Page 43 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Closer? The clone swap pulls you back away.
    No, the skill summons a clone that jumps at your enemy, you can then swap with it, thus bringing you forward to its position.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkman View Post
    No, the skill summons a clone that jumps at your enemy, you can then swap with it, thus bringing you forward to its position.
    Sorry. Leap has changed so much (even from Friday to Saturday) that I forgot how it worked. My bad.

Tangent aside though: clone swap for ranged would be great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkman View Post
    The staff really didn't do much damage, it seemed made for group play where you could spread boons around your allies.
    I actually found the staff to be quite deceptive - at first I didn't rate it, but as I progressed the conditions were really making the mobs suffer.

I'd open with warlock, which activates winds of chaos...as things approached I'd throw up a nice storm for them to walk through...if they got to me it was chaos armour and perhaps mind wrack, depending...stuff just didn't survive.

I only started playing the Mesmer at the end of the BWE. I got tired of the Warrior being a bit too straight forward, but it took me awhile to get a handle on the Mesmer... looking forward to trying it further next event.

A neat trick I found with the staff was that if you knew what you were doing, you had two chaos armors. Setup Chaos Storm and then use Feigned Escape through it. Combo Field: Ethereal + Combo Finisher: Leap = Chaos Armor. Wala!

Maybe I'm the only one, but phantasms did feel really disposable. They still went down pretty easy and the cd on it wasn't very high. If I needed my phantasm it was off cooldown. There were times I'd pop my phantasm let her unload for a few seconds(duelist) then just shattered her. Mind wrack felt really weak IMO. I definitely hated the root with the sword not sure why we should be rooted for a skill.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It's swords only gap closer, though its bugged so it isn't working right atm.
    Really? Mine was working fine. You only had 1-2 seconds to push it, but it did port me right to the mob.
    Last edited by Varah; 2012-05-03 at 07:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varah View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one, but phantasms did feel really disposable. They still went down pretty easy and the cd on it wasn't very high. If I needed my phantasm it was off cooldown. There were times I'd pop my phantasm let her unload (duelist) then just shattered her. Mind wrack felt really weak IMO. I definitely hated the root with the sword not sure why we should be rooted for a skill.
    Maybe the trick with a weapon phantasm is to pop one, then shatter as soon as the cooldown is up and resummon.

Damn, I want to be messing with all this stuff! Why did they have to turn the servers off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Varah View Post
    I definitely hated the root with the sword not sure why we should be rooted for a skill.
    Which one?
    If you're talking about the root on the onehanded sword, you're completely untouchable during its duration.

If you're talking about the two hand, well, it's the price you pay for your hard hitting short cooldown ability (not to mention the real kicker of applying stacks of Vuln. at range). Roots during hard hitters is common not just for pretty much all classes in one way or another, depending on weapon set. It's just which defense do you want while using it.

Evasion but limited range, or being at ranged and using that, but not limited to where you hit? There's a reason greatsword has a snare/knockback as its 4/5 abilities.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 02:04 PM ----------

For those playing with 1h Sword, here's my question to you:

Which offhand did you find the most fun? I had a lot of trouble putting the Focus to use, and the Torch seemed a little funky (but potentially better?). Bouncing between Sword and Pistol, but I could never actually get one down that flowed smooth, what were your experiences?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Maybe the trick with a weapon phantasm is to pop one, then shatter as soon as the cooldown is up and resummon.

Damn, I want to be messing with all this stuff! Why did they have to turn the servers off!!!
    that's kind of what I did a lot. It did seem the first few seconds of the duelist phantasm had the most burst. I didn't get to play with the traits much as I didn't pvp with my mesmer so not sure how that'll play out. I only made it to level 17 or so in the beta weekend.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Which one?
    If you're talking about the root on the onehanded sword, you're completely untouchable during its duration.

If you're talking about the two hand, well, it's the price you pay for your hard hitting short cooldown ability (not to mention the real kicker of applying stacks of Vuln. at range). Roots during hard hitters is common not just for pretty much all classes in one way or another, depending on weapon set. It's just which defense do you want while using it.

