The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really i thought 25/30/0/0/15 was pretty much the best p/p setup ill have to try it out. Also why Valk and not beserker. I currently have 2k+ precision along with 2k+ power. Is that much precision overkill for a pistol/pistol set up?
    Last edited by jermo22; 2012-09-27 at 06:19 PM.

Not really, but you're going to die. If you have a lot of vitality from the valkyrie and the acrobatics you can regen a lot more health with your sigil and thus endure more. And trickery 20 is too awesome party support to pass up. Pistols are weak and need more power but the poeer traits are awful for them. With acrobatics you gain an extra unload every roughly 15 seconds. The initiative on crit trait is awesome for them and so is the cripple for soloing. You can also switch your 2nd mayor trickery slot to pistol bounce shot.

Deleted
    Just got to eighty and now i can't decide which gear i should buy for dungeons, or even strategy. While leveling up i was always spamming death blossom which worked wonders, i hear its not recommended it dungeons. So can anyone point me into the right direction? :/

Quote Originally Posted by HakunaMatata View Post
    Just got to eighty and now i can't decide which gear i should buy for dungeons, or even strategy. While leveling up i was always spamming death blossom which worked wonders, i hear its not recommended it dungeons. So can anyone point me into the right direction? :/
    Why wouldn't it be? You just have to know not to go glass cannon and you'll br fine in dungeons. Carrion and Crysochola gear is the way to go. You'll rarely be critting so use on-swap sigils and maybe +10% bleeding duration.

For traits you want extra initiative (15 trickery 20 acrobatics at least), then whatever you want to accomodate. 15 power is quite good for defense because of Weakness on poison.

For skill slots, group support. The allmighty Shadow Refuge, Shadowstep, Ambush, Smoke Screen and Smoke Bomb are all great choices. Signet of shadows is a bit more limiting but still great. Dagger storm does a lot more damage than Thieves guild and is AoE, but the thieves have a lot of blinds and disables. Gives more defense and control.

For other weapon sets, since you'll mostly want to be in melee range to Blossom as often as you can, Pistol/Pistol can help stack some extra bleeds from range as well as giving you access to daze and blind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HakunaMatata View Post
    Sub death blossom for cluster bomb (shortbow). Just make sure you activate your cluster bomb before it touches the ground to get 3 stacks of bleeds (I believe raw damage goes up too, never did the math though). You can spam it all day if you put points into Trickery.

I have found that P/D is superior to P/P even as a pure ranged player. Moreover; what surprised me is even if you want to spec P/P do not invest any points in the entire trait line that has Pistol buffing traits. That trait line is the second from the top and its called Critical Strike just avoid it and you will notice a substantial improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    having trouble at level 22 using this setup:
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...Lv0onLv9MaV9Mz
    armors are a mixture of +toughness and + precision.

the problem is I am always under-leveled for the zone i`m in and the mobs hit me too hard(2-3 bleeds on me and I`m history). If the mobs are same level as I am, then I have no trouble killing 1 maybe 2. What do you guys think I`m doing wrong?

maybe power / crit is not the way to go while leveling? or maybe I should go to other zones in order to out-level content?

10+ Year Old Account
    If malice isn't enough to keep you up use his
    Use black powder to make a smoke field to fight in. You can hs thru it to stealth
    Dodge really big attacks sig agi will give you more dodges

What exactly is slaughtering you usually just need to learn how they attack
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    having trouble at level 22 using this setup:
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...Lv0onLv9MaV9Mz
    armors are a mixture of +toughness and + precision.

the problem is I am always under-leveled for the zone i`m in and the mobs hit me too hard(2-3 bleeds on me and I`m history). If the mobs are same level as I am, then I have no trouble killing 1 maybe 2. What do you guys think I`m doing wrong?

maybe power / crit is not the way to go while leveling? or maybe I should go to other zones in order to out-level content?
    Go for vitality instead of toughness. Toughness does not mitigate condition damage, so all that toughness is going to waste if something stacks conditions on you. I personally like the vitality tree better anyway.

