1. #1

    Ask ANet about WvW

    http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-fergu...-and-on-reddit

    Do it! An AMA session with Mike Ferguson! What would you want asked?

    Also, the article that that links to has more neat infos. I really liked this:
    A few people wondered if WvW has a day-night cycle, and it does! Let me tell you this: seeing a trebuchet fire in the night is something you have to experience. Words just can’t accurately describe the sight of a giant flaming arc of doom sweeping across the night sky!
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-02-24 at 09:38 AM.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  2. #2
    b-b-buttt.... what do I say? WHAT DO I SAY HERECIUS?!

  3. #3
    my question is "When will i be able to play WvW? ;D"

  4. #4
    Hope I get into the beta. This game looks bad ass!

  5. #5
    Server Transfers:
    Awesome. You have a home server but can visit other servers freely. Changing your home server costs an as yet undetermined amount of money.
    They've done it again, folks lol.
    That's how you stop server hopping to benefit from WvWvW.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Server Transfers:
    Awesome. You have a home server but can visit other servers freely. Changing your home server costs an as yet undetermined amount of money.
    They've done it again, folks lol.
    That's how you stop server hopping to benefit from WvWvW.
    That sounds really great, that means I can visit a friend's server whenever I want to, without having to leave my own server to do it.

    Still, I kinda was hoping that I could switch my "home server" to a freind's and vice versa without a fee, but Arenanet needs to make money somehow, at least they are very lenient on how in that regard however.

    Unlike a coughcertaincough game does and charges a $20+ fee for pretty much any form of outside service...
    And should he be a prophet of It's coming, he shall be cast out by his kin and his peers, for they cannot comprehend and fear the end of the corrupt empire. - Unknown, 3/1/2012
    I am Lothaeryn, Dragonborn of Nirn and Paladin of Azeroth. Hear my voice and tremble... Bask in my radiance and be inspired...
    For I am the Hand of Dawn, and justice shall be done by my shout and by my blade.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Server Transfers:
    Awesome. You have a home server but can visit other servers freely. Changing your home server costs an as yet undetermined amount of money.
    They've done it again, folks lol.
    That's how you stop server hopping to benefit from WvWvW.
    Indeed. I was very impressed by that solution. It's a great way to still keep the spirit of Guild Wars in allowing you to roam between servers, without compromising the mechanics of the game.

    I think Blizzard could learn something from this, for as much as I adore WoW and am a card-carrying fanboy of it, there's no way around the fact that their transfer fees are awfully outdated.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Indeed. I was very impressed by that solution. It's a great way to still keep the spirit of Guild Wars in allowing you to roam between servers, without compromising the mechanics of the game.

    I think Blizzard could learn something from this, for as much as I adore WoW and am a card-carrying fanboy of it, there's no way around the fact that their transfer fees are awfully outdated.
    well, if people are still willing to pay for $20 transfers, why are they going to try and change it? AS far as I see it they are in it for the money anyways nowadays, I don't see why they would start practicing differently because another company has another policy.
    And should he be a prophet of It's coming, he shall be cast out by his kin and his peers, for they cannot comprehend and fear the end of the corrupt empire. - Unknown, 3/1/2012
    I am Lothaeryn, Dragonborn of Nirn and Paladin of Azeroth. Hear my voice and tremble... Bask in my radiance and be inspired...
    For I am the Hand of Dawn, and justice shall be done by my shout and by my blade.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    well, if people are still willing to pay for $20 transfers, why are they going to try and change it? AS far as I see it they are in it for the money anyways nowadays, I don't see why they would start practicing differently because another company has another policy.
    If they transfer they won't get the benefit of the winning world until that world wins again in 2 weeks, plus the winning worlds get paired against other more skilled winning worlds so it'll be even more harder to guarantee another win.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    That sounds really great, that means I can visit a friend's server whenever I want to, without having to leave my own server to do it.

