So my mesmer is like 55 now and he is a little ZzZzzz.

Does it get better eventually or will GS spam continue into 80 (also in the scarlet events it is hard to keep illusions up)?

I'm kind of nervous to start over since I unlocked some slots and what not but atm mesmer doesn't seem as fun as say, ele/war/guardian/thief. Though there was one WvWvW where a commander made me portal and a bunch of golems came out which actually made me feel useful for once as a mesmer.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    So my mesmer is like 55 now and he is a little ZzZzzz.

Does it get better eventually or will GS spam continue into 80 (also in the scarlet events it is hard to keep illusions up)?

I'm kind of nervous to start over since I unlocked some slots and what not but atm mesmer doesn't seem as fun as say, ele/war/guardian/thief. Though there was one WvWvW where a commander made me portal and a bunch of golems came out which actually made me feel useful for once as a mesmer.
    Mesmer niche in groups is portal and glamour fields. They are fun to play in PvP but in PvE they are very one note. If you want build variety while leveling you can go shatter if you want. Max level builds are usually phantasm, shatter, interrupt or confusion build. Interrupt and confusion builds are slow for leveling and farming in general.

I've used both a shatter and phantasm build and in neither one did I 'GS spam' very much. I tend to like to pull a bunch of stuff, cast Iwarden, Blurred Frenzy, and profit. :P

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Mesmer niche in groups is portal and glamour fields. They are fun to play in PvP but in PvE they are very one note. If you want build variety while leveling you can go shatter if you want. Max level builds are usually phantasm, shatter, interrupt or confusion build. Interrupt and confusion builds are slow for leveling and farming in general.
    I tend to pick classes by how few I think there would be in the game (special snowflake syndrome) but realized during wvw and scarlet zergs that there are 100s of every class (except maybe necros but I'm not too fond of what little necro I have played). Like I said, there has been a time or two where mesmer was interesting to play but I feel like a class should be that most of the time and not in specific situations. It is so hard to pick a main when I haven't xp'd 80 yet, just don't want to regret it if mesmer really isn't right for me.
    Last edited by waddlez; 2013-08-27 at 07:32 PM.

Alright, about to gear my mesmer in exotic berserker gear (since looking at the ascended weapons I know ascended armor ain't happening :P). Wanted to double check on runes though.

Still Ruby Orbs across the board or is there a better suggestion? I switch between shatter and phantasm builds mostly. I know a lot of people have been saying Traveler's for the 25% speed bonus (which would be nice).

Actually, should I be looking at any of the Assassin's stat stuff?

For assassin's gear it's hard to tell, it depends on what sigils you're using and what type of content you do. If you have access to fury (warriors/eles/rangers/...) and banner of disc (wars) (and on top of that spotter but that's not really needed) you shouldn't need assassin's gear.

The only reason to use assassin's gear as of yet is to minimise waste. Or to swap out a sigil of accuracy for force. Think of the people who get 98%crit chance, they are probably better off getting 2% more crit chance.

Ruby Orbs are still second best, best are Scholar Runes. It's possible that in switching from ruby orbs to scholar assassin's gear becomes better but I can't do that math for everyone

Fun thing btw, I calculated the DPS increase of Ascended weapons and its something like 0.5%, yes you read that right half a percent...

Right now I have Superior Sigils of Force in GS and focus with Bloodlust in 1H sword. And you know me, I don't usually do group stuff unless it's a zerg. :P

I don't know how empower allies/spotter and banners work with zergs so it's hard to say.

If you are mainly a solo player assassin's gear might be of more help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Threw some gold at the new Traveller's (wish I had read more *before* patch) May not be the optimal choice, but the speed bonus is wonderful. I feel so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphran View Post
    Threw some gold at the new Traveller's (wish I had read more *before* patch) May not be the optimal choice, but the speed bonus is wonderful. I feel so fast.
    I WvW quite a bit and I'll get the traveler's runes when my mesmer is 80 even if the runes are sub-optimal. I tried focus and don't really like it, but would still like to travel around the map with some speed and this gives me just the opportunity to fulfill my desire of replacing focus with something else I might like better. Plus if I wanted to be more optimal in say a dungeon setting I can just get a second set of gear with better runes no problem.

Can someone explain how to use Signet of Inspiration in groups? Because I am not understanding why it's such a fantastic thing.

It's great to use with parties that bring loads of buffs with typical "short" durations. Think of Protection, Regen, Fury,... You can make the party have those boons twice as long by popping SOI. Another advantage is that it doubles might stacks. If your party has 13stacks of might and you pop SOI all of a sudden everyone has 25stacks of might.

