Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    GW2 has completely changed how its doing underwater combat. The uninformed who feel the need to comment on what they don't know really need to get informed first so they don't sound likes trollish idiots.
    Same thing said blizzard when making the underwater zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    The stream was interrupted and it cut to a Red Bull commercial... I really fckin hate the marketing industry for getting netwide. Now you cant even view a simple 30 second video without a 1min advertisement...

I know its just smart business practice for adapting to more modern methods of media, but it just is so damn obnoxious.
    Weird. I got no commercials at all. Just the full interview. I watch on Gamebreaker.tv, perhaps you were watching elsewhere?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    Except that with their underwater zone your abilities didn't change. You swam faster than you could run, and the only difference between Cata's under water combat and the rest of WoW's underwater combat was that you didn't drown after 3-10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Except GW2 actually made it work. They didn't just tell us, they showed us.

Please do some research before bashing something you know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Except GW2 actually made it work. They didn't just tell us, they showed us.

Please do some research before bashing something you know nothing about.
    From all we've seen, it looks pretty close to what blizzard did, except for denying you all normal skills and replacing them with set of special "underwater" skills. The main attraction/fault of going to fully 3d combat is the biggest meaningful change, and some people like it, some people hate it.

Others have already said it, but WoW SAID that. GW2 has SHOWN in demos and in the latest beta that their underwater combat is SIGNIFICANTLY different than their regular combat by actually taking advantage of the 3 dimensinal space/z axis/whatever. All Blizzard did was take their regular system and add a third dimension to it while not taking advantage of that, which anyone could clearly see if WoW had shown video of their 'underwater combat. Again, get informed.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    From all we've seen, it looks pretty close to what blizzard did, except for denying you all normal skills and replacing them with set of special "underwater" skills. The main attraction/fault of going to fully 3d combat is the biggest meaningful change, and some people like it, some people hate it.
    That is the case with anything. You really can't deny that GW2 actually taking advantage of the 3d combat by making skills specifically for that both adds another layer onto combat and is a significant difference from what WoW did with their 'underwater combat'. Of course its not something everyone will like, but that is the case with any form of change.

I really don't think the great barrier to underwater combat has been casting the same fireball in the drink as on land. <-- pun loaded sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I really don't think the great barrier to underwater combat has been casting the same fireball in the drink as on land. <-- pun loaded sentence.
    I would say the 'great barrier' would be both the speed of combat and breath meter.

Deleted
    If you missed the show it will be available in a day or two at www.gamebreaker.tv

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    I would say the 'great barrier' would be both the speed of combat and breath meter.
    There is no breath meter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe s/he meant the lack of a breath meter.

I'm just glad we get special weapons for underwater combat, to not make it feel like land combat, only just really annoying.

Old news. Entire underwater zone in the cataclysm doesn't require breathing beyond the first quest either. The only real innovation is the specialized set of skills. Everything else in terms of underwater combat is "been there done that" at this point.

And honestly, I hated combat mechanics in WoW underwater for one singular reason. They were 3D. I prefer standing on the ground when fighting. I know I'm not alone in this. I was playing Death Knight as a main for a very long time, and I did underwater when I was in near full first cata tier/pvp set, so combat wasn't annoyingly difficult between having death grip, being a good player and having gear to let me do it reasonably fast solo (I was going for achievements). I didn't care about targetable AoE skills being hard to use because I could just go without DnD and grip mobs that were below/above me to make it easier to attack them.

It was still annoying and I never went back on my alt. WoW was good enough to give me a choice in the matter. I am somewhat annoyed that "about 25% of content is underwater" in GW2, because that's the content I will not be enjoying nearly as much as the rest.

It's a personal preference. Simple as that.

Old news. Entire underwater zone in the cataclysm doesn't require breathing beyond the first quest either. The only real innovation is the specialized set of skills. Everything else in terms of underwater combat is "been there done that" at this point.

And honestly, I hated combat mechanics in WoW underwater for one singular reason. They were 3D. I prefer standing on the ground when fighting. I know I'm not alone in this. I was playing Death Knight as a main for a very long time, and I did underwater when I was in near full first cata tier/pvp set, so combat wasn't annoyingly difficult between having death grip, being a good player and having gear to let me do it reasonably fast solo (I was going for achievements). I didn't care about targetable AoE skills being hard to use because I could just go without DnD and grip mobs that were below/above me to make it easier to attack them.

It was still annoying and I never went back on my alt. WoW was good enough to give me a choice in the matter. I am somewhat annoyed that "about 25% of content is underwater" in GW2, because that's the content I will not be enjoying nearly as much as the rest.

All I did was correct somebody?

All I did was correct somebody?
    I'm reiterating the point, wasn't really addressed at you as much as generally.

Sorry if it came off as if I was talking to you. That wasn't my intention.

10+ Year Old Account

100% agree, there has not been a single version of underwater combat in any game I have enjoyed.

Bioshock was pretty good.

[omglulzcuwatididthar?]

snip - I only snip to reduce page numbers u understand - u tend to post long
    Granted but the music! Best music in cata. I did that zone on 4 toons just for the music. Ofc, the play could be annoying as hell, but dang it was prwetty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bioshock was pretty good.

[omglulzcuwatididthar?]
    I see your Bioshock and raise Freelancer.

---------- Post added 2012-02-24 at 04:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Granted but the music! Best music in cata. I did that zone on 4 toons just for the music. Ofc, the play could be annoying as hell, but dang it was prwetty.
    I am a warped person who plays PvE with game music off and background being either some techno tune or (you'll hate me) jpop crap.

Something about mindnumbing repetitive songs to put your brain to sleep and ease the pain of mindless quest grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Underwater combat is fine as long as it's not restrictive and not designed as an afterthought. From what I've seen, this is true of GW2.

I didn't have a problem with Vashj'ir in WoW, but there were some problems. For one, AoE attacks didn't work properly and the hit boxes on mobs were a bit weird. Blizzard had to do a lot more than allow running on the sea floor and remove breathing. To be all honest, running on the sea floor kind of removed the purpose of underwater. It was really just another zone with instant flying mount and annoying mobs in your air space.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I see your Bioshock and raise Freelancer
    That isn't even remotely close to my cleverness!

Freelancer was in space. Bioshock was under the sea.

Get out. >.>