, and the item doesn't respawn in the course of 30 minutes so i'm assuming it'll stay there until used... And when i pick it up i lose all weapon skills until i use the item or drop it again.
    The way i use steal is that I engage the fight with Steal and USE it instantly ( USE OF THE STEAL ABILITY IS ALWAYS GOOD NO MATTER WHAT IT DOES ) and i am close in combat with my enemy, used my steal ability ( dmg or some boons on my self { expect when i see that egg, i burst down my abilities and then use the egg } ) the cooldown is counting down and i am in a much better position than my enemy.

I use sword/pistol - dagger/dagger ( never EVER leaving close combat because of the great gap closers, a lot of stealth abilities, daze and stun )

Quote Originally Posted by Luciank255 View Post
    I found it weird when i was in BWE2 sPvP and there was that map ( forest map where you kill champ NPCs ) and they said that Thieves are stupid and weak in PvP and they don't belong there ( My score that game was 285, higher by almost a double from the runner up ) It was funny 'cause even my own team said that thieves are weak. And then we played like 4 more matches and a thief always was 1st ( either me or one other guy ) and we won all the matches. They haven't said a bad word when they saw that.

I have a screenshot ( my 1st sPvP game that BWE if you want to see it. )
    All depends on traits and the runes on gear. I know BWE1 I went just stupid survival, for the LOLs. I runed up protection/vitality and had traited almost fully Acrobatics and Shadow Arts and was using sword/dagger and shortbow. Suffice to say I was nigh unkillable and could escape any situation. I'll admit it was fun, although my dmg was just awful at range (not bad in melee). In BWE2 I went the other way, using sword/dagger and double pistol. I was really pushing out some serious dmg in sPvP but I did feel pretty squishy. Both weekends I scored fairly well in the end (I wasn't first, but I was usually 2nd or 3rd). I did have a harder time soloing the NPC bosses in the forest map on BWE2 with a pure dmg makeup.

I still highly enjoy the survival makeup for WvW though, essentially playing a support thief that is hard to kill. Using smokescreens and smokebombs to avoid dmg for the group and traps as a form of semi flank protection.

Can't wait to see BWE3 thief changes (if any) and of course when everything goes live...