10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine that the Shatter effect applying to yourself means that you "explode" for damage and whatever other effects shattering is supposed to do.

That trait would be really really good for a Sword/X mesmer.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

ty, i figured as much but wasnt sure if someone in beta new for sure

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I imagine that the Shatter effect applying to yourself means that you "explode" for damage and whatever other effects shattering is supposed to do.

That trait would be really really good for a Sword/X mesmer.
    Any shatter spec Mesmer it would be good for

I really hope we get a UI for Clones come release. It would be handy being able to see your clone's CD's as well as have them be sent in for Shattering. Kind of pointless if they Shatter and nobody is even near them. Even more important, having the ability to target another person without having to summon new clones.
    Last edited by nighties; 2012-04-02 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post

I really hope we get a UI for Clones come release. It would be handy being able to see your clone's CD's as well as have them be sent in for Shattering. Kind of pointless if they Shatter and nobody is even near them. Even more important, having the ability to target another person without having to summon new clones.
    i agree, i wanna play a shatter speced mesmer, if the clones dont run to the target to shatter that would be meh :/
    build i wanna go http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#m;kkf...efa;ZaYW;YXdiY
    Last edited by bloodronin; 2012-04-02 at 02:23 PM. Reason: wanted to add

10+ Year Old Account

When you click the shatter button they'll run into Melee range of your target before going KaBoom except for the one that applies the defensive buff that one just kinda shatters wherever they are... An phantasms are only ones with CDs all the other ones use tour 1 skill
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    When you click the shatter button they'll run into Melee range of your target before going KaBoom except for the one that applies the defensive buff that one just kinda shatters wherever they are... An phantasms are only ones with CDs all the other ones use tour 1 skill
    Different locations dictates that clones will be running in 1 by 1 and Shatter. If we had the ability to send them all in at once, however, and then choose when to shatter, it gives us a better control of the burst damage as Shatter spec's aim to be. Moreover, the UI would also help us in situations when you want to send in your Clones first before engaging yourself to throw the enemy off guard or just want more options as to what to do with a Clone besides standing still and auto-attacking (If they're standing in AoE, for example).

Clones are basically temporary Pets so why not imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Different locations dictates that clones will be running in 1 by 1 and Shatter. If we had the ability to send them all in at once, however, and then choose when to shatter, it gives us a better control of the burst damage as Shatter spec's aim to be. Moreover, the UI would also help us in situations when you want to send in your Clones first before engaging yourself to throw the enemy off guard or just want more options as to what to do with a Clone besides standing still and auto-attacking (If they're standing in AoE, for example).

Clones are basically temporary Pets so why not imo
    But you can't make a clone without a target with the exception of the dodge roll ones who won't do anything without a target.... In other words you can't send them in first because their made in combat, and they could just be given AI to avoid aoes IE dodge roll out, it'd be simpler and a LOT more effective seeing as they die in all 2 hits
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

But you can't make a clone without a target with the exception of the dodge roll ones who won't do anything without a target.... In other words you can't send them in first because their made in combat, and they could just be given AI to avoid aoes IE dodge roll out, it'd be simpler and a LOT more effective seeing as they die in all 2 hits
    No you're seeing the possibilities all wrong. If given a UI, you can change their target. So say you see someone coming, you dodge and have them go in first. Alternatively, you can sneak up on people and have them targeted without them knowing, turn a corner and summon your clone, and send them in first.

They're also not necessarily made in Combat. About 39 seconds in. The clones he made just stayed still, however. If we had a UI we could set them on follow or if an enemy showed up we can select the command to attack/ run in for shatters. Same thing with AoE's.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you're seeing the possibilities all wrong. If given a UI, you can change their target. So say you see someone coming, you dodge and have them go in first. Alternatively, you can sneak up on people and have them targeted without them knowing, turn a corner and summon your clone, and send them in first.

They're also not necessarily made in Combat. About 39 seconds in. The clones he made just stayed still, however. If we had a UI we could set them on follow or if an enemy showed up we can select the command to attack/ run in for shatters. Same thing with AoE's.

You're lookin at the clones all wrong, you're thinking their some physical thing where they're, according to anet, just in your targets mind, that's why they ONLY attack the targe you were targeting at time of summon and die on their death, they aren't real c they're illusions. And there's plenty of videos of them being created out of combat but they all just stand there, don't move, and don't attack even when someone runs over, which means they're probably not supposed to even spawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The more videos I watch, the more I worry about Mesmers just being another DPS caster. The shatters in that video just did sooooo much damage, it's hard to see clones as anything but shatter-bots rather than having any real strategic usage as decoys.
    Well seeing as how mesmers have pretty much no defense other then those decoys they'll be forced to not shatter them constantly or they'll be easy targets

10+ Year Old Account
    Illusions aren't a great "defense" atm for two reasons.
    1: They take 3 seconds to actually be summoned.
    2: They don't drop target.

They'd be a better defense if you could swap with your clones at random, forcing your enemies to be targeting a fake clone.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 12:18 PM ----------

I don't doubt that it would be good for any Shatter spec mesmer, but I was saying that a Sword/X mesmer would often already be standing next to enemies. Perhaps even a Scepter/X mesmer could make good use of it since it's still fairly short range. A Staff mesmer would have to actually run into the target with his illusions, not to mention the delay of his illusions running in even without that trait.