Evasion but limited range, or being at ranged and using that, but not limited to where you hit? There's a reason greatsword has a snare/knockback as its 4/5 abilities.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 02:04 PM ----------

For those playing with 1h Sword, here's my question to you:

Which offhand did you find the most fun? I had a lot of trouble putting the Focus to use, and the Torch seemed a little funky (but potentially better?). Bouncing between Sword and Pistol, but I could never actually get one down that flowed smooth, what were your experiences?
    I didn't get to play dual swords. It's good to know you are untouchable during it. I didn't know that. I only know it was annoying messing up by accidently moving during it and only getting it partially off.

I played one handed sword and pistol & scepter and pistol. As far as offhands I liked the pistol the most. The duelist seemed to do decent burst damage and trick shot was insanely useful for me.
    Last edited by Varah; 2012-05-03 at 08:31 PM.

Eventhough you are untouchable you shouldn't remain rooted imo, since you can't really stick on the target much in melee.

Focus needs improvement. Its short field range for the cripple/speed buff makes it kinda lacking for melee, though with scepter its great as you can trait it to reflect projectiles. Problem is the phantasm does that baseline so you are wasting a trait to make this one move decent. Phantasm also has problems, its meant to reflect projectiles but spawns next to the foe? Not really going to reflect anything unless you kite yourself to it and this is only effective against range.

Torch with sword is also lackluster, invis breaks on attack and you still get damaged. It's slightly better as an escape tool but lacks synergy. Pistol turns out better than sword offhand by a smidge, in a barrage of attacks block isn't going to do much except prevent one attack while pistol will stun the target, daze and cripple anyone else near.

It feels like we are missing a weapon just to bring everything together....
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Looks like I'll be playing more with a pistol, then. I might keep dual swords to play around with for going toe to toe with bigger guys, though, but I'll have to see. What kind of trait builds were you playing with?

And I do agree that it feels like we're shy a weapon here.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Was the damage for dual sword mesmer good at least? also, did your clones crit often?
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-05-04 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Was the damage for dual sword mesmer good at least? also, did your clones crit often?
    Don't ever consider clone damage, ever. It is so minor and so small that really it shouldn't do any damage tbh. However sword mesmer hits like a freaken truck like all melee problem is they get hit like a truck too, there is no armor bonus for sword mesmer to match up with a warrior or guardian.

What kind of trait builds were you playing with?
    I had a vigor build somewhere in the last couple a pages I wanted to try out, it produces more clones then you could probably shatter though . I was mainly picking up surv talents (which turned out pretty well). However invisibility I found lackluster in PvP players would just spam their range skill and you would get hit regardless, if you try and make a sharp sneaky turn invis does not last long enough for you not to get caught.

Decoy and the 25% invis turns on your auto attack, instantly breaking the invis. So far invis is only good for shatter builds where you are putting up a lot of clones and need to drop target.

I have some mechanics questions and also a build.

So let us start with the mechanic questions as they go somewhat with the build.

1). For traits and whatnot, was it tested if when a tooltip says "when an illusion is killed" does that count for shatters as well?

2). Cleansing Conflagration in the Domination line. Did anybody test if it removes a certain amount of conditions or all of them? Potentially a huge trait for my build which I will post later.

3). Does the heal Ether Feast actually consume the illusions? Or does it just count them and change the amount healed accordingly?

Now for the build.

I made THIS build with the intent for an offensive pvp build.

Went Sword+Sword/Sword+Torch thought about going with a staff for the off-set but I decided to go with the sword and torch due to the seemingly higher damage coupled with the stealth.

Probably an important note but this build is intended to spike with illusion shatters.

For the utility side of my bars.
    Healing:
    Went for mirror over ether heal due to the assumption that it would consume my limited illusions. As for the Mantra heal, it has a short recharge but I would fear one time I want to use it I would slip up and have it un-charged.

