Page 97 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    My largest issue with it, is mostly that when it says illusion, it doesn't say if it's a clone, or a phantasm
    It absolutely does. Mouse over any ability in game, and right in front of the "tooltip" it has a single specific word that tells you what the skill type is.

There is a Clone skill type, and a Phantasm skill type. Given that you specifically see this in the tooltip and only the tooltip, I count this as part of the tooltip.

Example: Illusionary Leap has the following description, right?
    Summon an illusion that leaps at your target, crippling them.
    Well directly in front of that description, in bolded yellow text, is the following word:
    Clone.
    Mouseover and see
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-17 at 10:04 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

So I have come to realization that I have been making builds that do one thing good and at times I felt like I wanted to play my other builds but couldn't because I invested into one thing (Like boon stripping).

Here is my brand new spankin build I will be using for a LONG time:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...yujrL5OrPGQMpA

This is scepter/focus/staff build. Staff can be switched out for GS (for main weapon) if you want more damage. If not scepter is the main weapon and staff support. The main stat you focus on is power (you can flip flop and just do scepter for reflects but I find it hardly as effective) next is precesion and lastly the survival stat of your choice.

Obvious scepter doesn't do a lot of damage and Iwarden can only hit targets that stay still (which on range mobs they usually do) so I upgraded and gave scepter and focus the power/lighting sigils. Of course the power sigil only works if YOU DON'T DIE. To the staff which is being used more defensively I gave 50% endurance sigil. Runes stayed the same from my GS boon stripping build. Stacking boon duration to the max and transferring it via signet of inspiration. Key tip, combo field leap which gives chaos armor doesn't grant protection right away like activating the skill chaos armor, so by the end of chaos storm and you don't have protection, pop your chaos armor and transfer it to your friends. If you already have protection via another source pop it regardless to increase its duration and transfer to your friends.

Null field and mirror feedback are always my 2 choices I keep coming back to. I love feedback, curtain doesn't reflect projectiles from tall mobs and neither will warden (though warden is a little taller then curtain) so mobs like worms won't be reflected. That is where feedback comes in as it is a bubble. Null field removes conditions from allys in a pinch, since Idisenchanter sucks for everything its really the only reliable group condition remover. If you know a boss or certain mobs spawns TONS OF BOONS switch null field for arcane thievery and transfer those babys to your group.

If null field is down and your group has conditions, lay down curtain in their attack path. Combo field light removes conditions and for melee combo field light gives chaos armor which gives a boon every time they get hit.

Shattered concentration is your only effective boon removal and is really the only one you need. It's an aoe boon removal, removes 3 boons and mind wreck is on a 15 second CD. Use cry of frustration instead when you are either being attacked or have just used confusing images. Reason I say when you are being hit is because cry grants retaliation for about 20 seconds. Combined with blocks retaliation you can give 25 seconds of retaliation for your party. Remember signet of inspiration only has a 600 range so position is everything.

Phantasmal haste is a must. Gives Iwarden almost no CD on its attacks making it reflect for however it is alive. Try not to summon him in aoe or when mobs have nothing else to focus.

I really love reflect and trust me it saves lives... like all the time.... nobody in a pug knows how to effectively counter range on their own and constantly stand in their line of fire. So it is now your job to carry those bads and use reflect.

For those of you who say mesmers are nothing like GW1 mesmers... well you are right... because this is GW2. Sorry folks. Mesmers in GW1 was all about energy draining and making the foe hurt himself.... well you do that in GW2! Stop building a damage only build and you will see. I have reflects, confusion (for when players and foes use their skills it damages them just like empath in GW1) and boon stripping. This is GW1 mesmer written all over it.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-09-17 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsner View Post
    I agree. I think that each phantasm summon should have added benefits to its explosion.
    Phantasmal Warlock: On Shatter, deals # extra damage per condition on the target.
    Phantasmal Mage: On Shatter, grants retaliation to allies for # seconds.
    Phantasmal Duelist: On Shatter, sprays out a mass of gunfire, Bleeding the target, dealing # damage over # seconds.
    Phantasmal Warden: On Shatter, Grants Might, for # seconds, to nearby Allies, and Vulnerability, for # seconds, to nearby foes.
    Phantasmal Berserker: On Shatter, Cripples nearby enemies, reducing their movement speed by #% for # seconds.
    1000x yes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm. That would actually make it much less punishing to shatter phantasms. In fact, you'd even want to. They'd be kinda like signets, having passive benefits and an active component.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Prestige: This skill now requires full recharge if it’s interrupted at any time.

