10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The choice in this matter is, do you want damage or do you want to freaken live? That's why there is 4 shatters.
    I get their reason for doing it...

It just seems an odd way to go. Your illusions practically EXPLODE... and somehow that causes you to gain a defensive boost.

Saywha?!

It could be argued that stunning them isn't different enough from dazing them.
    What about a knockback? Or a fear?

Hell, if they wanted to keep it defense-oriented, the fourth one should apply weakness. Which would, however, call for a shorter CD.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I get their reason for doing it...

It just seems an odd way to go. Your illusions practically EXPLODE... and somehow that causes you to gain a defensive boost.

Saywha?!
    It's not exploding in terms of big gang boom, its like shattering a mirror. You shatter a mirror, it surrounds you and it... distorts your image..?

Look what happens when you get technical.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Sword was probably the biggest piece of crap in terms of weapons but now it is just amazing.
    Yeah, but now I cant decide between a sword of scepter. Pistol as off-hand is a must.
    -Still nobody tested mantras (OMFG RLLY, pissing me off). First thing I god damn do in aprils beta.... TEST THE DAMN MANTRAS
    I'm taking your word for it, if you get in before me, I expect e-mail with some details.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not exploding in terms of big gang boom, its like shattering a mirror. You shatter a mirror, it surrounds you and it... distorts your image..?

Look what happens when you get technical.
    It just seems too offensive of a move for defense to work in that manner. It would make more sense, to me, if maybe... you applied Weakness or Blind (especially Blind). That can be seen as a defensive move, just applied through a condition.

What I'm getting at is, you're supposed to be fucking with their mind. Yes, you're creating a distortion around yourself, I get that... but doesn't it seem more "mind-fucking" to blind them?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    Yeah, but now I cant decide between a sword of scepter. Pistol as off-hand is a must.

I'm taking your word for it, if you get in before me, I expect e-mail with some details.
    With the new leap, pistol will play extremely well with the sword. But you are sacraficing some survivability by going pistol, so you should pick up more surv moves from 7-9

I'll be pre-purchasing like everyone else so yea I'll be in next beta :x Unless they pull a blizzard

---------- Post added 2012-03-28 at 12:11 AM ----------

It just seems too offensive of a move for defense to work in that manner. It would make more sense, to me, if maybe... you applied Weakness or Blind (especially Blind). That can be seen as a defensive move, just applied through a condition.
    I'm not understanding your logic... are you saying shattering something is too offensive for you to see it as defensive?
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-28 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not understanding your logic... are you saying shattering something is too offensive for you to see it as defensive?
    I guess I just don't see the Mesmer in general as using defensive moves of that nature, but with this particular mechanic it feels off to me.

Doesn't it make more sense to do something to their brain directly with these moves, rather than apply some magical distortion about you?

I guess I just don't see the Mesmer in general as using defensive moves of that nature, but with this particular mechanic it feels off to me.

Doesn't it make more sense to do something to their brain directly with these moves, rather than apply some magical distortion about you?
    Shattering a clone or phantasm is like breaking a mirror as seen in videos. It creates fragments in the very space itself that cause distortion in the area.

That distortion can either by you some time (evade), cause harm to enemy's with its... pointy fragments (wreck), cause mental confusion or hinder a certain move.

Makes sense to me. Though talking about space....

10+ Year Old Account
    I see what you're getting at, it just bothers me. I think Blinding enemies brings about the same defensive boost, while still following with the idea that the Mesmer is messing with their heads directly. After all, the illusions exist only in the head of the person you cast it on.

It might just be OCD tendencies niggling at me. "ONE OF THESE DOES NOT BELONG!"

I see what you're getting at, it just bothers me. I think Blinding enemies brings about the same defensive boost, while still following with the idea that the Mesmer is messing with their heads directly. After all, the illusions exist only in the head of the person you cast it on.

It might just be OCD tendencies niggling at me. "ONE OF THESE DOES NOT BELONG!"
    However people can launch more then one attack in 3 seconds. Things like aoe or fast casting, or pets, etc will launch off more attacks then blind can handle.

Also this is the same as the old reflection shatter, except its now called distortion.

I'll fix the first post

Distortion in time and space. This is why I love the Mesmer.

Distortion in time and space. This is why I love the Mesmer.
    Your ranger sig irks me.

BEGONE BETRAYER
    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-28 at 12:28 AM.

Your ranger sig irks me.

BEGONE BETRAYER
    I refuse.

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping professions in GW2 will actually be fun and able to hold you for a long time. Not like in WoW, where everyone played everything.

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping professions in GW2 will actually be fun and able to hold you for a long time. Not like in WoW, where everyone played everything.
    On the contrary. I hope all GW2 professions will be fun so you'll want to try everything. And so far it's shaping up to be

I refuse.

WoW can't make the classes too interesting because nobody would play an alt. For some reason that's their thing where you are bored you make an alt and play the same content you did.... before...

10+ Year Old Account
    I refuse.

Everyone will still play everything.

Indeed..
    The classes looking so fun is WHY I want to play everything, it's just looking like the likelyhood of me playing everything because I'm bored of my main is unlikely.

You missed that they changed trick shot slightly. Now the FIRST target is stunned, second dazed, and third blinded. A more controllable stun yay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pffft i guess i'm not part of the "everyone" category, i play 1 character, that's it, GW2 may force my hand into making alts just to see what happens in their stories...but after their stories were over i'd stop playing them all together and just go back to my ranger, cause, why would i want to play anything else when i have the super sexy nature themed bad ass right over there?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I most likely will not level everything, but since I only need level 2 for PvP, I will definitely HAVE everything. =D

I designed my mesmer after a pirate (wields a sword and pistol!). Whats odd though is that it relys heavily on illusions. I'm considering making a mantra based mesmer however with Harmonious Mantras being the concrete of the build.