Note that when I say your party I mean you + everyone within range (which if you play "correctly" would be everyone).

So basically pop it whenever you have lots of boons or when you need to help keep might up.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

I tried that, but I really didn't notice a difference. I popped it when the guardian's and warrior's buffs were about to wear off and it didn't appear to extend any durations at all. As for might we went from 16 stacks to 4. That's why I'm confused. And we were stacked on top of each other so it wasn't a range issue.

Did you have the boons? It doesn't look at the other players boons, just yours and yours get "copied".
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Ohh, so it doesn't work for me? It just applies to everyone else? That would explain it. :P

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, does anyone have any tips for utility skills for Subject Alpha in CoE? I usually run SoI, Feedback, Null Field, but Feedback doesn't seem particularly useful for those fights. Wondering if there are any tricks with other skills?

What are you doing in COE? I thought you hated dungeons

Anyway what I use (since I play shatter) is Mirror Images, SOI, Null Field when I'm allowed to bring my mes to CoE (but that's another story )

Well, 2 reasons:

1. Wanted to get the light chest & legs for my necro
    2. Turns out CoE is the only place to get exotic Dire armor (aside from the Jatoro set), which I was wanting to try in WvW.

I figure it's a kill 2 birds with one stone thing. :P

Path 1 was a nightmare. I died a stupid amount of times. I don't know if 2 & 3 were easier or I just quit sucking somewhere along the way. If it weren't for the token grind I probably would have quit after P1. I even asked the party if they wanted me to leave, it was that bad. Fortunately they seemed surprisingly patient with a first timer.

- - - Updated - - -

So, it turns out I have quite a few unused laurels lying around and I'm actually considering giving my mesmer some ascended accessories. While I assume I should look for anything with zerker stats on it I noticed some of the pieces have 4 or more stats on them, which made me wonder which are technically considered BIS?

The ones with most power/prec/crit.

Phantasm and clones need to be separate. It's too much identity crisis.

Going back to my original idea of 3 clones + 1 phantasm

-Deceptive evasion is now baseline
    -Critical infusion last 2.5 seconds down from 5
    -Illusion celerity no longer stacks with other illusion reducing cd effects

-Idefender now has a alternate shatter option: Shatter your defender to heal you and nearby allies for 50% of the amount the idefender absorbed. Last 20 seconds

-Idisenchanter now has an alternate shatter option: Shatter your Idisenchanter swaping up to 2 conditions with up to 2 boons from nearby allies and enemy's. Last 12 seconds

-Phantasmal berserker now has an alternate shatter option: Have your berserker throw its sword at the target location where it persists for whirlwind aoe damage for 6 seconds. This has a chance to bleed on crit. Iberserker now last 12 seconds.

-Phantasmal warlock now has an alternate shatter option: Shatter your phantasm, releasing energy to be fired at the target and up to 4 additional targets around the target for the radius of 360. Inflicts random 3 conditions. Warlock now last for 12 seconds

-Phantasmal mage increase scale based off power and will receive an extra bounce. Now has an alternate shatter option: Shatter your phantasm releasing its soul at the target location which will inflict up to 5 players with a 3 stack of confusion for 6 seconds also a blast finisher. Now last 20 seconds.

-Phantasmal swordsman now has a shatter option: Shatter your swordsman leaving behind its sword to parry incoming melee attacks for 2 seconds and will daze foes for 1 second (2 sec ICD per target) If the target has stability it will just parry attacks instead of dazing. Lasts 12 seconds

-Phantasm warden is now ground target. Now has an optional shatter effect: Empower your warden to follow the target for 3 seconds dealing aoe damage (less then standing still) and then shatters leaving behind its axes at the location of when it shattered reflect projectiles for another 3 seconds. Warden last 15 seconds.

-Phantasmal duelist now has an optional shatter effect: Transfer the soul of the phantasm into the guns releasing a blast projectile at the target for X damage. Blast finisher. Iduelist will now last 12 seconds.

Of course damage will have to be adjusted and attack times but the current system is just awful and boring.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-10-03 at 03:16 AM.

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...9;9;9;9;7V;06l

A WvWvW build that I've been playing with. Goes with PVT Armor and Berserker trinkets. I spent 60g on Traveler Runes *gulp* and wanted a build that functioned well with them. (I WANTED TO BE FREE OF FOCUS OFFHAND!)

The keystones of the build are Illusionary Persona and Restorative Illusions. Good shatter damage + Constant self-heal. Good for roaming. Tanky enough for zerg fights.