1. #2161
    I mostly see pve builds here now in the recent posts. However, I could use some advice for spvp. Tried the more glass cannon builds with shattering, some version with sword/sword and staff and another with sword/pistol and staff. However, Im not really comfortable with being glass... backstab thiefs and those elementalist sure enjoy a good mesmer roaming. So, I want to get a bit more survival going but seems hard to find any good builds out there. My role in tournaments is mainly base defending and supporting other bases with portal, and in that role glass doesn't really feel right. Any tips and tricks would be helpful, would be friendly if someone put some useful builds up
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  2. #2162
    Brewmaster Salech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,396
    Well, scepter/sword gives 2 blocks with the trait that gives retaliation you can do quite well, as for secondary weapon(s) Greatsword has knockback/cripple, Sword has Blurred Frenzy, Focus has Temporal curtain, staff can be good too i just don't like it personally all good defensive abiiltes there.

    What i do though is Sword/pistol with Scepter/sword, Trait for Retaliation on block with some extra boon duration.

    As for utilities a stun breaker is essential ofcourse, i use Blink for that with reduced cooldown.

    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...GM0GGGaVcckMmM

    In Inspiration you can change Mender's Purity too Wardens Feedback if you see a lot of ranged, Also Arcane thievery can be substituted for Feedback if you want, I just like Arcane tievery.

    Well that's what i use anyway, might not work for every one.


    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...70m7kId7owZ70m And that is what i use for PvE.

  3. #2163
    a leveling sword / gsword mesmer should not focus on cond dmg, right?

  4. #2164
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    a leveling sword / gsword mesmer should not focus on cond dmg, right?
    Considering sword hits don't apply poison, fire, Confusion, or Bleed, that's very true.

    Power, Precision, Crit Damage are all what you're looking forward to for damage increases.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  5. #2165
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,296
    I'm having a hard time deciding on a pve build.

    I absolutely love the staff, especially for explorables, but the excruciatingly slow auto-attack projectile is utter shit for tagging mobs in zergs for karma/wvw, and condition damage gear is only really utilized with a staff diminishing weapon swapping purpose.

    I like GS, it has probably the best potential single target dps out of all possible mesmer builds, but it doesn't support nearly as well as staff and it lacks many things like a decent aoe. Other professions can do much more (damage and support and survivability) while giving up far less. I'm also not a fan of the range restriction.

    1h sword is my biggest complaint. The damage it utterly shit given that a squishy gets into melee. They could double the damage and it still wouldn't be a must weapon choice. In pvp it is great for semi-decent burst and invincibility, but in pve the only attractive thing for me is the cleave, which again other professions can do so much better without any effort or risk.

    Scepter I don't ever want to use since the auto-attack is ridiculously slow and hits like a wet noodle, not to mention it's range and the laughable rate at which is produces illusions. Confusion in pve is a silly idea anyways.

    Staff is really what I want to use, but I can't figure out how I what secondary weapon(s) I could go for that compliment a condition damage gear and build, exluding the scepter. I feel like going for power/precision GS/1sword is the most efficient and well rounded choice, as it also has better shatter damage which really is our only semi-reliable aoe on a 15s cooldown..

  6. #2166
    High Overlord Marn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    165
    I'm enjoying playing a GS/shatter build going 20/20/0/0/30; i had been using a phantasm(staff) build of 10/15/0/25/20 and felt like my warlocks were tearing champion monsters apart, but really I'm completely open to any suggestions or advice on the best way to be useful in a dungeon. Outside of damage, I figure having Null Field and/or Illusion of Life are pretty great support utilities, and substitute in Feedback for IoL vs mobs who throw lots of projectile spells. Can't remember what tree made "glamours" have a lower cooldown but I think I should maybe look into investing in that trait...Feedback has like a 45 second base cooldown right?

  7. #2167
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'm having a hard time deciding on a pve build.

    I absolutely love the staff, especially for explorables, but the excruciatingly slow auto-attack projectile is utter shit for tagging mobs in zergs for karma/wvw, and condition damage gear is only really utilized with a staff diminishing weapon swapping purpose.