    Still, I kinda was hoping that I could switch my "home server" to a freind's and vice versa without a fee, but Arenanet needs to make money somehow, at least they are very lenient on how in that regard however.

    Unlike a coughcertaincough game does and charges a $20+ fee for pretty much any form of outside service...
    Yeah, it's awesome
    So awesome that I decided it needed another thread right away lol. I don't know why you would want to transfer to another friends home server though, unless there's some limitations. But, this is Anet. There just won't be.
    Really keeps the spirit of GW1 alive and is just amazing for keeping people together.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  11. #11
    i'm surprised how ANet is actually interacting with fans during the game's development. Another reason for me to buy GW2 =D

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yeah, it's awesome
    So awesome that I decided it needed another thread right away lol. I don't know why you would want to transfer to another friends home server though, unless there's some limitations. But, this is Anet. There just won't be.
    Really keeps the spirit of GW1 alive and is just amazing for keeping people together.
    Idk, i just feel off if I'm not 100% committed to somewhere, the concept of "visiting" a server makes me feel artificial in respect to the server I might visit that a friend is on. As if I was play via a trial account and not an official one, and my character would be deleted later.

    I know the system is not like this, but the terminology of the concept really irks me, must be some kind of OCD I have ><
    And should he be a prophet of It's coming, he shall be cast out by his kin and his peers, for they cannot comprehend and fear the end of the corrupt empire. - Unknown, 3/1/2012
    I am Lothaeryn, Dragonborn of Nirn and Paladin of Azeroth. Hear my voice and tremble... Bask in my radiance and be inspired...
    For I am the Hand of Dawn, and justice shall be done by my shout and by my blade.

  13. #13
    My god. GW2 looks so awesome. The best part, is that you can actually work together as a team to upgrade stuff for your base in WvWvW. That's AWESOME. Something that WoW is sorely lacking.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Idk, i just feel off if I'm not 100% committed to somewhere, the concept of "visiting" a server makes me feel artificial in respect to the server I might visit that a friend is on. As if I was play via a trial account and not an official one, and my character would be deleted later.

    I know the system is not like this, but the terminology of the concept really irks me, must be some kind of OCD I have ><
    I can see that...kinda.
    It will no doubt work just like in GW1. There's a drop down menu, you select the realm, bingo you're there and there's really no difference.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If they transfer they won't get the benefit of the winning world until that world wins again in 2 weeks, plus the winning worlds get paired against other more skilled winning worlds so it'll be even more harder to guarantee another win.
    I was responding to Herecius's comment on how WoW should take an example from Arenanet's policy and revamp their character transfer system and pricing on the service, I wasn't commenting on GW2's system.
    And should he be a prophet of It's coming, he shall be cast out by his kin and his peers, for they cannot comprehend and fear the end of the corrupt empire. - Unknown, 3/1/2012
    I am Lothaeryn, Dragonborn of Nirn and Paladin of Azeroth. Hear my voice and tremble... Bask in my radiance and be inspired...
    For I am the Hand of Dawn, and justice shall be done by my shout and by my blade.

  16. #16
    One thing I wanted to know just from watching vids, is how sturdy keep defenses and doors are, how often is it possible for something to change hands over the course of a WvWvW battle... on the vids, the doors scarcely seemed to take damage. Seemed to indicate that even small defenses required very focused assaults.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  17. #17
    Those american hours =) I had to stay later at work and would have been nice with something to read, a bit easier than finding time to do it a friday evening :/ Ah well, something for saturday morning then... =)
    Last edited by Tea; 2012-02-24 at 10:11 AM.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Proxeneta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far north of everything
    Posts
    706
    I'm just wondering if they aren't worried about WvW becoming a huge lagfest?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    I'm just wondering if they aren't worried about WvW becoming a huge lagfest?
    They tried the WvW in the press beta and there were no lag what so ever. But since the beta was limited to a special amount of people you never know how many that will play the game when it's released, but to be honest, I don't think it's something to worry about, since I think they are prepared with good engines or whatever they need to not make the server lag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •