Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    This is how you fuck with people!

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 09:44 PM ----------

It seems that summoning a clone doesn't force your foe to drop your target...

so.... what the hell
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my....

Mesmer PvP looks like such a mess. There are so many invisability and stealth mechanics. I had enough trouble focusing on the Mesmer in the vid, I wouldn't want to fight one of them.

---------------

Moving on...

How are the AoE abilities of the Mesmer?

As far as I can see, Staff-Chaos Storm and Greatsword-Knockbackslash are the only ones. I expect clone shattering does AoE damage, but I'm wondering about other abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post

OT: I wonder what abilities you get as a S/S Mesmer... And I find it really odd that Mesmers can DW swords but Thieves cannot...
    yeah I am kinda annoyed by that tbh. If I could do dual swords as a thief... I would.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

so.... what the hell
    really? Odd. So much for using illusions to trick foes....

I guess stealth is then required but all the Mesmer stealths are kinda obvious. So you know that the ones you see are fake

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Summoning clones and just spamming your auto attack still doesn't sound much fun. Other weapon sets have other offensive abilities other than their bread and butter.
    Well that's the thing. The Mesmer is a "scholar" type profession. The Mesmer's focus is on magic, not weaponry.

Even with the Greatsword, you don't really use the sword as a sword - it's more of a focus that the Mesmer channels his magic through. Hence the giant lazer beams with the Mesmer holding the Greatsword out in mid-air.

That does of course beg the question, then, of why include Swords at all, but I think it was just to be different. My only real complaint is that Mesmers can dual-wield Swords, but the Thief cannot. Main-hand only. =\
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-27 at 12:23 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

so.... what the hell
    I'm going to assume that beta is beta on the not dropping the target thing... Otherwise there's no way that you could use em to trick people in pvp, well without stealths and such...

That mesmer in the vid seemed like he did a great job at confusing people though, so i don't think it'll be that bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    y
    Well that's the thing. The Mesmer is a "scholar" type profession. The Mesmer's focus is on magic, not weaponry.

Even with the Greatsword, you don't really use the sword as a sword - it's more of a focus that the Mesmer channels his magic through. Hence the giant lazer beams with the Mesmer holding the Greatsword out in mid-air.

That does of course beg the question, then, of why include Swords at all, but I think it was just to be different. My only real complaint is that Mesmers can dual-wield Swords, but the Thief cannot. Main-hand only. =\
    I realize this, but even then a dual sword mesmer only has ONE offensive ability, the rest is summoning clones and leaps for gap closing. Magic or not, I feel a sword mesmer is lacking offensive abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize this, but even then a dual sword mesmer only has ONE offensive ability, the rest is summoning clones and leaps for gap closing. Magic or not, I feel a sword mesmer is lacking offensive abilities.
    You do realize clones do damage yes? And a dual wielding mesmer can summon an illusionary swordsman which is more damage oriented then their clones... I see no issue with it.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    You do realize clones do damage yes? And a dual wielding mesmer can summon an illusionary swordsman which is more damage oriented then their clones... I see no issue with it.
    I know, but it's not damage that you yourself are doing, it's your pets auto attacking. Ok, imagine you're a hunter type class like say in WoW or Rift, and you were only given one auto attack ability and your pets auto attack. That's how I feel like the sword mesmer is.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't really look at Mesmers and expect blatant damaging abilities. Mesmers are about trickery, deception... and most of all, illusion. Essentially, a dual-sword mesmer is meant to completely fuck with your mind by summoning a little mini-army of... well. Of him. (or her)

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 06:40 PM ----------

I know, but it's not damage that you yourself are doing, it's your pets auto attacking. Ok, imagine you're a hunter type class like say in WoW or Rift, and you were only given one auto attack ability and your pets auto attack. That's how I feel like the sword mesmer is.
    You're ignoring the fact that you can Shatter illusions. I get where you're coming from, but I think you're just looking at Mesmer the wrong way.

Dual Sword Mesmer, I'm pretty sure, can summon the most illusions, thanks to Riposte, unless there is a hard cap on how many you can get. And even then, the two Leap skills combined means near-instant max illusions?

Edit: nevermind, hard cap on three illusions. Oh well!
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-27 at 12:43 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't really look at Mesmers and expect blatant damaging abilities. Mesmers are about trickery, deception... and most of all, illusion. Essentially, a dual-sword mesmer is meant to completely fuck with your mind by summoning a little mini-army of... well. Of him. (or her)
    Then that really doesn't appeal to me, /shrug. Guess mesmer won't be my profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all lol, the 2 leap skills are meant to confuse and mind fuck your enemy, hell, one of them doesn't even move you. the whole point to using 2 swords as a mesmer is to completely confuse your enemy and, eventually, kill them with you and your clones slashing.

Are you going to be smashing all the pretty buttons on CD? No, not at all, sword mesmers will probably be spending their time plotting their next move instead of how to do 1337 damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then that really doesn't appeal to me, /shrug. Guess mesmer won't be my profession.
    So... you're not going to be interested because it's not the case that every ability is about dealing amazing damage?

I hate to say it, but uh... I think MOST of the professions won't appeal to you, as a result. O_o

Warrior and Thief might.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... you're not going to be interested because it's not the case that every ability is about dealing amazing damage?

I hate to say it, but uh... I think MOST of the professions won't appeal to you, as a result. O_o

Warrior and Thief might.
    Nah even warrior and thief arent, elementalist (fire) or warrior may be the closest to just wanting to flat out destroy everything, but even then they aren't that close to it...

10+ Year Old Account

Warrior and Thief might.
    It's not about my damage. It's about what I'm actively doing to deal that damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Nah even warrior and thief arent, elementalist (fire) or warrior may be the closest to just wanting to flat out destroy everything, but even then they aren't that close to it...
    Well every dagger/dagger skill does damage. It's just the off-hand dagger skills are... well, one is a crippling thrown dagger, and the other puts you into stealth, but both still do damage.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 06:49 PM ----------

It's not about my damage. It's about what I'm actively doing to deal that damage.
    You're doing plenty of things actively to do that damage. You use your two leap skills to summon two illusions that deal damage. Your 1 ability, and your illusions, will stack up random conditions (i'm pretty sure every mesmer 1 skill does that? Or was that just Staff?). You summon a phantasm which does more damage based on how many conditions are on the enemy (I'm pretty sure every mesmer weapon has that?)
    And then... I'm not sure about Riposte. But it is nice to have a built-in defensive move, rather than be 100% about killing your foe.

And then, once your illusions are capped out (including the phantasm), and your target is covered in conditions, you pick one of your shatter skills to suicide-bomb all of your illusions, and summon them back up all over again.

This is all, of course, ignoring the 6-0 abilities.

I guess the TLDR is that Mesmers aren't twitch "maximize your GCD" gameplay. I don't think any of the GW2 profs are, but Mesmers are definitely far from it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-27 at 12:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    W

I guess the TLDR is that Mesmers aren't twitch "maximize your GCD" gameplay. I don't think any of the GW2 profs are, but Mesmers are definitely far from it.
    Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I like to be actively pushing buttons. I'd really like to see some gameplay footage of dual sword mesmer though before I completely throw away the idea of being one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I like to be actively pushing buttons.
    You will be. You're just, basically... constantly summoning/destroying illusions. *shrugs*

I enjoyed the mesmer playstyle in GW. They are a fancy pants warlock. Lots of dots are nice for pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm... honestly, Greatsword and Staff seem more offensive than dual Sword. Odd, ain't it?

Hrm... honestly, Greatsword and Staff seem more offensive than dual Sword. Odd, ain't it?
    Greatsword/staff seems like a good combo, but only if you are planning to hide behind the wall of your team mates.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your 6-0 choices, don't it?