    I like GS, it has probably the best potential single target dps out of all possible mesmer builds, but it doesn't support nearly as well as staff and it lacks many things like a decent aoe. Other professions can do much more (damage and support and survivability) while giving up far less. I'm also not a fan of the range restriction.

    1h sword is my biggest complaint. The damage it utterly shit given that a squishy gets into melee. They could double the damage and it still wouldn't be a must weapon choice. In pvp it is great for semi-decent burst and invincibility, but in pve the only attractive thing for me is the cleave, which again other professions can do so much better without any effort or risk.

    Scepter I don't ever want to use since the auto-attack is ridiculously slow and hits like a wet noodle, not to mention it's range and the laughable rate at which is produces illusions. Confusion in pve is a silly idea anyways.

    Staff is really what I want to use, but I can't figure out how I what secondary weapon(s) I could go for that compliment a condition damage gear and build, exluding the scepter. I feel like going for power/precision GS/1sword is the most efficient and well rounded choice, as it also has better shatter damage which really is our only semi-reliable aoe on a 15s cooldown..
    I got the same dilemma more or less. But the staff feels just too slow...

  8. #2168
    Okay Mesmers, I have a question. I just started a Mesmer about a week or so ago. She's level 25 now. What is a good build for leveling/dungeons? Which weapons are best? Right now I'm using GS/Staff.

  9. #2169
    I'll be honest. I'm a ranger but I have a lvl 60 mesmer so I'll share what I know and use.

    I use a more supportive build, for dungeons. I don't change too much for leveling because I'm lazy but it doesn't seem to be a problem to level either.

    I use Staff + Scepter+Torch.

    20/0/30/0/20

    Domination I get: Rending Shatter to help with Vuln. And Cleansing Conflagration to make my torch even more supportive.
    Chaos: Ilusionary Defense for survival, Chaotic Dempening for more survival and more staff usage, and Chaotic Interruption to apply condition when Chaos Storm interrupts someone (quite often).
    Illusions: Master of Misdirection for more confuse dmg, and Ilusionary Elasticity to make the staff 1 bounce more for more conditions.

    For heal is Ether Feast.
    For the Utility is very..varied since they all can be good at support. I usually take the Signet of Domination, Null Field and Decoy. For nice dmg, support and survival. But I always change specially on dungeons.

    Elite is always either Time Warp or Moa. Just depend on the fight.

    I think how to use the Staff+Scepter+torch is not too hard, but if you need help with what to use and when just shout.

    ----------

    The last 5 points of Chaos are not really set in stone, the 25 is very useful as it will transfer toughness to condition damage. So you can play around with those points if you wish.

    Again. I'm far from knowing too much about Mesmer, but that's what I roll and It's been fun and effective.

  10. #2170
    for solo leveling, does not a condition staff / scepter torch slow you down somehow? I imagine the slow casting of the staff / scepter must factor in somehow. but in truth, at lv 80, for dungeons, that sounds nice.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 06:24 PM ----------

    and related to ranger, I also have a ranger that I abandoned for now because it feels too easy: switching from ranged to a melee, with the ranger, feels much better than it feels with the mesmer. But maybe my mesmer`s armors is much worse than that of the ranger... and the sword is worse?... they are not same level yet, but that`s how I feel for now.

  11. #2171
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    for solo leveling, does not a condition staff / scepter torch slow you down somehow? I imagine the slow casting of the staff / scepter must factor in somehow. but in truth, at lv 80, for dungeons, that sounds nice.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-18 at 06:24 PM ----------

    and related to ranger, I also have a ranger that I abandoned for now because it feels too easy: switching from ranged to a melee, with the ranger, feels much better than it feels with the mesmer. But maybe my mesmer`s armors is much worse than that of the ranger... and the sword is worse?... they are not same level yet, but that`s how I feel for now.
    Ill be honest. I have not been leveling him too much, usually with my gf. But I did solo with him several times, might not be Optimal but certainly isn't too bad. You can adjust the traits for a more damage base (Like the 20% more dmg from the first shatt.). So yeah, it's slower than what you can do with other weapons, but if you do it right you can detonate enemies pretty quick.

