Page 92 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Boom!! Nailed it!! As long as you play like you do LoL you'll be fine, he'll I've even seen ranger "carry" builds where they use the digits of snowballing to become unstoppable forces lol, it's pretty great!
    I just wish we could get a robust skill tool like at gw2skills.net, but with the capability to create an account and save all my builds. That site I was using a while back just... hasn't been touched since BWE1, and I really thought that was great functionality to have. Could make a fuckton of builds on your account, you could write a little bit about the purpose/goal/playstyle/ideas/whatever behind the build, people could link comments when they come across it...

*grumps*

---------- Post added 2012-09-14 at 10:10 PM ----------

This thread while being a thread primarily about Thief pvp, is a good example of what I mean
    TL;DR

Basically, this game forces you to re-learn, re-wire everything you ever learnt in other MMO’s. Do what I did, and stop thinking what build/weps will make you the best, and start thinking about what it means to be the ‘best’. Think about what role in a game you will take and consciously change your gamestyle to reflect this.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quick question, is precision an alternative form of damage like power and condition damage? Is it viable to have minimal power with max precision like it is to have max power and minimal precision?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Quick question, is precision an alternative form of damage like power and condition damage? Is it viable to have minimal power with max precision like it is to have max power and minimal precision?
    Hum. I'm getting my professions mixed up by now I think. It really depends on how precision works out for Mesmers. Whenever I look at Precision in general, though, I think about what else to tie with it. I tend not to think of Power, Precision, Malice, OR Prowess as standalone stats.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Hum. I'm getting my professions mixed up by now I think. It really depends on how precision works out for Mesmers. Whenever I look at Precision in general, though, I think about what else to tie with it. I tend not to think of Power, Precision, Malice, OR Prowess as standalone stats.
    for Kels build I can't do that unless I decided to remove healing power as a factor

10+ Year Old Account
    for Kels build I can't do that unless I decided to remove healing power as a factor
    Probably could work. You can hit pretty ridiculously high crit chances with the right gear, even in pvp gear, to the point that you basically increase all your damage by 1.5x.

I kinda see Precision as more of a... "secondary" offensive stat. Maybe that's just a relic from how much I've played WoW though.

Probably could work. You can hit pretty ridiculously high crit chances with the right gear, even in pvp gear, to the point that you basically increase all your damage by 1.5x.

I kinda see Precision as more of a... "secondary" offensive stat. Maybe that's just a relic from how much I've played WoW though.
    Same, I wish mesmers had more ways of keeping fury up like some proffesions... oh well I might have to dump the fury runes on this build. :/

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 04:08 AM ----------

Ok kel here is your build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...x2jrHZPrPGYM3A

quite a doosey, you focus on 3 stats. Main is precision, the other 2 are toughness and healing power..

The main thing is the self healing via sigil of water and blood. Water heals nearby allies a long with yourself on a 10 sec cd and blood heals yourself on a 2 sec cd. The idea is if you are being focus you are taking minimal damage via toughness and the damage is constantly being healed up via blood rune.

Now on to skills. You will be maining sword/sword. You switch to greatsword when you are:

a) anytime you are not in melee

Any time you run out of melee you switch to greatsword it provides excellent kiting and it gives you something to do at range. You will be at range when you are:

1) being focused too much and you need kiting
    2) charging mantras (don't charge mantras in melee range....)
    3) Before a fight and you are closing the gap (usually just throw illusionary blade in for might buff)

Also If your team mates need peeling you will switch to greatsword. Staff gives boons for your group, GS gives peeling. You can use boons to counter damage or peeling. GS knockback works sometimes on bosses but even if it doesn't it still interrupts and bosses can still be slowed by cripple.

Now on to healing skills. I choose mantra of recovery, idk why I just did. With healing power it will heal for 3175 x 2 = 6350 which is 500 worse then ether feast but better reactive healing.

The last 3 utility skills can be anything you want. This is just personal preference. Daze mantra for interrupts, signet of illusions for more shatters and feedback for when range attacks are near. (Feedback can save a group ex. poison golem from sorrows embrace).