Patch notes from last night.
    NOOOOOOOOOO :<

Quote Originally Posted by Imhullu View Post
    The Prestige: This skill now requires full recharge if it’s interrupted at any time.

Patch notes from last night.
    NOOOOOOOOOO :<
    That was coming, it was OP and stupid. It was all I see mesmers running with. On a side note the trait that removes conditions with torch skills is pretty useless, The full duration has to go off and it only removes 1 condition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't see any reason not to include it, considering the design of dungeons in this game suggests that it's intended for us to frequently swap around our weapons and utilities in order to better handle the mechanics of an upcoming fight. And yet our only option in regards to doing that with traits is to just switch to different major traits, without being able to rearrange where the points are spent. Which means, frequently, people will be forced to go into encounters with builds that are simply not ideal.
    Going into a fight without full trait backing isn't supposed to be crippling like in wow

I have to go against dredge and hylek with a blind/ poison heavy build but you don't see me bitching. Major trait swaps are plenty fine
    There's a huge difference between dual spec and saving builds
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

@ZITO
    Hey any chance you can help me out with a build that does good burst but still can bring utility to a group. I'm kinda looking for a greatsword/staff combo with lots clones to shatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    Going into a fight without full trait backing isn't supposed to be crippling like in wow

I have to go against dredge and hylek with a blind/ poison heavy build but you don't see me bitching. Major trait swaps are plenty fine
    There's a huge difference between dual spec and saving builds
    you still don't make a point for why NOT to have it added
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    @ZITO
    Hey any chance you can help me out with a build that does good burst but still can bring utility to a group. I'm kinda looking for a greatsword/staff combo with lots clones to shatter.
    There's one from a few pages back that Zito posted.

Also, I took a day of not playing my mesmer (Borderlands 2 helped that) and played her this morning, and I think I just got burnt out on her. Everything feels pretty good again, except for shatters.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    you still don't make a point for why NOT to have it added
    you must be new to these forums
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

@ZITO
    Greatsword staff has no burst, they have damage that will build up over time but burst is sword and scepters death ray. I'll make you a glass cannon shatter build.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my greatsword/sword+pistol combo. Perfect for pvp coupled with blink and stealth, arcane thievery and moa transform.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Greatsword staff has no burst, they have damage that will build up over time but burst is sword and scepters death ray. I'll make you a glass cannon shatter build.
    Cant wait to see thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    you must be new to these forums
    looks like i've been here a year longer than you, and once again i don't see your point.
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Cant wait to see thanks.
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgEQ...ymkLJZSLKGVMpA

Pretty straight forward, I don't really need to explain. Runes and utility skills you can switch up except the mantras.

Deleted
    How much damage does the phantasmal warden do? Right now I use dual sword/scepter pistol for some insane phantasm damage however the lack of swiftness is really killing me when I swap to swords.

Deleted
    I've been playing this build in pve and wvw on my mesmer since the game came out, works very well for me. And no traits specific to any weapons or utility skills allows you to switch those when needed.
    Wvw version:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgUQNAR8dlwzipXVTkGbdJh5D9+kCqrcUFwOpCqu8BcD

Pve version:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgUQBVCPLoeVNHak1lEmP07TKouyRVA7kKo6yHwNA
    Last edited by mmocfaba3fe16a; 2012-09-19 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    How much damage does the phantasmal warden do? Right now I use dual sword/scepter pistol for some insane phantasm damage however the lack of swiftness is really killing me when I swap to swords.
    Iwarden does the most damage if the target stays still.

Deleted
    Kinda bad for pvp then I guess