    Yeah the thing about the mesmer melee mainly (sword) is that it's all about reaction. Something must be done to you, to better use them. Sometimes that's bad XD, cause you wait for it and nothing comes. While ranger is more...go get and persue the enemy. And much of the survival of the mesmer comes from the shatterer and the number 2 sword, and using a pistol offhand helps alot with CC

  12. #2172
    what traits are the best for PvE staff Mesmer??

    and what skill from this traits are the most important for him?

  13. #2173
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,296
    I did some testing with full berserker's and passive offensive traits on different professions, and I think I figured out what is bugging me so much about mesmers: the 1h sword auto attack. It scales incredibly poorly for a melee weapon. Very very poorly. Being the only "strong" melee cleave we have I am very disappointed. I think I am going to suck it up and put some more effort into my elementalist.

    Funnily enough the highest DPS I got was from necro dagger, even higher than a warrior GS!

  14. #2174
    Stood in the Fire Cyphran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SK
    Posts
    361
    That staff sceptre torch build can pump out some chronic AoE damage.

    I tend to open with a few melee attacks to collect mobs, I drop a Chaos Storm on them, I hit 2 for the clone then pop my double clone skill following which I hit cry of frustration to apply 8stack confusion to everything. I call my warlock then switch to the sceptre and torch and call the mage for retaliation. Then I pop Prestige to apply a 1.8k burn.

    Not much survives that.

    Build is 0-0-25-15-30.
    Gear is Power Toughness Vitality with 6 runes of the undead. Traits give 5% of toughness as condition damage and Undead runes give another 5% of toughness as condition damage.

  15. #2175
    maybe it`s a begginer question, but here goes:

    are Clones only good if you blow them up? I am level 25 and the clones still do 0 dmg. I am interested from a pve point of view.

    Thank you.

  16. #2176
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    maybe it`s a begginer question, but here goes:

    are Clones only good if you blow them up? I am level 25 and the clones still do 0 dmg. I am interested from a pve point of view.

    Thank you.
    Clones are good for 3 things. *even more maybe *

    1 Confuse enemies. (I think enemies in pve attack the "wrong" you just as it happens in pvp).
    2 Keep them up. (There are plenty of traits that gives you a bonus for each illusion up (which means clone or phantasm) like doing more damage, taking less damage or even moving quicker.
    3 - Blow them up. (That you knew).

    Now if you have a phantasm up (that actually does damage), you should keep him for the dps blow him up if the CD for him is ready.

    Fyi: Clones looks just like you but don't do damage, Phantasm are faded (meaning it's not 100% like you to confuse enemies) but they do alot of damage.

  17. #2177
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Clones are good for 3 things. *even more maybe *

    1 Confuse enemies. (I think enemies in pve attack the "wrong" you just as it happens in pvp).
    2 Keep them up. (There are plenty of traits that gives you a bonus for each illusion up (which means clone or phantasm) like doing more damage, taking less damage or even moving quicker.
    3 - Blow them up. (That you knew).

    Now if you have a phantasm up (that actually does damage), you should keep him for the dps blow him up if the CD for him is ready.

    Fyi: Clones looks just like you but don't do damage, Phantasm are faded (meaning it's not 100% like you to confuse enemies) but they do alot of damage.
    Clones can also "crit" even though they may do still only 0 damage, and there's a trait under dueling that inflicts bleeding when illusions(which includes both clones and phantasms) crit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  18. #2178
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Clones can also "crit" even though they may do still only 0 damage, and there's a trait under dueling that inflicts bleeding when illusions(which includes both clones and phantasms) crit.
    If you want to go bleed stacking the best way is sadly stacking a shitton of crit and keep 3 GS clones up.

    Also trying to fit the torch in a pve build is hard because its so.... damn... awful...

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 10:22 PM ----------

    I haven't done a build in awhile so here is something for you tank lovers!

    http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mes...031|0|0|0|0|0|

    This is... dun dun dun the clone tank build!

    Your main weapons here are sword and torch with blood and water sigils. You will be stacking knights gear for toughness and you should have around 18k hp via traits which is acceptable with the amount of toughness you will be getting and blood sigil should cover the rest of the vitality you don't have.