Now on to traits. Strange... GS produces more clones then scepter... oh well. Traits are mainly shatter oriented. Shattered concentration removes a boon on hit... an AOE BOON REMOVAL and it removes 1 boon per clone so a total of 3 if you have 3 clones which you should in this build.

Next we have deceptive evasion. You will be dodging any time you hit max energy. Reason being is you will constantly be critting (especially with sword) which generates vigor, you also have the shatter which generates vigor. Meaning you will be doing lots of shattering. Its a lot of micro managing but worth it. Mental torment is there because you will be basically using mind wreck on cd.

Next we have healing your team mates when you charge a mantra. When charging a mantra you run towards your team mates that need some healing, if they are in melee get slightly out of range of melee. Medics feedback is great or you can get the vigor shatter. Shattered conditons is your condition removal. You won't have a single condition on you for long with this baby.

Sigils are pretty solid, you can change the GS one but the swords one should stay the way they are. I choose rune of the flock because the bird blinds. You can go with whatever you want though.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...x2jrHZPrPGYM3A

quite a doosey, you focus on 3 stats. Main is precision, the other 2 are toughness and healing power..
    Would you have the main emphasis on precision for the increased crit purely because of sword/sword? I've been stacking it, and not noticed much with the GS damage, but it really makes sword/sword shine. And without a high amount of condition damage (I really need to be able to sit down and mess with stuff soon for PVE), the higher precision gives the staff a little more oomph. I was having some decent peel in group events last night with the staff, just because one chaos storm was doing a ton of damage. Not sure if precision will make conditions tick for more, but that looks to be the case.

From the last page, I think of Precision in regards to Power. Picked up a +power per kill rune on a sword, and once it gets going, even a little bit, I start to snowball in melee. And in regards to the above build, (think I said it earlier I dunno) I think staff would be a viable option for a sword/sword build. The storm/armor abilites+winds gives some decent damage, and gives some pretty decent utility as well. But in that regard (ignoring illusion count for now) wouldn't scepter outpace the GS due to confusion, especially if you use sword/sword as the other set? Maybe that runs into trait issues, and I've not played with scepter enough to know, but it seems like confusion would be pretty handy, assuming you use torch in the offhand as well.

Also, on your build (you've really got me thinking about builds), the utility skills that would probably be the most handy would likely be, Null Field for the boon/condition rip, Feedback for reflection (useless on melee though, could switch for the defender), and either Blink/Illusion of Life. I've found that Illusion of Life can save a group if used right. Has a pretty long CD, but it seems worth a slot should the illusion hit the fan. But I think I'm hitting on an entirely new build with these comments, as all my utility skills are pretty much glamour skills. Maybe I'll do a build with what I'm thinking, more of a tanky/utility build.

Here's the build I was thinking. Armor runes would be vampirism instead of flock. The only issues I see are in Domination 20 piont and the lack of good choices for this in the toughness tree. The weapon runes are kind of lackluster (a confusion duration rune would be nice.)
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...x1jsnlGDM2gM3A
    Last edited by Fenlnir; 2012-09-15 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Made build
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Can a great sword ever be viable as your main dps source if so any chance you can link me what that build would look like thx :P

Deleted
    So when did Mesmer stop being crappy for you guys? It seems at level 11 I have to kite a little to kill mobs and weapon swapping on every mob otherwise I'm there forever. Do I need alot of patience for this class to get awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Can a great sword ever be viable as your main dps source if so any chance you can link me what that build would look like thx :P
    It can, Im in the middle of remaking the sword/sword build because I don't like it :3

---------- Post added 2012-09-15 at 02:16 PM ----------

so ive come to the conclusion healing power sucks and Im going to drop it.

10+ Year Old Account
    @zito, I was thinking she could slap a bloodlust sigil on one of those weapons to 1) make up for the lack of power, and 2) make her into an unstoppable killing machine with that much crit and life steal!!!

And healing power was a GREAT choice for that build seeing as how it really shines with boosting life steals and pretty much all non #6 heals, that build is gonna be sturdy as hell and also be quite scary...

As for a post you said earlier about asking if precision can replace power it absolutely can, you'll crit ridiculously much and you can just throw a lightning strike sigil/fire nova sigil on your weapons and completely make up for the lack of power with one of those alone!! (fun fact you can trigger the fire nova off a crit from the lightning strike and vice versa)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

And healing power was a GREAT choice for that build seeing as how it really shines with boosting life steals and pretty much all non #6 heals, that build is gonna be sturdy as hell and also be quite scary...
    I tested it and it increased the healing about 50... I had to max it out to increase its healing by 50. I think that 2000 points spent in healing could be better invested in something else and still have the same build.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tested it and it increased the healing about 50... I had to max it out to increase its healing by 50. I think that 2000 points spent in healing could be better invested in something else and still have the same build.
    Ugh did they nerf the healing bonus on life steal too? Ugh starting to wonder what that stats going to be good for at this rate...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Here is the new build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...x2jrHZPLRGYM3A

This is an interrupt build. You focus stats on power precision and toughness. Its essentially the same method as the previous build I linked and described but your main utility to the group is interrupts instead. Interrupting big attacks is essential for group survivability and If you mastered block you already mastered interrupts as it is basically a block. The sigils are still there to recover from auto hits and runes are subjective to whatever you want. (You can pick up the fury runes instead which will give you 45 seconds of fury for this build which is a 15 second down time unless the group provides it in another way, enabling you to sacrifice some precision for more power or vitality.)

I dropped creating a clone on dodge and added mirror images. I kept feedback as it is a great tool when you are at range and mantra of distraction needs charging, you can cast feedback just like a mantra charge and it wont stop your current skill. You switch to greatsword whenever you can't be in melee again and also if you need an extra interrupt. Knockback counts as one regardless if it works or not. GS is also a great kiting tool etc.

I choose moa bird instead of time warp this time. It works on bosses eventhough it has a reduced effect but it still prevents bosses from attacking for a good 2-3 seconds. Obviously on jumbo bosses switch to time warp.

Critical infusion is kinda wasted here, as you will be dodging when you need it instead and since you have 5 interrupts and a block to go threw first you might not be dodging as much. However it is still useful on fights where you have to dodge constantly.

Sadly GS has little synergy with melee as its a gap opener really. Staff would work better for this build and even focus for group reflects and curtain provides combo field light which removes conditions. However GS still works.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-09-15 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so ive come to the conclusion healing power sucks and Im going to drop it.
    For self-healing? Pretty much, yeah. I'm almost positive they need to buff it a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    For self-healing? Pretty much, yeah. I'm almost positive they need to buff it a bit.
    All it's good for ATM is rezzing power... It barely even buffs heals on now... Or regen....or life steal...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    All it's good for ATM is rezzing power... It barely even buffs heals on now... Or regen....or life steal...
    Well, I never expected it to be that amazing for supportive healing. Simply because... supportive heals are supposed to be small.

Well, I never expected it to be that amazing for supportive healing. Simply because... supportive heals are supposed to be small.
    My main point is healing should be considered a survival stat next to vitality and toughness. Each one filling a niche. However since it boost healing so low its not even considered a useful stat.

Also I am making a main GS build for all you lovers of the new GS buff (like me) just to give ya a taste it is going to be a boon stripper. Many bosses and mobs have I faced with annoying boons like protection... NO MORE.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main point is healing should be considered a survival stat next to vitality and toughness. Each one filling a niche. However since it boost healing so low its not even considered a useful stat.
    I agree that's what it should be, but for some reason they made the stat 100% worthless. Think I should make a post about this on the official forums...

Also I am making a main GS build for all you lovers of the new GS buff (like me) just to give ya a taste it is going to be a boon stripper. Many bosses and mobs have I faced with annoying boons like protection... NO MORE.
    Sounds like it might be fun in WvW