Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Is there a good Wells build that doesn't use staff? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but staff dps seems terrible.

I love daggers, but the only dagger build I can find relies heavily on minions. There don't seem to be any dagger/Wells builds, at least not that I've found.
    Shit ton of dagger well power builds. Staff being used as a support ranged weapon.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...cus-and-wells/

You could use axe but I find axe redundant. It's cripple move also gives you retaliation... well then whats the point of cripple? The retaliation is going to be wasted from kiting. Axe doesn't seem to generate enough life force for me either. I like the concept not the execution.

Imo axe 1 needs to give life force and keep axe 2 life force and same cd which would result in more death shroud dps usage instead of just flat out giving a dps boost.

Skill 3 retaliation needs to gtfo and grant fear for 1 second and after it ends cripple for 5 and increase cd to 18 seconds.

Marks shouldn't be blocked by default. Seriously how do you block a mark? Makes no sense really. Reapers mark needs a 35 second cd.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-10-11 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Shit ton of dagger well power builds. Staff being used as a support ranged weapon.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...cus-and-wells/
    Thanks. Guess I just wasn't looking at the right sites. >_< I was beginning to wonder if dagger & wells were considered a good combo.

You could use axe but I find axe redundant. It's cripple move also gives you retaliation... well then whats the point of cripple?
    Because not all enemies use 100% melee weapons. The Cripple counters melee, and the Retaliation... well, it doesn't counter ranged attacks, but it does help against them a bit.

Also: Weird to use a Wells build with Daggers. O_o
    I always found Spectral skills better for Daggers.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Because not all enemies use 100% melee weapons. The Cripple counters melee, and the Retaliation... well, it doesn't counter ranged attacks, but it does help against them a bit.

Also: Weird to use a Wells build with Daggers. O_o
    I always found Spectral skills better for Daggers.
    Imo retaliation for necros does little since I think there is only 3 ways to gain it. I still think skill 3 is awful.

Also wells and daggers feel natural to me, maybe because I started out with it.

Is there a good Wells build that doesn't use staff? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but staff dps seems terrible.
    Staff DPS is good, but just when using the marks. It's more of a swap weapon to me, pop the marks and swap back.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I love daggers, but the only dagger build I can find relies heavily on minions. There don't seem to be any dagger/Wells builds, at least not that I've found.
    Staff being able to piece enemies is a big part of my AoEing when being in melee simply cannot do. Though I'm guilty of using minions as well. They're just too good

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Staff DPS is good, but just when using the marks. It's more of a swap weapon to me, pop the marks and swap back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    Staff being able to piece enemies is a big part of my AoEing when being in melee simply cannot do. Though I'm guilty of using minions as well. They're just too good
    Like I said, maybe I'm doing it wrong. When it comes to AoE situations I better hope my Wells are off cooldown or that there's someone else around to help because there's no way I'll be able to kill multiple mobs using staff without coming close to dying. I actually do better killing things one by one with dagger in AoE situations than trying to do it with staff.

I don't know, I just hate it. I went with this build for event farming and I have never felt so gimp. Sure, it's great for getting hits on things when there are lots of people around, but when that's not the case (those "Where did everybody go?" moments) it's just awful.

Speaking of minions, I've been tempted to try this build, but I just love the Wells so much I'm not sure I want to give them up to become a zookeeper.

Grunt
    hey i would just like to run my build pased you guys and see what you think ( it's not made to be the best spec possible but rather fun one)
    i started out playing my necro as condition dmg purley with the scepte + dagger / staff build. in end game i found this to be just so boring so i decided to swap

NOTE: this build is mostly tested in WvW since thats where im usually at. i have played a few dungeons and it has not been a problem but can't garantue it will not be.

Minion master melee build. POWER AND CRIT BUILD!
    Link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQUQRBI...LRGYcwYzxDjJGA

let me start of with talking about the weapon choice.

weapons: dagger + dagger / axe + warhorn.
    the daggers are extremly fast hitting and i like the dmg from them. + using my build i get hp back per hit from the second tier passive blood trait.
    so my daggers are my main dps weapons. i use the axe + warhorn becuase the axe's ( this is bugged or was i belive ) main weapon hit applies vurnability to targets. and using two runes that gives you autocrit and 3 stacks of might when i swap to the weapon combo does not hurt.