    Clerics gear would be optional of healing power scaled to something.... decent, but it doesn't so that is that.

    The main strategy is filling every single illusion slot with something. Try to avoid shatters unless its the daze (for interrupt which half the time you won't need) and distortion. Your main clone generating will come from dodging. Dodge every time your dodge bar reaches full to create a new clone. The reason being is you will be rolling stacks of vigor thanks to critical infusion. So don't waste clone producing!.

    Now on to weapon specifics. Why sword? Because scepter is crap in this scenario. The main focus is having mobs focus your clones, each hit on your clone is one less hit on you and your party members. So that also leaves out staff and GS as they don't have much survivability for melee in this case.

    Why torch? I mean torch... come on... we all laughed at it. I still laugh at it, but that stealth even though on a long cd can force a mob to stop attacking you and attack your clone instead. With the torch trait it has a shorter cd plus Image becomes a phantasmal disenchanter! Though it still sucks. Don't be using Image on cd. Only use when minor conditions are going out and when you do use it. Dodge roll back then summon it so it is not in melee so it will not die super fast.

    Offhand weapons? Scepter/Sword is what I am going with. The blocks make more clones and if timed right can save you if you are out of energy for dodges or if dodging won't get you far enough. Staff also works here if you prefer it in fact it is probably better in aoe situations.

    Now for utility. Since you will be having all clone spaces filled up ether feast is a no brainer, providing max healing which you will need. Phantasmal defender will save your life and reduce damage you and your clones and any other party members near him will take. Don't summon more then 1 at a time because it will bug out and not absorb anything however most of the time it'll die before its cd is reset. That last utility slot is up to you, I took null field for a group cleanse however you can take something else.

    The traits are self explanatory.

    Sigils are blood and water, which I feel are a necessity in melee imo. Blood will be healing you, water will be healing your clones and party members near you.

    Doing some reading it seems rune of the vampirsm heals for the amount of damage you did with that attack. So this will be the rune of choice, however once I get more money I will test it.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-10-22 at 11:33 PM.

  19. #2179
    Arcane Thievery: This skill now appropriately removes the aegis boon rather than being blocked by it.
    Confusing Images: This skill has been updated to fire at its correct distance.
    Cry of Frustration: This skill’s tooltip now accurately shows that confusion it applies lasts for 3 seconds.
    Mirror of Anguish: This trait no longer functions on necromancers when they have Reaper’s Protection active.
    Phantasmal Warlock: This illusion’s recharge between attacks is now slightly longer.
    Phase Retreat: This skill should no longer teleport players into geometry or other places they shouldn’t be getting into.
    Scepter Skills: Projectile skills for the scepter have had their velocity increased by 33%.

    New patch notes for mesmers...

    The good news is hopefully this means no more teleporting into walls whilst using phase retreat ^^

  20. #2180
    Let's hope the Phase Retreat fix also works with Illusionary Leap's "Swap" skill too. Thievery's fixed. About damn time.

    Warlock's been nerfed, but it does nothing to change just how tanky the Staff actually is. That Scepter update... the slow attack speed isn't complete butts anymore. Still lacking a real purpose (y u no confuse!), but at least they're acknowledging that it's the worst weapon by far.

    Edit: At least the animation is fun to watch and looks really pretty now that it's, you know, actually moving. But as a heads up, it still waits for the hit to land before it changes over to the next one in the chain, it hasn't been coded differently just sped up. But given the speed of the projectile now, it's a much smoother move over, even at max range.

    Still no update on a good chunk of our Phantasm traits not working correctly:
    • Phantasmal Fury/Vengeful Phantasms/Phantasmal Healing conflicting with eachother and not refreshing properly.
    • Phantasmal Haste still not triggering on several of our Phantasms
    • And of course, clones still not using Offhands,or showing Map Completion Icons...



    Another Edit:
    • Updated the stability boon to stack duration up to 3 times.
    So that Mantra suddenly looks like less ass. Blow two charges (or three charges) and lolz may infact ensue.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-10-23 at 08:33 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •