Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raht View Post

I also can't wrap my head around "it looks so horrible..." The graphics are actually quite beautiful and well-done. In Diablo 2 there are some brilliant and absolutely remarkable aesthetics, and most of the same applies to 1.
    On the original resolution yeah. But when its stretched onto a 24'' monitor? Not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The millions of copies of Torchlight sold would like to have a word with you. While Torchlight is definately not as good as D2 IMO. Its not crap. The sales and continued sales prove that false. Torchlight is a great d-crawler, it is missing some heavy difficulty and multi player, which is why the above poster may deem it crap. Other than that, its a good game and the engine runs flawlessly on older machines, and it looks great.
    Sale numbers mean very little, when you can't track how many people continue playing after initial purchase. I bought the game, but I stopped playing after the first couple of hours, and I know there are many many others like me.

Maybe my initial comment about Torchlight was a bit over the top. Some people really like it; which is fine, to each his own. But in comparison to Diablo 2, Torchlight doesn't compare in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by tommerbob View Post
    Sale numbers mean very little, when you can't track how many people continue playing after initial purchase. I bought the game, but I stopped playing after the first couple of hours, and I know there are many many others like me.

Maybe my initial comment about Torchlight was a bit over the top. Some people really like it; which is fine, to each his own. But in comparison to Diablo 2, Torchlight doesn't compare in any way.
    Proof? None. Torchlight is leaps and bounds better than D2 in terms of playability, UI, and graphics. I fully expect Torchlight 2 to be an improvement on a great first release.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

I highly recommend going through at least diablo 2 once for the story. It's also a very fun game. People who hate the graphics must not have been around in the commodore days

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Proof? None. Torchlight is leaps and bounds better than D2 in terms of playability, UI, and graphics. I fully expect Torchlight 2 to be an improvement on a great first release.
    Playability is terrible thanks to repetetivness on greater magnitude than Diablo 2, talent trees are crap, loot is changed every few levels (yeah, uniques are worthless), UI is a mess and graphics are terrible (only improvement is that it is 3d and I dont have pixelated mess instead of face). Even Runic said that they made this turd just to get some quick money and look, sheep flock to it just because "original minds behind diablo" made it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    D2 easily the best game ever created as far as playability. I have probably poured years of my life into it, WoW can't even compare.

Not being able to get past the graphics of a game makes me kind of laugh I'll be honest. How much do you stand to potentially miss out on because of vanity.
    Lets remove the nostalgia filter here, D2 was full of crap and baal runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    I still play it, can't say the same about any other game after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    Kind of a personal/subjective question...

Personally, I don't think D2 ever held up well. The game was great for a bit, but I find it really hard to play, even 5 or so years ago, because it looks so horrible...

I recommend you play some Titan's Quest, if you want newer (but not as good looking, or as feature/variety rich), try Torchlight...

-Alamar
    lol you dismiss D2 and advise him Titan's Quest haha. this must be a very bad joke.
    Anyway if you play D2 remember it is hard and you can bind spell (with F1 F2 etc, town portal is bindable as well) and your potion are bound on 1 to 4. W is to switch weapon sets, you can put the map on transparent and shift+clic make you buy faster. Enjoy, this is a very good game but pretty hard. I advise you lan mode and a software to reset your talent points not to cheat but in case you make a mistake.)

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 08:32 PM ----------

D2 easily the best game ever created as far as playability. I have probably poured years of my life into it, WoW can't even compare.

Not being able to get past the graphics of a game makes me kind of laugh I'll be honest. How much do you stand to potentially miss out on because of vanity.
    exactly. Diablo 2 could easily stand for the best 2D game of the 90s, or ever. The story, the musics, the sounds, the monsters, every things is so great about it. Only problem with this game is the potion spam and the scroll of identity spam, everything else makes for one of the best gaming experience.
    Last edited by braxx; 2012-02-26 at 07:32 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    D2 is amazing. I poured years of my life into that game, and while I don't play it like I did.. I occasionally will hop on it and play it for a couple of weeks before stopping. That's not nostalgia, I still play the game and it's that old.

It's the same when people cite that people like FF6 or Chrono Trigger over the newer generation RPGs or "3D" ones if you will because of nostalgia. When most of us who like these games still play them from time to time, whether it be emulators.

Not all of us value graphics over game play. I'll take a game with superior game play over improved graphics any day. Of course I like to have both but it's not going to stop me from enjoying a well made game, even by today's standards.

D2 is great. The graphics and resolution are for sure shit, but it still isn't that bad when you consider that it's 2D. I find it hard to play NES games because the 2D is shit, but SNES has good 2D graphics. Playing N64 is tough because the 3D is full of blocks, but playing things that are the generation above it is a lot easier. Sure D2 is shit in the graphical department OVERALL, but it's not bad 2D and has a style about it that makes it okay to jump back into.

Still game play > graphics any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I play D2 in windowed mode, everything looks so stretched in widescreen mode. Especially cosidering D2 doesn't go higher yhan 800x600.
    But the gameplay is simply amazing.
    Well there are resolution mods out there for D2 but i dont know if b.net likes them (only played via tcp/ip these days)

Graphic junkies are only that. Newer-generation gamers tend to be that way. Nothing we can do, but my favorite games of all time are even older than D2.

Deleted
    D2 is an awesome game maybe not for graphics but its really nice not to many quests either per map only thing i find bad with D2 is the third map since its so boring otherwise the other 4 maps i think it is are pretty fun and definitly worth 10 euros to just play trough.
    Should not tunnel graphics to much i rather play a game that feels nice and fun to play rather then a game with insane good looks into it.

the only thing bad about diablo 1 and 2 in my eyes is the fact that the graphics are going to be way out dated. other then that they are both still very good games.

Deleted
    Both are still awesome games to play. And to be honest, I really like the graphics (but then again I like the graphics of Dwarf Fortress too) =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Eh? Diablo II is one of the best games ever made; people still play it 11 years later. I still play it at times as well. It definitely was not full of crap. Imho I wouldn't play Torchlight if you can choose D2, it's an okay game but the one dungeon design gets tiring fast. Diablo II is simply a lot better where replayability is concerned and has a lot more interesting classes.

Whether it will disappoint people or not. I don't know. The graphics are very outdated, and it might be hard to get into for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Torchlight is leaps and bounds better than D2 in terms of playability, UI, and graphics. I fully expect Torchlight 2 to be an improvement on a great first release.
    Proof? None. You see what I did there?

After reading this thread I actually tried Torchlight.

Diablo II is leaps and bounds better.

It's all opinions. Honestly, this community feels a little toxic sometimes. I might as well throw my opinion in there too though. D1 is slow as hell and is more of a museum piece than a game. D2 is the current standard of the genre. I don't know about TQ and TL and don't care.

I have played a lot of dungeon crawlers and the only game that comes close to Diablo 2 for me was the original Dungeon Siege.

Also really liked Nox and Champions of Norrath.

Played...

Torchlight
    Titan's Quest
    Divine Divinity
    Sacred
    Throne of Darkness

While these games were decent, they all seemed to lack the draw that D2 and Dungeon Siege had, and i found that i was often forcing myself to play just so i could reach the finish and be done with them.

Personally none of these games (especially Torchlight and Titan's Quest) are even half as addictive or fun as Diablo 2.
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2012-02-28 at 07:24 PM.

D2 is great. I still go back from time to time.

Not sure what everyone's complaint about the graphics is - it looks fine on my 24" screen.

Aesthetics > graphics.