Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ...
37
45
46
47
48
49
57
... LastLast
  1. #921
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I've found the Warhorn to be pretty much a complete piece of crap. Speed boost and small AoE DoT + Daze, which isn't as amazingly useful as it may appear. There have been times when I wish I had that speed boost, and then I remember 'Oh wait, why would I want the speed boost? It's a piece of crap' then I happily trundle slowly towards my destination knowing that I picked a weapon that's more useful.
    Swiftness isn't so crappy as you might think. O_o

    It's really useful for chasing as well as running away. Oh, they leap in? Well, now they have decreased movement speed, and you still have increased movement speed. It's worth noting that the Focus #5 can only Chill one target (unless you also blow a utility skill), while the Warhorn combination of #3 and #5 allows you to keep packs of enemies snared.

    I personally like doing Dagger/Dagger with Axe/Warhorn over the other options. The Focus is nice, but I just prefer the Warhorn, with it's interrupt and how well it helps kiting multiple targets.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  2. #922
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Lot of warhorn love on these power builds. Never would have thought. I've been rocking Dagger or Focus offhand pretty exclusively. Guessing the kiting utility on the horn is pretty essential later on? (I just hit 20 on Necro so it hasn't been super essential to this point.)
    I'm with you. Warhorn to me sounds like it's better suited for PVP (and even then I rather use a Focus). Staff is pretty quintessential in any PVE (outside boss fights) situations because of its fear slow bleeds and condition transfer abilities. I don't feel the need to kite with warhorn because of Staff, I suppose.

  3. #923
    Brewmaster Zombina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where the wild things are
    Posts
    1,401
    Warhorn is also good for chasing down people running away, particularly if you do use dagger/dagger you will only have access to the 600 range immobilize for grabbing people, not including other utilities ofc.

  4. #924
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Swiftness isn't so crappy as you might think. O_o

    It's really useful for chasing as well as running away. Oh, they leap in? Well, now they have decreased movement speed, and you still have increased movement speed. It's worth noting that the Focus #5 can only Chill one target (unless you also blow a utility skill), while the Warhorn combination of #3 and #5 allows you to keep packs of enemies snared.

    I personally like doing Dagger/Dagger with Axe/Warhorn over the other options. The Focus is nice, but I just prefer the Warhorn, with it's interrupt and how well it helps kiting multiple targets.
    Thing is, drake, I'm built like a brick shithouse. I never need that running away/kiting, because I just run in, enfeebling blood, pop down well of suffering, death shroud and use my 4 ability and every mob is already at 30%. The conal daze seems really good but I've actually found it to be pretty crap in the long run, compared to the multi target blind and weakness my daggers can do.

    I used Dagger/Warhorn at first cause I thought it looked cool and I absolutely love the locust swarm for its sound and appearence but I found it only to be good for swapping to warhorn, popping the buff, swapping back and carry on running. I never found myself using it that much in combat.

    Should also be mentioned that I don't need to chase people down because I use Necrotic Grasp which is a 1200 range pull and chill. It's insane.
    "Do you know what it's like to fall on the floor, cry your guts out til you got no more? Hey man, now you're really livin'" - Mark Everett

    Crucilus Bloodbane - Level 80 Charr Necromancer - Zebra lord of the bank alts
    Esaari - Level 80 Asura Elementalist

  5. #925
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    Warhorn to me sounds like it's better suited for PVP
    Considering that controlling the enemy is JUST as important in PvE as it is in PvP...

    How do you figure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Thing is, drake, I'm built like a brick shithouse.
    Well, not everybody is. :P

    I agree that the off-hand Dagger #4 is ridiculously good, but I don't see the conal Daze as terrible, either. I like Warhorn much more than Focus, and the off-hand Dagger doesn't help with kiting/chasing.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  6. #926
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    Warhorn is also good for chasing down people running away, particularly if you do use dagger/dagger you will only have access to the 600 range immobilize for grabbing people, not including other utilities ofc.
    Spinal Shivers (Focus 5 ability) and Chillblains (Staff 3) applies -66% movement speed. Both of which are 1200 range (max without spec traiting into increased range).

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Considering that controlling the enemy is JUST as important in PvE as it is in PvP...

    How do you figure?
    With Staff and Deathshroud, you really don't need another interrupt. Though Wail of Doom is particular good at what it does, the trade off for damage just isn't worth it (imo for my build). If I were a Deathshroud + Power necro it'd be a different story however :P
    Last edited by nighties; 2012-09-07 at 10:46 PM.

  7. #927
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    Spinal Shivers (Focus 5 ability) and Chillblains (Staff 3) applies -66% movement speed. Both of which are 1200 range (max without spec traiting into increased range).
    Spinal Shivers is single-target, and doesn't do self-swiftness (am I the only one who sees the advantage of BOTH snaring the enemy, AND increasing your own speed? They'd need BOTH condition and boon removal to even it back out). It has the advantage of range, certainly.

    The Staff has the advantage of both, but has the disadvantage of being a 2H weapon.

    TRADE OFFS ABOUND!
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-07 at 10:47 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  8. #928
    Brewmaster Zombina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where the wild things are
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    Spinal Shivers (Focus 5 ability) and Chillblains (Staff 3) applies -66% movement speed. Both of which are 1200 range (max without spec traiting into increased range).
    I know, but with the dagger/dagger x/warhorn we were discussing, you wouldn't have any of those

  9. #929
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    I know, but with the dagger/dagger x/warhorn we were discussing, you wouldn't have any of those
    Yep that's why you should always use staff. Hahaha..

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The Staff has the advantage of both, but has the disadvantage of being a 2H weapon.

    TRADE OFFS ABOUND!
    I don't see the disadvantage you're referring to.. Clarify?

