Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Did it get to take off before crashing and burning concorde style, or did it just explode on the runway?

Sorry, I watched enough crappy elementalist videos where people do dumbest shit ranging from setting up games against troll games with 4 elementalists on opposing team to people telling us how great they are and then dagger air 4 into staff air 5 repeatedly in the same game all while telling us how good elementalists are and that their videos are the proof of it.

And all I can think while watching them is how if I could just pile all of these "good players" into the same team and play against them, I would get one hell of a glory farm on my mesmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Did it get to take off before crashing and burning concorde style, or did it just explode on the runway?

Sorry, I watched enough crappy elementalist videos where people do dumbest shit ranging from setting up games against troll games with 4 elementalists on opposing team to people telling us how great they are and then dagger air 4 into staff air 5 repeatedly in the same game all while telling us how good elementalists are and that their videos are the proof of it.

And all I can think while watching them is how if I could just pile all of these "good players" into the same team and play against them, I would get one hell of a glory farm on my mesmer.
    Haha, you clearly didn't watch the video, it's the theorycrafting team from BuildCast taking on Ele builds.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Haha, you clearly didn't watch the video, it's the theorycrafting team from BuildCast taking on Ele builds.
    I watched the whole thing. The part that stuck out was right in the middle, where the Elementalist was trying to solo defend the waterfall area. A thief challenged him. It didn't make me laugh so much that he couldn't kill the thief... but rather that he was pounding on him for like 2 minutes and couldn't even out DPS the thief's regen. He didn't even drop below 90% beyond the initial confrontation. He basically just kited around for what seemed like no reason, avoiding an inevitable death, escaping to regen then coming back to pester the thief.

(The thief was a power dagger build as well. Wasn't as if he was fighting a tank.)

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as OK?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the trait Earth's Embrace interact with Spell Slinger and Soothing Disruption? Do you think it might interact with Cantrip Mastery? (That one's unlikely, but I'm still curious)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Ele's are the best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Does the trait Earth's Embrace interact with Spell Slinger and Soothing Disruption? Do you think it might interact with Cantrip Mastery? (That one's unlikely, but I'm still curious)
    I think it will work, I tested this yesterday after seeing it on GW2Guru. It works only if you are lvl40+, since before that you can not get Conjurer-trait.

- TRAITS -
    20 points in Fire:
    • Conjurer (Conjured weapons have +10 charges)
    • Spell Singer (Cantrips grant +3 might when used)

10 points in Water:
    • Soothing Mist (Gives you passive regeneration for water form, which will be your default form)
    • Soothing Disruption (Cantrips grant you regeneration and vigor)

- UTILITY, HEALING, & ELITE -
    • Glyph of Elemental Harmony (gives you regeneration and health, our best heal)
    • Conjure Lightning Hammer
    • Armor of Earth (this with the above traits will make you a survivability powerhouse and ensure you can sit there and tank 2+ elites. Grants 3 stacks of might, protection, regeneration, stability, and stun resistance) <<< cantrip - our second heal -
    • Lightning Flash (grants regeneration, might, and is an escape) <<<cantrip - our third heal -
    • Summon Elemental (summon an ice golem when things are tough, will chill enemies for you allowing you to escape or kite)

Here is the lvl40 build as link:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEAQ...5gjCAkCnEUowAA

After that go 25 into water and getting bountiful power and cantrip mastery and then placing the remaining points in air to get "bolt to the heart" and the movement speed in air.

I dinged 40 yesterday and took these traits for testing. I did some champions and "protect the village"-events and had no problem about staying alive. I even met random warrior who fell so in love with hammer that he asked how I make it and wondered why warriors do not have cool spells. He continued to take one hammer that I leave behind, but it really didn't bother me.

If I run out of my hammer charges I can just drop some heals or other spells until hammer comes up again. Normally I were ~5sec without hammer if someone took the spare while I was doing serious hammering. Only thing that I needed to learn was to notice when I run out of hammer charges. Stying melee with normal weapons was not cool. Also leaving spare hammer up on hill and then jumping down to fight champion was not a good idea. That was actually only time I went into rally state. ^_^

I will test more today after work. This looks fun for levelling / farming, but at least at this point I would not try to go into instance with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried this build as soon as i hit 40 and it's simply awesome.
    I devastate anything that comes in my path instead of trying to avoid it, i can literally tank everything i'm not even dodging anymore and i can pull 5-6 or more normal mobs at once or easily handle 2-3 elites and WE bosses, and all this with mostly blue gear and 2-3 green pieces.

