Poll: If a human heart was replaced by an artificial one, would the personality change?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

If a human heart was replaced by an artificial one, would the personality change?

So imagine scientists make a fully functional artificial heart. I do not really understand what the heart's role is (if any), in shaping personalities but do you think that replacing a person's heart would cause a change in personality?

By personal experience I know that when my dog died, I could feel it hurting in my chest, or any other terrible sadness or even happiness an joy and you can feel it in your heart.

So, If a human heart was replaced by an artificial one, would the personality change?

Why , Why not, feel free to quote relevant info.

To read:

http://theophanes.hubpages.com/hub/C...ant-Recipients _ Memories are not only stored in brain?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1299456 - organ transplants can cause change?
    Last edited by igame; 2012-02-23 at 11:02 PM.

Why would it? The heart has nothing to do with the nervous system.

Considering the sole purpose of a heart is to pump blood throughout the body, no.

Nope.

Now if a part of the brain was moved...
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

No.
    Heart is a muscle that exists only to pump blood within your body.
    All the emotions and senses, including pain are caused only by brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Why would it? The heart has nothing to do with the nervous system.
    Something like this? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1299456

a follow up question is how much of a person can be artificial and still be called human?
    or does it mater what part is replaced. the heart or seat of the soul or the brain perhaps...?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    So imagine scientists make a fully functional artificial heart. I do not really understand what the heart's role is (if any), in shaping personalities but do you think that replacing a person's heart would cause a change in personality?

By personal experience I know that when my dog died, I could feel it hurting in my chest, or any other terrible sadness or even happiness an joy and you can feel it in your heart.

So, If a human heart was replaced by an artificial one, would the personality change?

Why , Why not, feel free to quote relevant info.
    Definitely. The heart is the source of all emotion. You'd basically be getting the emotional profile of the person whose heart you got. It could be disastrous, but it could be great too. Imagine if you got Rudy's heart, or like that Artie guy who killed all those dudes in WWII, you'd be able to do amazing things with all that courage.

10+ Year Old Account
    The brain is behind one's thought processes and how one reacts to things around them. It's memories and other repetitive actions that carve one's thinking which essentially builds your personality.

The matters of the heart and the like is in a metaphoric sense. Not an actual one.
    Last edited by Suikoden; 2012-02-23 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    No.
    Heart is a muscle that exists only to pump blood within your body.
    All the emotions and senses, including pain are caused only by brain.
    http://theophanes.hubpages.com/hub/C...ant-Recipients What about this?

No, your personality is located in your brain.

Stolen from wikipedia.
    "Although "heartbreak" ordinarily does not imply any physical defect in the heart, there is a condition known as "broken heart syndrome" or Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, where a traumatising incident triggers the brain to distribute chemicals that weaken heart tissue."

ADDED
    http://www.therealessentials.com/followyourheart.html
    Not sure how trustworthy this is .. but ill quote some of it. (Take this with a pinch of salt.)

"These scientists have found that the heart has its own independent nervous system – a complex system referred to as "the brain in the heart." There are at least forty thousand neurons (nerve cells) in the heart – as many as are found in various subcortical centers of the brain. "
    Last edited by MYTHRIZ; 2012-02-23 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added some info.
    gallery . twitch . twitter

queue:

Quote Originally Posted by tombstoner139 View Post
    a follow up question is how much of a person can be artificial and still be called human?
    or does it mater what part is replaced. the heart or seat of the soul or the brain perhaps...?
    Well the only important part of that would be with the brain. At what point is the person no longer the same person if we, for example, switched two different brains with each other one cell at a time.

"79% stated that their personality had not changed at all postoperatively"

Your source just answered your question.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Definitely. The heart is the source of all emotion. You'd basically be getting the emotional profile of the person whose heart you got. It could be disastrous, but it could be great too. Imagine if you got Rudy's heart, or like that Artie guy who killed all those dudes in WWII, you'd be able to do amazing things with all that courage.
    For poets, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Considering the sole purpose of a heart is to pump blood throughout the body, no.
    One more to prove you can state your statement as "THE" absolute truth : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uman-soul.html

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    For poets, that's true.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uman-soul.html - goes on to show that there is more to heart than just pumping blood.

I do not really understand what the heart's role is (if any), in shaping personalities but do you think that replacing a person's heart would cause a change in personality?
    I'm sorry to say this, but your education system has failed you.

3 people reported a change that they attributed to the heart.

You have no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    "79% stated that their personality had not changed at all postoperatively"

Your source just answered your question.
    Which leaves 21% where it did change and while the not change is something we can explain...the question that would be interesting would be why did the 21% change if everything is done by brain!!

Which leaves 21% where it did change and while the not change is something we can explain...the question that would be interesting would be why did the 21% change if everything is done by brain!!
    Actually 3/47 remain "unexplained".

6% is not conclusive proof, or anything substantial at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, but your education system has failed you.

yes I did not go to med school and was never overly keen on biology at school either. But my question does have gravity if you see that even if a small number of people did change, what caused that change? Seeing as how all we know tells us that brain is the powerful one, why do "some" people change after heart transplant and what decides if there will be a change?