I just feel like that the best shatter-spec Mesmers will be close-range fighters.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-02 at 05:19 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't doubt that it would be good for any Shatter spec mesmer, but I was saying that a Sword/X mesmer would often already be standing next to enemies. Perhaps even a Scepter/X mesmer could make good use of it since it's still fairly short range. A Staff mesmer would have to actually run into the target with his illusions, not to mention the delay of his illusions running in even without that trait.

I just feel like that the best shatter-spec Mesmers will be close-range fighters.
    Well if you are a staff mesmer and are focusing on killing your target, but are getting focused by another melee, your shatter will affect your clone target and anyone near you ... so it's not a complete waste. But I agree it is definitely much more situational than if you are sword slashing in the thick of it already.

But yet Shatters can hit multiple targets?
    Last edited by nighties; 2012-04-03 at 01:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But yet Shatters can hit multiple targets?
    you're using your chaos magic to cause big explosions? the shatters in GW1 hit multiple people too and they were cast by ripping off a hex from one target, i see no reason why shattering an illusion (which are supposed to be the GW2 version of hexes) would be any different.

You're lookin at the clones all wrong, you're thinking their some physical thing where they're, according to anet, just in your targets mind, that's why they ONLY attack the targe you were targeting at time of summon and die on their death, they aren't real c they're illusions. And there's plenty of videos of them being created out of combat but they all just stand there, don't move, and don't attack even when someone runs over, which means they're probably not supposed to even spawn.
    you're using your chaos magic to cause big explosions? the shatters in GW1 hit multiple people too and they were cast by ripping off a hex from one target, i see no reason why shattering an illusion (which are supposed to be the GW2 version of hexes) would be any different.
    Your argument against multiple people seeing and thusly Clones being unable to switch targets is based on the bold line. If they are indeed just in one target's mind, how is it possible multiple people can see and feel their destruction? This is ludicrous. Obviously they're actually physical forms. Otherwise they'd only be seen by one person, which imo, isn't a bad trade off considering it'll be less likely the clones will be attacked. However, this is not the case. Giving them a UI just allows players to micro-manage their Clones to avoid such uncontrollable circumstances.

Your argument against multiple people seeing and thusly Clones being unable to switch targets is based on the bold line. If they are indeed just in one target's mind, how is it possible multiple people can see and feel their destruction? This is ludicrous. Obviously they're actually physical forms. Otherwise they'd only be seen by one person, which imo, isn't a bad trade off considering it'll be less likely the clones will be attacked. However, this is not the case. Giving them a UI just allows players to micro-manage their Clones to avoid such uncontrollable circumstances.

Physiologically clones and illusions are not real, however they attack your state of mind to feel real, in essence if you can overcome the illusion it won't have any effect on you even if you can see them. Though because this is a game and not real life you will never overcome the illusions. Illusions produce no physical damage, only mental.

You ever been in the desert and you see a mirage of water? You go and drink the water but in reality you are just drinking sand however your brain makes it seem like you are actually drinking water.

Currently, illusions don't need a UI. We are not a pet class. They serve the purpose of confusion and given how it's so easy to summon clones and illusions we don't need a UI to switch targets, just make new ones.

However clones and illusions still need loads of work. Watching the new eng PvP video, it was quite obvious who the real mesmer was, clones didn't drop the target and the engineer had no problem finding the real mesmer. Currently clones are just for shatters, they not really effective at confusing the enemy.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-04-03 at 01:32 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    @zito, i really do hope clones drop your target once release comes because them not doing so is just kinda stupid especially if they're supposed to be a pretty major survival tool... and could you provide the link to that video? because i've seen a few where mes got quite confusing, so i wana see if it's similar (IE i'm just an idiot and can't pick out the real one xD)

@zito, i really do hope clones drop your target once release comes because them not doing so is just kinda stupid especially if they're supposed to be a pretty major survival tool... and could you provide the link to that video? because i've seen a few where mes got quite confusing, so i wana see if it's similar (IE i'm just an idiot and can't pick out the real one xD)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=srqLzO1t0ak
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    O.o an hour long lol!! I'll watch that in a bit after i finish things i need to do today xD

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Physiologically clones and illusions are not real, however they attack your state of mind to feel real, in essence if you can overcome the illusion it won't have any effect on you even if you can see them. Though because this is a game and not real life you will never overcome the illusions. Illusions produce no physical damage, only mental.

You ever been in the desert and you see a mirage of water? You go and drink the water but in reality you are just drinking sand however your brain makes it seem like you are actually drinking water.

Currently, illusions don't need a UI. We are not a pet class. They serve the purpose of confusion and given how it's so easy to summon clones and illusions we don't need a UI to switch targets, just make new ones.

However clones and illusions still need loads of work. Watching the new eng PvP video, it was quite obvious who the real mesmer was, clones didn't drop the target and the engineer had no problem finding the real mesmer. Currently clones are just for shatters, they not really effective at confusing the enemy.
    Does not the change the fact whatsoever that multiple people can see and feel the shatters, despite not being the target. Like it or not they are a unique pet class and have several traits to augment that style of play. I'm proposing an UI (one in which the nay sayers can ignore), in which Mesmers have total control over their Clones as it should be.

P.S: A mirage never shatters and kills you.