It's actually so powerful that i'm worried about ANet nerfing the synergy between Hammer AoE/Conjurer/Water Regen,
    Last edited by Keosen; 2012-09-25 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    It's actually so powerful that i'm worried about ANet nerfing the synergy between Hammer AoE/Conjurer/Water Regen,
    They might... or not. After all, those conjured weapons are our "weapon swaps". I'm now lvl48 and got bored at hammering everything (the build is so strong that it reminded why I got bored with heavy armored melee toons). Now I'm running with scepter & dagger and dance between attunements. I also found my new build from gw2 guru.

This build:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEAQ...hCEMKEiowFlC4A

- UTILITY, HEALING, & ELITE -
    • Arcane Power: Your next 5 attacks will automatically crit. Used in conjunction with the skills in fire attunement this lets you put out massive burst AOE dps.
    • Armor of Earth: stability and protection aka -33% of incoming damage or Signet of Earth: grants toughness and when activated immobilizes foes..
    • Cleaning fire: condition removal, stun break and AoE
    • Elite: Glyph of Elementals: Support when facing multiple or elite mobs.

- TRAITS -
    • 10 points in Fire: Internal Fire (10% more damage while in fire attunement)
    • 10 points in Air: One with Air (moving 35% faster while in air attunement will save you a ton of time)
    • 10 points in Earth: Earth’s Embrace (get Armor of Earth when your health reaches 50%)
    • 10 points in Arcane: Final Shielding (gaining an Arcane shield when you reach 25% and being able to absorb 3 hits can really be a lifesaver)

- HOW TO ATTUNEMENT DANCE -
    Start fights in air attunement. You’ll want to be in air attunement when moving around(for the speed buff).

Against single targets:
    Use Lightning Strike[2] to start the fight. You can do some strafe-kite with Arc Lightning[1]. I usually do not bother and go to melee with awesome combo of Blinding Flash[3] and then Ride the Lightning[4] and Updraft[5]. The Updraft[5] will knock the mob down. At this point you’ll want to switch to fire attunement and immediately fire off your Dragon’s Tooth[2] skill as you run back to the mob. Activate Arcane Power now so that all of fire skills will crit. When you’re within melee range of the mob use your Ring of Fire[4] skill to drop a fire field and then Phoenix[3] followed by your Fire Grab[5].

The Ring of Fire[4] skill acts as a combo area, Phoenix[3] will grant you three stacks of might when it lands inside this fire field(might increases your damage output).

Against multiple targets:
    If you see that your engagement will involve multiple targets fire off your Lightning Strike[2] and Blinding Flash[3] and then switch to Earth attunement and immediately cast Churning Earth[5]. If you time it correctly the skill should finish casting as the mobs reach you. From here activate Rock barrier[2] for extra armor and use Dust Devil[3] to blind the enemy again. Then use Earthquake[4] to knock the enemies down and switch to fire attunement. From here you’ll do same combo as with single target enemies; cast Dragon’s Tooth[2] and activate Arcane Power immediately followed by Ring of Fire[4], Phoenix[3] and Fire Grab[5].
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-09-25 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typos

Keep going and you'll eventually find out that d/d is the best for PvE for DPS scenarios while staff is best for when you get overwhelmed.

Weapon builds are fun as a change of pace. But they're nothing special really, and they tend to lack survivability due to melee requirement of the hammer without the ability to CC-burst stuff down with d/d. Sure you can hammer 5 them and kite or use other CC moves, but in the end you're basically a hammer warrior with elementalist flavour without warrior's health pool or armour. It'll work in low levels, sure, but late game personal story quests and places like cursed shore with a lightning hammer elementalist are half suicidal.