second, the build it self.
    i noticed quite early that i could not go and make a melee build without the pets. I tried with just dmg using wells and stuff but it didn't work. So i swaped to pets and BOOM!. Now the trait skills are mainly focused on the pets except the 20points in the blood tree for vamp and life steal.
    The first to trait slots in the death build are obvious becuase it gives your pets 50% more hp that allows them to survive a hell of alot more and the 20% faster recharge rate is nice aswell. But the last ability is another level of fun, each time your pet dies it will do massive dmg to targets standing in the zone. This and that the bone minions ( i call them boom rats ) own suicide bombing makes about ~3k to 3.5k dmg each. What i see people forget alot of the times is that the other pets have abilites aswell. blind and immobilize is quite nice for situations and the Flesh golem charge is not that bad.
    For the heal ability i choose to use consume conditions since i belive it's the best heal of them except in aoe heal situations ofc.

lastly the runes.
    For the weapon runes i use 2x superior blood runes on the daggers since i crit alot. the axe and warhorn has sigl of superior battle and intelligence for the buffs they add.
    On the gear i use the Rune of the mesmer for power and crit. And when it comes to the accessories and rings and so forth it's all about the berserker's jewel!

PROS AND CONS ( from what i have experienced )

PROS.

high dmg on melee targets ( i don't have so much troubles with warriors and such )

okayish survivability from the various life leach sources.

easy to configurate the build to certain needs (for example swaping to staffs without feeling that the damage goes poof)

pets!

CONS.

not so great at long ranges for obvious reasons.

rather boring to defend a keep in WvW since you don't really do great on walls.

theifs :/

Would like more survivablity but can be fixed with higher vit and toughness.

END words.
    please say what you think about the build either way! i like to get some thoughts on it atleast!

Like I said, maybe I'm doing it wrong. When it comes to AoE situations I better hope my Wells are off cooldown or that there's someone else around to help because there's no way I'll be able to kill multiple mobs using staff without coming close to dying. I actually do better killing things one by one with dagger in AoE situations than trying to do it with staff.

I don't know, I just hate it. I went with this build for event farming and I have never felt so gimp. Sure, it's great for getting hits on things when there are lots of people around, but when that's not the case (those "Where did everybody go?" moments) it's just awful.

Speaking of minions, I've been tempted to try this build, but I just love the Wells so much I'm not sure I want to give them up to become a zookeeper.
    I posted a build earlier in this thread that might be of some help. I AoE massive mobs with this build when farming with much ease.

You don't want to use staff as your main weapon, but it's a great filler. Combo fields are amazing with the staff. The staff offers great utility, it's really a must-have for me. Dagger/Wells builds are out there, but they aren't that great. There are better builds, honestly. My main problem with the dagger is the fact you're in melee range, and it makes you incredibly vulnerable. For PvP that's not a huge issue, as you're probably in melee range most of the time anyway, but in PvE, it can be awful unless you're really good at dodging.

It's cripple move also gives you retaliation... well then whats the point of cripple? The retaliation is going to be wasted from kiting.
    Because not everything you want to cripple is limited to 150 range or that cripple is not just there to kite, for example you can use it to stop an opponent in WvW from fleeing or to keep a ranged class (a 1200 ranged class) in your 600 axe range, or you are fighting multiple mobs and realiation is always good for that.

Herald of the Titans Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Isn't Scepter/Focus with condition/power a good build as well? Especially for PVE.

PS. Reviving thread
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

"It was never about the hardcore vs casual player.... It was always about the solo vs socialite player"

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Isn't Scepter/Focus with condition/power a good build as well? Especially for PVE.

PS. Reviving thread
    If you are main scepter, condition/crit over conditon/power. You have a 66% chance per crit to stack another bleed. Focus isn't enough of a use to stack power for scepter since you really want the conditions it gives rather then it's damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post

PS. Reviving thread
    Nah, you want scepter/dagger and staff. Dagger offers much more to a condition build.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Nah, you want scepter/dagger and staff. Dagger offers much more to a condition build.
    Yeah changed it today. I can't believe just how many specs that are in this game for necro. I can do a scepter/focus build for pvp and it will also be effective.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

"It was never about the hardcore vs casual player.... It was always about the solo vs socialite player"

Last edited by Cempa; 2012-11-12 at 07:23 PM.

Does anyone know which is the most optimum dps spec for necromancers in dungeons? Is it the scepter/dagger with condition/precision build?

I'm not sure yet, the damage is ok but you don't really add much to the group.

I am definately hoping alot will change for necro builds in the upcoming patch, so I would wait for that until you gear up.
    Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 - CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.3 GHz - CPU Cooler: Zulaman CNPS10X Performa with 2 coolers -Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H - Memory: 2x Corsair 4 GB DDR3 - GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X - Monitor 1: Asus VE247H- Monitor 2: Acer X243W
    PlayStation 4 Username: Blattardos - games: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - BF4 - Infamous Second Son - The Last Of Us Remastered

Might stacking Scepter/Dagger

I'm using all Power / Precision / Crit gear, double daggers and a staff. So far it's working out for me in both PvE and PvP / WvW.