Deleted

MBP Disk problem

Hello good ppl of MMO!

I have a serious question regarding my MacBook Pro.

So to be short and simple....I have a disk0s2: I/0 error.
    I have tried everything from the mac forums ( I am new to Macs and dont know much bout them ), reset PRAM, fsck check, safe mode, you name it, I did it.

I know the error "could" mean disk failure and exchange the disk. But I get same error on my PC sometimes, and I just nudge the cable a bit, and it works again. No problem.

So is there anything besided changing the drive, that I could do to try to fix the mac. ( It's on the gray login Apple logo screen ).

And one more, can you open the mac and exchange the drive yourself, is it difficult? and which drive would you advise me to use?

One more thing before I post, Disk Utility disc which you get with your mac, is there a way to download this and put it on the disc and run it? ( aka like Windows install disc ).

Thanksss!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    What year MPB is this?

And the OSX install disk, which should come with any MBP, can be booted to for disk utility.

Deleted
    How old is it?

And if you hold alt down while booting, you can choose which disk you'd like to boot from. There should be a "Recovery disk" among the possibilities (which are your normal OS X drive, windows partition or if you have an external harddrive plugged in.

On the recovery disk, there is disk utility. But the difference from the one that you can use in OS X, this can check and repair your harddrive for errors and so on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    What year MPB is this?

And the OSX install disk, which should come with any MBP, can be booted to for disk utility.
    My GF bought it in early 2010, and she did not get a disc with it, since it already had OS X on it installed. Her apple care expired...and her version was I think 10.4 or .5

Is there some other program or way to download Disk utility?

Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prbitk View Post
    My GF bought it in early 2010, and she did not get a disc with it, since it already had OS X on it installed. Her apple care expired...and her version was I think 10.4 or .5

Thanks
    She should have a disk with some kind of recovery. And 10.6 is quite old... Did she get it from new?

Deleted
    She got it from Futureshop.ca and yes it was new. All MBP box and everything, just she didnt get any disc inside, just the computer, charger and some add to the charger.

Is there any other type of disc recovery program available to try to fix the disk, or you need the Apple recovery disk.

And 10.6 I think is the newest OS X...I think we have 10.4

Deleted
    And 10.6 I think is the newest OS X...I think we have 10.4
    10.8 = Mountain Lion (Currently in beta)
    10.7 = Lion (Currently newest)
    10.6 = Snow Leopard (Limited support - final version that can run PowerPC apps such as Diablo II)
    10.5 = Leopard (Unsupported)
    10.4 = Tiger (Unsupported)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-02-25 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks
    New in 2010? Macs always come with the OS discs when they're purchased new. The OS disk is the only way to run disk utility without a bootable OS. If you have access to another mac and a firewire to firewire cable you can also try to target boot the bad laptop. To your original question, you can replace the HDD, but you need to crack the case. You can fine guides online easily.

Deleted
    She should have the disk that comes with the mac. The thing is, there are other disk utillity like apps, like OnyX, but they can't repair the HDD. To do that, you must not boot into OS X.

Perhaps some friends got the disk?