Fiery greatsword is great though, if not for the fact that it's kinda worse then elemental in most cases of soloing. Fire elemental + elite fire elemental + d/d equals a much greater dps and burst potential while tornado allows you 16 seconds of battlefield control through blowback and blind in case things go south. But going 2 man or in dungeons, provided people actually use your other sword on other low-damage classes, it provides a very solid DPS output for duration but with a terrible uptime.

Deleted
    Keep going and you'll eventually find out that d/d is the best for PvE for DPS scenarios while staff is best for when you get overwhelmed.
    D&D does good damage, but I personally didn’t like playstyle. I like to keep a bit of distance to be able to see battle. I can be melee, but I want to be able to return back on range. D&D might work well in places like Orr where mobs are close to each other, but you should not bring your playstyle choice up as ultimate truth.

If we all stuck on one build/style we will never invent anything new and get bored.
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-09-25 at 11:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and they tend to lack survivability due to melee requirement
    Maybe you are right for higher levels i don't know.
    At my current level (43) i can stand still and auto swing 2-3 elites without dying, and by having two defensive cds as well as the water elemental the survivability is as good as it gets i'm almost unkillable.

It's boring to be a melee but it's too good to skip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    It's boring to be a melee but it's too good to skip.
    I don't feel melee is all that hard, but wow, I've never thought THAT before.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    D&D does good damage, but I personally didn’t like playstyle. I like to keep a bit of distance to be able to see battle. I can be melee, but I want to be able to return back on range. D&D might work well in places like Orr where mobs are close to each other, but you should not bring your playstyle choice up as ultimate truth.

If we all stuck on one build/style we will never invent anything new and get bored.
    In the current situation of elementalist, we have no builds for solo that can match other characters. At all.

I've now played two characters at high lvl including elementalist and seen several others and am in position to testify that elementalist is simply broken right now, even in PvE.

Warrior will eclipse damage of lvl80 elementalist in rares/exotics focused on power/precision at around lvl60 with a level-appropriate GS (I crafted mine) and close to appropriate level blue/green gear. That is damage in lvl80 zones against lvl80 mobs for elementalist and damage in lvl60 zones vs ~lvl60 mobs when scaled to ~lvl60 for warrior looks approximately equal in terms of absolute numbers produced. If you downscale elementalist in the rare/exotic gear to 60, you'll be FAR behind a warrior who just got to that level in crappy levelling gear. Warrior basically melts PvE opposition and can tank (that is take hits repeatedly) from veteran mobs. Elementalist can certainly kite to an extent, but if he gets caught in a situation where he will get hit regardless (ranged veterans with no LoS-blocking object to kite around, snares), he's dead.

Class balance is hilariously broken right now in this regard. I actually had to force myself to stop trying to kite as a warrior and just tank the damage. It's simply far more effective to collect a few mobs in a pile, butcher them fast and take some damage and just move on and heal up on the go. With elementalist, that approach is impossible - if you try to tank multiple mobs, you would die even if you had damage of a warrior, which you do not.

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 02:17 PM ----------

I don't feel melee is all that hard, but wow, I've never thought THAT before.
    Try a warrior. Extremely effective, mindnumbingly boring. Pick up great sword and five signet cookie cutter build. Target mob. Press 5 > 2. If it's still alive, press 3. Move on to the next mob, if 5 is still on cd run next to it, press 2 and 3, finish with a few hits of 1 if you're in a zone where mobs are several levels above you and don't just melt on you en masse.

Warrior melee in dungeons after playing elementalist was an eye opener. You just don't die unless you massively overestimate your survivability and just keep on tanking damage for prolonged periods of time (i.e. "I don't care if boss and multiple ads are hitting me, I will finish that 100b!" moments). As elementalist, a mob looks at you funny and you drop down. And mobs target elementalists a whole LOT more often then they target warriors for some reason. I often found myself basically going nuts on damage in melee range and boss and his ads just keep on going after my ranged team mates. In fact, one of the biggest problem is how to aim 100b so that most of it hits the enemy who's constantly chasing someone else and completely ignoring you.

Deleted
    One thing what peeps are probably oversight is that our burst doesn't come in 1 big hit, or a channeled ability like 100B / PW etc. We make several big hits in a chain (all benefiting from AoE as well). For example: burst sequence in dungeons is precasting churning earth, port in group of mobs to finish cast, follow with knockdown, switch fire (meanwhile buddy thief steals porting in there and drops smoke bomb, warrior charges 100b) ring of fire, DT, phoenix, arcane wave, followed by air knock back. Now all mobs took major damage, are bleeding and burning, while none in group took any hits due to blindness and knockdown, plus we had 2 combo fields.

The durability doesn't come from your prowess to stand toe to toe with an enemy and dish out damage faster than he does to you, but from controlling your enemy with blinds, knockdowns, knockbacks, pushbacks, interrupts and using terrain at your advantage (you can't be shot through obstacles).

I'm trying to say; Often people on forums like to yell and moan how bad/broken/unbalanced professions is... and when you hear it everywhere you start to think that it is true. I have done this on wow, after years on shaman I swapped it to druid "to be better healer"... I never enjoyed druid play as much I liked my shaman.

Nerfs and buffs will come. Nowadays I just play what I find enjoyable and in GW2 it is Elementalist . I do not care if people say that I need to work more for kills or that killing stuff takes longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try a warrior. Extremely effective, mindnumbingly boring. Pick up great sword and five signet cookie cutter build. Target mob. Press 5 > 2. If it's still alive, press 3. Move on to the next mob, if 5 is still on cd run next to it, press 2 and 3, finish with a few hits of 1 if you're in a zone where mobs are several levels above you and don't just melt on you en masse.
    Please, I play my Guardian with Greatsword. I kill everything by leaping in, putting down a symbol, and then spin2win. And I ain't bored yet, I just mow things down like a blender.

Honestly, I'm thinking that the gameplay of GW2 just doesn't appeal to everybody, and everybody seems to want it to be made for them.

Is it less work than some other professions? Sure. But so what? I played WoW as a Shaman for years. I worked harder than every other melee dps, except maybe Ret Pally, for less potential, and still enjoyed it, and still downed the content.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I'm trying to say; Often people on forums like to yell and moan how bad/broken/unbalanced professions is... and when you hear it everywhere you start to think that it is true. I have done this on wow, after years on shaman I swapped it to druid "to be better healer"... I never enjoyed druid play as much I liked my shaman.

Nerfs and buffs will come. Nowadays I just play what I find enjoyable and in GW2 it is Elementalist . I do not care if people say that I need to work more for kills or that killing stuff takes longer.
    Thank you. Someone who gets it. Seriously its ok to not like the class but once you state that.. it gets really unproductive and very old to hear about it over and over. Its actually nice to see some productive and interesting class discussion for once in a great while in this thread. This thread is for discussing interesting builds not to bitch about how weak the class supposedly is.

Elementalist may be more of a challenge to play then some classes but im ok with that. Its extremely fun and versatile and in the end that's what is most important to me.

I find it interesting how this thread has fallen so far back.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying the different playstyles that an Elementalist brings. There is a lot more depth to this profession than a lot of people realize in my opinion. Anyway, it is turning into my favorite profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I find it interesting how this thread has fallen so far back.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying the different playstyles that an Elementalist brings. There is a lot more depth to this profession than a lot of people realize in my opinion. Anyway, it is turning into my favorite profession.
    It's definitely an extremely fun profession. It would be my main, if aesthetically I didn't prefer my Thief. Funny how the profession I enjoy most isn't my main. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely an extremely fun profession. It would be my main, if aesthetically I didn't prefer my Thief. Funny how the profession I enjoy most isn't my main. :S
    The one i prefer Aesthetically is totally ranger, yet mesmer has taken over my main slot due to the tiny ass skill ceiling ranger has... it's just... unfair on my ranger, it's become unfun due to no one standing a snowflakes chance in hell...

Well back on topic...

@Doozerjun: i totally agree!! A lot of people that bitch and moan how ele is broken are the ones that go "LOLOLOLOLZ!! i'm a fire magez guyz!!" and then that doesn't work out (for obvious reasons) and they bitch and moan about how ele is broken and needs fixing immediately...

Then you see the ele like the one i saw the other day who was using a staff and was single handedly keeping the top seal of lyss down (the one opposite of entrance), it was scary... and beautiful... but mostly scary...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.