  10. #930
    Brewmaster Zombina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where the wild things are
    Posts
    1,401
    On the subject actually, I feel necro needs a long range [1200] option other than the staff for single target with some straight up spell damage, or maybe buff the range on axe. But our current weapons are too suited into certain specs, so using a scepter outside of condition damage setups is pretty useless, having the staff as the only max range option is annoying, as the only 'general' damage weapon we have is axe which is on 600 range.

    Just for pvp this is a massive disadvantage, even the more melee orientated classes know to bring a max range weapon, so running around with 600 range attacks as your go-to for long range, it's not great. TLR give us spell swords

  11. #931
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    I don't see the disadvantage you're referring to.. Clarify?
    Simple. You get 5 skills set specifically to that weapon, always. a 1H + OH combo allows you to mix and match to your liking.

    Like the MH Dagger skills, but don't like the OH Dagger skills? Kay, go with Focus or Warhorn instead.

    When you take the Staff, you take every single skill on it, even if you might want to swap out two of them for something from the OH category.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  12. #932
    Brewmaster Zombina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where the wild things are
    Posts
    1,401
    The ground target slow on staff will also probably miss if someone is running away from max distance, cast-target abilities wont

  13. #933
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Simple. You get 5 skills set specifically to that weapon, always. a 1H + OH combo allows you to mix and match to your liking.

    Like the MH Dagger skills, but don't like the OH Dagger skills? Kay, go with Focus or Warhorn instead.

    When you take the Staff, you take every single skill on it, even if you might want to swap out two of them for something from the OH category.
    I see. But that doesn't take away from the many many many benefits Staff users have. There's nothing from 1-3 or 4-5 I would change from staff It's synergy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    The ground target slow on staff will also probably miss if someone is running away from max distance, cast-target abilities wont
    There's a great skill-curve certainly on where and when to place your marks. Just for a little added insurance though, traiting into Greater Marks (tier 1 Deathmagic) is an absolute godsend. Unblockable and your increase the radius to 1.5x(?) the size. I also have little to no trouble hunting people down with Staff / Dagger Focus. If the slows don't get you, Dark Path will ^_^
    Last edited by nighties; 2012-09-07 at 11:02 PM.

  14. #934
    Anyone use scepter? It feels weak to me for some reason.

  15. #935
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Anyone use scepter? It feels weak to me for some reason.
    I use scepter/dagger and staff... It is quite reliant on a good mix of both power and condition damage tbh, but once I got decent numbers in both and started paying attention to how the skills syngergized... aka stacking debuffs and conditions, Im killing quicker than ever before, and an aoe snare on a 10 sec CD is far from bad ^^

    Try maxing out condition benefits and bleed benefits, worth noting is that I use ground targeted wells with suffering and the corruption one I think its called, I also use the ranged pet and the golem... Golem sometimes bugs out but its less than before, dunno if something was fixed but lately he is doing his job.

  16. #936
    Brewmaster Xothic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    QLD, Australia
    Posts
    1,374
    With scepter/dagger/fleshbeast, I never really find myself needing anything else in the way of CC/slows (outside of PvP, where a staff can be bloody useful.)

    On another note, is anyone having problems with flesh beast AI? None of the other not-elite minions have any problems with their AI, just the Flesh Beast. I dont mind the fact that he is constantly set to agressive, it can make journeys through the wilderness a bit more interesting, but I just wish he wouldnt stand there and watch when I aggro mobs like he has forgotten how to fight. It is pretty frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Xothic - Prot Paladin - Expired at the end of 5.1, returned start of 5.4, left again. Bleh.

  17. #937
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Anyone use scepter? It feels weak to me for some reason.
    Yeah I use a build I found in this guide, http://www.teamparadigm.net/guides/N...ncer-PvP-Guide

    It's this build, http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simul....0.30.10.10.20

    It's really solid, I opt for blood is power over plague signet atm. and I watched him stream and he switches between the two depending on something, I'm not quite sure what.

    You just stack those bleeds up super fast and that's the goal essentially. It does crazy damage and chews through toughness based builds really fast.

  18. #938
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I can't help but feel like that increased boon duration isn't particularly beneficial to the Death Magic trait line... primarily because it feels like it's primarily about minions.

    Am I alone in this?

    If Dark Armor was, say, "Gain X seconds of protection while channeling" that could cause that protection to linger past the channel, I could maybe understand. There's very little that Necros can do in regards to boon application in general...
    There are other traits such wells applying protection when cast, which is much like what you are expecting from dark armor. Otherwise, like Hjalmtyr said, there's the well that converts conditions.

    I think most toughness traits have this for other professions as well. The benefit comes into play more when you have reliable teammates which give a lot of boons, like guardians or mesmers etc.
    When trying to be self-sufficient, it's a little lackluster but the rest of the trait line compensates for it (since it gives so much protection).

  19. #939
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrion View Post
    There are other traits such wells applying protection when cast, which is much like what you are expecting from dark armor. Otherwise, like Hjalmtyr said, there's the well that converts conditions.

    I think most toughness traits have this for other professions as well. The benefit comes into play more when you have reliable teammates which give a lot of boons, like guardians or mesmers etc.
    When trying to be self-sufficient, it's a little lackluster but the rest of the trait line compensates for it (since it gives so much protection).
    Pretty sure getting increased boon duration as a stat only affects the boons you apply.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  20. #940
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Pretty sure getting increased boon duration as a stat only affects the boons you apply.
    Well then it's not very good as we don't have many boons to speak of, other than the protection from wells and the condition conversion.
    You're right since those are situational and you actually need to use a trait point for one and utility slot for the other while the rest of trait benefits are blanket buffs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •