Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Actually, no.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon

Mesmer has twice as many weapon sets as Elementalists do. Which is more than what Thieves get.
    Actually we only have 1 weapon more then elementalists do. They get staff/scepter/dagger, we get staff/scepter/GS/sword. Also, thieves have exactly the same amount of weapons we do, but while they have less offhands theirs modify more skills. Sword/Focus or Sword/pistol will have exactly the same 3 first skills for a mesmer, while Sword/Pistol and Sword/dagger for a thief (for exemple) do not.

Personally I think you arent looking at it the right way: its not about the amount of weapons available, as much as it is what you can do with those weapons. The reason why mesmers are very limited is because each weapon is very limited in its uses. Staff only works with a Condition build, for exemple.

I also found this to be quite annoying. The scepter I have noticed that the last shot (3rd attack the spawns the clone) still overwrites your phantasms. I can have three duelists up from Pistol OH and then bam third scepter shot goes off and one disappears replaced by the clone.
    This is just another exemple of what I was explaining. Yes, we have as many weapons as other classes, but ours are extremely speciallized. Scepter is a weapon that is only really usefull for Shatter builds. Phantasms stop you from using its auto-attacks, so you cannot focus on them with this weapon, and Confusion is too inconsistent right now to be build-centric. That being said, scepter with a Shatter build does really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    They get staff/scepter/dagger, we get staff/scepter/GS/sword.
    Pistol and Torch and Focus (which Ele does get, obv), you forgot. You can't discount total combinations.

I want Mesmer to get MH Pistol, and I also want Thief to get OH Sword. But let's not get ridiculous. The only other MH weapons Mesmer could get after Pistol would be mace, axe, and dagger.

Personally, I could totally see Mesmer using Shortbow. Plenty of ways to make use of the "arcane archer" concept there, combined with illusions.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-03 at 05:45 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    anyone else love the 2h sword style? it sucks for soloing but in the big events its pretty cool. i think its very good class, its my main at the moment, i just wish my summons wouldn't disappear as soon as the mob they are fighting dies!

Pistol and Torch and Focus (which Ele does get, obv), you forgot. You can't discount total combinations.

I want Mesmer to get MH Pistol, and I also want Thief to get OH Sword. But let's not get ridiculous. The only other MH weapons Mesmer could get after Pistol would be mace, axe, and dagger.
    Pistol and Torch are not weapons to us, they are off-hands. For both classes the weapon is what determines your playstyle, the offhand only complements it.
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-09-03 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pistol and Torch are not weapons to us, they are off-hands. The weapon is what determines your playstyle, the offhand only complements it.
    Off-hands are indeed weapons, as well. You honestly cannot discount them. They count for 40% of your weapon skills.

The off-hand always decides which Phantasm you get, and then also has another skill, both of which will affect how you play.

Scepter/Sword, for example, would be amazing at clone generation and self-defense.
    Scepter/Focus, on the other hand, would be better at kiting, as well as supporting allies.
    Scepter/Pistol, in addition, would be especially capable of control which interrupts enemy abilities (and their phantasm gets to be ranged - might not be much difference, but less likely to die).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-03 at 05:50 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Off-hands are indeed weapons, as well. You honestly cannot discount them. They count for 40% of your weapon skills.

The off-hand always decides which Phantasm you get, and then also has another skill, both of which will affect how you play.

Scepter/Sword, for example, would be amazing at clone generation and self-defense.
    Scepter/Focus, on the other hand, would be better at kiting, as well as supporting allies.
    Scepter/Pistol, in addition, would be especially capable of control which interrupts enemy abilities (and their phantasm gets to be ranged - might not be much difference, but less likely to die).
    Fair enough but at this point this is a pointless argument. We are just arguing semantics. At the end of the day we agree: the weapon selection is sparce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was just wanting to point out that we're not nearly so restricted as Elementalists are. :P

Considering their attunements, though, it took me longer to unlock all of their skills than any other profession. There's 80 weapon skills total, counting underwater. Mesmer has... 34?
    I don't expect Elementalists to get new weapons very often.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-03 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yurimeta View Post
    I also found this to be quite annoying. The scepter I have noticed that the last shot (3rd attack the spawns the clone) still overwrites your phantasms. I can have three duelists up from Pistol OH and then bam third scepter shot goes off and one disappears replaced by the clone.
    that's working as intended, the change was IF you have another clone up instead of overwriting the phantasm it will instead overwrite the clone, however if you have 3 phantasms up you clearly don't have a clone that can be overwritten
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    that's working as intended, the change was IF you have another clone up instead of overwriting the phantasm it will instead overwrite the clone, however if you have 3 phantasms up you clearly don't have a clone that can be overwritten
    Lesson here: If you intend on using phantasms, keep some clones around!

They're disposable anyways.

10+ Year Old Account

oh clones are totally disposable lol, i think the most damage i've ever done was as a staff ele in a group of conditions necros.... so many phantasmal warlocks.... so little enemies...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Well Phantasm builds use enough health bonuses that phantasms generally last much MUCH longuer then their CDs, and since you usually use 1 per weapon + 1 utility skill (Defender), you can summon all 3 at once. What this means is that you can simply Shatter them, use whatever clone skills you need, shatter those, and resummon your phantasms.

For exemple: you have 3 out, just got charged by a GS warrior. Pop distortion, avoid 100-blades massive damage, pop Illusionary Leap (root) + decoy, run a bit further, pop Diversion and summon all 3 phantasms back up starting with Defender.

Well, I was just wanting to point out that we're not nearly so restricted as Elementalists are. :P
    Hey, keep in mind that even beyond the attunements the Ele can summon himself 5 different weapons :P
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-09-03 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, keep in mind that even beyond the attunements the Ele can summon himself 5 different weapons :P
    Psh, might as well bring up environmental weapons...

Psh, might as well bring up environmental weapons...
    Well to be fair those weapon summons do take utility skill slots for the ele lol, they are part of their toolkits. Its like the flamethrower for the Engineer, or the Lich Form for the Necro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Admittedly, it'd be nice if Mesmers could get some kind of transformation skill outside of racials.

Deleted
    Actually, no.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon

Mesmer has twice as many weapon sets as Elementalists do. Which is more than what Thieves get.

I do think Mesmer needs MH Pistol to even things out, but they do have a lot of weapon combinations already. :P
    The only other weapons I could really see them using would be Daggers or Axes, but half the professions already get daggers, and making axes work for a second scholar might be a bit awkward.

I think MH pistol would be pretty cool, but I dont think its necessary.

I run GS + Staff and kick arse in pve and pvp. Great class, fairly high entry level but possibly a tadge op if played well.

Clones will replace a phantasm if there are only phantasms present. If there is a clone present it will replace the clone instead.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-09-03 at 08:32 PM.

Deleted
    unless you are running a shatter build, dotn use scepter, in fact dont use it even then...personally I find it incredible lacklustre compared to other weapons, and the lack of control over clones is not worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    unless you are running a shatter build, dotn use scepter, in fact dont use it even then...personally I find it incredible lacklustre compared to other weapons, and the lack of control over clones is not worth it in my opinion.
    strange enough I generate more clones/phantasms from any weapon besides scepter because I tend to switch weapons on cd which seems to be the better way of generating illusions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    strange enough I generate more clones/phantasms from any weapon besides scepter because I tend to switch weapons on cd which seems to be the better way of generating illusions.
    yeah, I also dont use scepter and i never find myself short of clones or phantasms. I switch lots aswell, not only to get illusions, but also to get more abilities whilst CDs are ticking and to use finishers on combo fields.

scepter feels wayyy too weak, i've been using greatsword / staff
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)