Sharing a vid and build I found online and now playing, its fun:

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...vMx0GG0mRboscR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    What exactly is slaughtering you
    usually any mobs that use bleeds / burns / poisons, I can`t avoid them with black powder. But as suggested I will switch from toughness to Vit when I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    usually any mobs that use bleeds / burns / poisons, I can`t avoid them with black powder. But as suggested I will switch from toughness to Vit when I can.
    When you get 10 sa take the remove condition on stealth trait

In the mean time use hide in shadows it removes bleed burn poison

Remember that in gw2 you should never "lock" your builds. Always be mindful of what skills you can switch out for different situations
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    is the "remove 1 condition every 3s" useful? i think it willo remove just one condition (will it remove bleed if it has 5 stacks?) since stealth lasts just 2-3s
    and second
    a bleed focused build maybe 2xpistols / 2xdaggers would be slower in killing stuff? but maybe safer? has anyone tried?

10+ Year Old Account
    is the "remove 1 condition every 3s" useful? i think it willo remove just one condition (will it remove bleed if it has 5 stacks?) since stealth lasts just 2-3s
    and second
    a bleed focused build maybe 2xpistols / 2xdaggers would be slower in killing stuff? but maybe safer? has anyone tried?
    the way it works is it will remove a condition up to once every 3 seconds. it has a CD of 3 seconds- which is also the duration of revealed

you cant ever not use it

if you stealth with a condition on you it is removed immediately

say you have bleed, poison, and chill on you. you have that trait and you use hide in shadows
    HiS will remove the bleed and poison, after that the trait will remove chilled as you go into stealth

lets say you use shadow trap (5s stealth) with cripple, chilled, and confusion on you, when you enter stealth one is removed, 3 seconds later if you stay in stealth another is removed

bleed and all stacking conditions (and boons for that matter) when removed remove all stacks

if you want a bleed focused build use p/d and bring caltrops

drop caltrops (they take a stack of crip and bleed for each second in caltrops, usually up to 6 stacks) then cloak and dagger to stealth, then sneak attack
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-10-09 at 04:04 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

10+ Year Old Account
    thx for the great reply.
    The reason I want to try a different build is partially because always using the basic attack to kill mobs (as I do now) is boring. I`ll try the bleed spec when I get more gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    thx for the great reply.
    The reason I want to try a different build is partially because always using the basic attack to kill mobs (as I do now) is boring. I`ll try the bleed spec when I get more gear.
    with a d/d the bread and butter move is CnD-> backstab while using DB to evade attacks (if you cant dodge or want to dodge while doing damage)or AOE and HS to activate leap combos or close distance. dancing can be used for aoe, a cripple or to active projectile combos with a 100% chance (super useful when you get throw gunk and want to stack up some confusion) when they get to 25% hp HS spam usually wins out over CnD. then again thats from a "raw damage" view, fights arent always that clear cut

some thigns to remember when doing CnD -> stealth combos:

after you backstab it takes one full dagger mainhand chain before you can CnD to stealth again. you will cast CnD right as revealed is wearing off but by the time the attack hits revealed will be gone- assuming you did a full 1 chain

for pistol after you sneak attack 2 pistol shots from 1 is enough time before a cloak and dagger
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    I tried out different builds so far but by far the build which makes the most fun for me is kinda glas canon build. I love to backstab ppl and kill them instantly and it is not like i have to sacrifice so much survivability for it. I live quite long and when i need to kill someone fast, i can. If i am on cooldown it doesnt matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RvLnC6nSR4

Tested only in spvp for a few days now but i really feel good with it and i like it more than a full condition build or something more "balanced".

Deleted
    Posting this also here (also posted to video thread). I found this from reddit; if you are not sure how to play thief or want to get better, this person has some good thief guides: http://www.youtube.com/user/rainythief

He explains his builds, but more importantly he explains basic ideas how skills/traits work together. Builds will always change, but after understanding things you are ready to invent and improve your own build.

Here is dagger dagged backstab build explained. People seem to talk about this on every GW2 forum:

10+ Year Old Account
    Larynx made this excellent guide for playing a Thief, i feel it can help out the thief community a lot!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U1Yg0pgBhg
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    What build/weapons would you guys recommend for lvling from 40 to 80?
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.