Utilities:
    Mantra of Pain- just for a bit more damage really.
    Mirror Images- again for damage. two clones for quick spike damage with weapons that don't really spit clones out.
    Blink- my movement utility, more for structured pvp. Would use the portal for WvW.

Elite:
    Time Warp- seems pretty amazing. AoE haste for people around you? dear god the damage.

I think the traits are fairly self explanatory so I wont go into detail with it. I also just don't want to type anymore

So yea. Sorry if somebody answered my questions earlier in the thread and I missed it and thanks for any opinions on the build.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

1). For traits and whatnot, was it tested if when a tooltip says "when an illusion is killed" does that count for shatters as well?
    The one thing I forgot to test, however with the wording and the wording of similar traits, the answer is most likely a no.

2). Cleansing Conflagration in the Domination line. Did anybody test if it removes a certain amount of conditions or all of them? Potentially a huge trait for my build which I will post later.
    Another thing I forgot to test :/. Just be deduction, cloaking probably removes all and phantasm 1?

3). Does the heal Ether Feast actually consume the illusions? Or does it just count them and change the amount healed accordingly?\
    It counts them.

As for your build, going to tell you right now confusion is crap unless you are going a confusion heavy build which isn't really possible anymore or a condition heavy build. Wasted 10 points in confusion traits.

As for invisibility, it is also lackluster for melee mesmer. It breaks on auto attack and you still get damaged in line of fire. It's best for a quick escape I suppose but there are better moves out there.

Sword/torch has the worst synergy period. A phantasm that inflictions confusion and you will barely be doing any confusions (combined with its slow attack speed) and lackluster stealth you wasted a trait for (just get the mantra?). What you are lacking is defense since you piled on the damage moves, as melee you will be hit like a truck. Go staff specifically for the boons it gives, chaos armor + chaos storm give a lot of survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    I tested this and yes it does count when you shatter your illusions.

honestly, traits will not severely affect you as much as people on here make you think, currently we have no idea how traits will work but from interviews from the arenanet team they are working towards making every spec and choice you make viable, so make the class how you want it, there is no wrong or right spec in gw2. The traits system does not change your character dramatically to the point you become op (they admitted at the moment traits are too powerful so expect this to change), they are minor boosts, as confirmed in an interview with Jon Peters http://www.guildwars2hub.com/feature...iew-jon-peters

"There’s still going to be a significant number of trait changes, but the new traits will start to be a lot more balanced. The traits we have in now are one of the most imbalanced parts of the game if you’ve paid much attention to them."

Please this is not WOW, this is gw2 what you think will work in gw2 is not true, there is no cookie cutter specs, there is no "best" weapon, all the weapons and traits are made to be all viable, stop trying to push this view when it is not in the game. And even if there was a chance this happened, the arenanet team would be quickly working to rectify this as their view on their game is that everything is viable.

Things are still subject to change, things are probably already changed, the beta we played was the same beta version as the one played by the media, a more recent version of the game is being played and tested by the arena net team. It may be that we might see minor alterations in BWe2 but again this will be an older version of what arenanet will have so the traits and abilities will be different.

You cannot rely on the beta to "know" how everything works or "know" how traits will work and what build is the best, so please stop assuming you have it figured out. It is really irritating, especially since there seems to be a push in this thread for a cookie cutter build, sorry everyone, but that is not how GW2 is going to work.
    Last edited by Khaidu; 2012-05-06 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gura View Post
    I tested this and yes it does count when you shatter your illusions.
    Ooooh....

Mesmer just got more fun for me.

@Khaidu - traits will make or break how you play the character. The difference, though, is that you can't really do it "wrong" unless you trait one way and play another. There will be "cookie cutter" specs, but not because they're the best - just because they end up being more popular playstyles.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: Any Mesmer players know what the third Drowning skill was in BWE1?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0nKx_Ukpec I found this interesting mesmer vid. Apparently leap has a 4 second cd IF you don't use the teleport. I wonder if that's a bug or working as intended? nvm, looks like it is.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-05-09 at 02:25 AM.