Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

GW2: Server transfers and WvWvW bonuses

Server Transfers:
    Some of our more astute fans asked about the complications involved with switching servers and how it would interact with world bonuses. Every account has a home server where your characters are created. You can only fight for your home world in WvW. You can visit other servers, and while you are visiting, you still get the world bonus from your home world instead of the bonus for the world you are visiting. If you switch your home server, you lose the bonus from your previous home world and are not eligible for the bonus for your new server at least until the beginning of the next battle for the Mists. We may extend this disqualification into the next match or possibly even longer to discourage people from switching servers right before a battle ends in order to get an awesome bonus. You will have to pay a fee to change your home server (price undetermined), and that will also discourage people from server hopping to chase world bonuses.
    So, you have a home server but you can visit other servers freely. Changing your home server costs an as yet undetermined amount of money.
    Perfect solution to stopping server hopping to chase the best WvWvW servers.
    Hats off to them, think it's a great solution.

Yes, really it's amazing. I'm so happy about this.

Interesting solution.

So if you don't do WvWvW, this is totally irrelevant and server transfers are free for you.

Really, even if you do it it wouldn't matter unless you're serious about progressing right? What are the bonuses?

intresting... wonder what the restrictions are on play while visiting servers. IE can you do whatever you want on the visited server or are their restrictions such as you cant trade or join guilds on the visited server. Kinda sad about server transfer fee but then agian being able to visit friends on other servers and do things with them actually handles alot of need to transfer.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Interesting solution.

So if you don't do WvWvW, this is totally irrelevant and server transfers are free for you.

Really, even if you do it it wouldn't matter unless you're serious about progressing right? What are the bonuses?
    Bonuses:
    WvW has a couple of bonuses that are earned and applied in different ways. I just wanted to go over them again real quick to try and clear up some of the differences between them.
    World Bonuses: These are earned by holding objectives in WvW and gaining enough points to cross certain War Score thresholds. This bonus applies to everyone from that world in both PvE and WvW.
    Orb Bonuses: These are earned by claiming Orbs of Power for your world. This bonus applies to everyone from that world in WvW.
    Guild Bonuses: These bonuses are earned by guilds researching them and placing them at objectives they have claimed. They apply to anyone from the same world as the guild, but only in the vicinity of the claimed objective.
    Yes, I don't know what reason you could have to transfer from your home server other than to chase WvWvW bonuses. Being able to visit other servers freely cuts out most of the reason anyone does it.
    Hardcore people who really really want to be on the top rated servers for pvp can still do so.

Deleted
    This also means that we have 5 character slots total and cannot create them on other servers.

And if we switch home server all our characters switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting solution.

This is one thing i've wondered about after the wording of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ferguson
    Capturing objectives can provide bonuses for everyone on your server, as well as any rewards you get for your character. As your War Score increases over the course of the two-week battle, your world will gain access to additional bonuses or be able to strengthen the bonuses you already have.
    Can anyone confirm whether some of the buffs attained through WvW performance will go over to PvE too, or not?

*edit* Squirrels answered me before I even finished posting .

You will have to pay a fee to change your home server
    Real money or ingame currency? doubt it's ingame stuff

Which would suck because you can freely go to other servers for xxx/limitless time and pve with buddies etc.
    Punishing PvP'ers, it's pointless to fight for enemy server.. you're gimping yourself even more.

I'd put a cooldown on pvp participation or bonuses from new servers for some time, not a fee.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-02-24 at 02:58 AM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Anet - Kicking ass and taking names yet again. Hats off to them, that's quite the innovative solution.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

World Bonuses: These are earned by holding objectives in WvW and gaining enough points to cross certain War Score thresholds. This bonus applies to everyone from that world in both PvE and WvW.
    Orb Bonuses: These are earned by claiming Orbs of Power for your world. This bonus applies to everyone from that world in WvW.
    Guild Bonuses: These bonuses are earned by guilds researching them and placing them at objectives they have claimed. They apply to anyone from the same world as the guild, but only in the vicinity of the claimed objective.
    Um, wow. Way, way off putting for me.

Yikes. I just got a sudden :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Care to elaborate?

Deleted
    Sounds entirely reasonable to me.

And I'm always happy to read that ANet does in fact want our money.

So far I've always felt like they were rather reluctant to take my cash....which sounded too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    I'm guessing it's real money?? or ingame currency which i doubt

Which would suck because you can freely go to other servers for xxx/limitless time and pve with buddies etc. Punishing PvP'ers
    How does this punish PvPers? If anything it's a good thing for PvP.

Oh, whyz? ...

Eh? How could this possibly bother you? You gain benefits from people who do WvW regardless if you're involved in doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what if you don't care about a 2% boost to stats and just want to play with new people or friends who are on a different server? What a disappointment.

It's punishing PvPers because they have to pay to get to represent server they want to represent. PvErs get the PvE buffs for free. It's pretty clear cut.

I'm foreseeing a huge problem with people massively overcrowding the winning "home server" to the point of it being utterly unplayable and having huge queues if WvWvW PvE bonuses are big, and massive QQ if bonuses are meaningless.
    Arenanet will need to do some polishing on this feature. I can see it working if done right, but after reading somethingawful's forums, I am certain that if this is abuseble, it will be abused to hell and back.

You can hop and pve with friends on any realm, and you can move freely between.

There's no point for PvP'ers to go; you'd be an idiot to WvW for enemy team this way... you're gimping your own server and yourself by getting smaller bonuses.

It's an epic feature for PvE, you get a middle finger as PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    And what if you don't care about a 2% boost to stats and just want to play with new people or friends who are on a different server? What a disappointment.
    Your friends should be joining your server if you're already playing? Yeah, you wouldn't be able to play WvW with people you meet on new server unless you change your home world, but it's nessecary so that people don't just hop over to the best 3 servers every 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    You can visit other people on other servers for free, but in WvWvW you are representing your original server you selected.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.